What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Prometheus

Juniors
Yes, and it was established as a continuation of St George and Illawarra. The oldest of which was established in 1921.

Prometheus

Juniors
So St George Illawarra have the same Number of Premierships as Wests Tigers?

All together they do, yes.

Though the situations are different. Balmain and Western Suburbs were always separate districts. St George and the Illawarra were all the same district until the Steelers entered the competition.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So St George Illawarra have the same Number of Premierships as Wests Tigers?

WTs have every right to claim that they were founded in 1908 and i think they lose something by ignoring that part of their history...

The "narative" of StG-Illawarra is pretty easy: "The Illawarra branch of the Dragons broke away to form their own identity before rejoining the Dragons". It doesnt need to be true, just believable enough.

WTs should be looking to craft a narative similar to this...

unforgiven

Bench
WTs have every right to claim that they were founded in 1908 and i think they lose something by ignoring that part of their history...

The "narative" of StG-Illawarra is pretty easy: "The Illawarra branch of the Dragons broke away to form their own identity before rejoining the Dragons". It doesnt need to be true, just believable enough.

WTs should be looking to craft a narative similar to this...
So what you are saying is the Wests Tigers should claim 16 premierships? 11 by Balmain, 4 by Wests and 1 from the Wests Tigers? I'm a Wests Tigers supporter and even I think that isn't what we should be doing. I have no problem with the Wests Tigers celebrating their entire history including that of Wests and Balmain, celebrating past players, victories and premierships from all members of the joint venture, but the official record should say the club was formed in 2000 from the merger of the Balmain Tigers and Wests Magpies and has 1 premiership.

jim_57

Staff member
From an outsider's point of view (Cowboys fan) I really don't see why people are so obsessed with trying to deny history of merged clubs. St George Illawarra are a continuation of both clubs so I have no issue with them embracing the history of both and claiming the 1921 and all premierships prior to the merge.

Likewise I wouldn't have an issue with Wests Tigers claiming the history of both clubs as well as their premiership as a joint venture.

My way of looking at it is that a merger is continuation of both clubs as a combined entity, as opposed to the end of both clubs and the start of a new one. All a matter of perception I guess but from the outside it appears most of the people upset about it are fans of less successful clubs trying to score some kind of victory by bringing these clubs down to their level.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Take the Dragons establishment debate elsewhere folks.