What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

It's impressive - after three sponsors in 13 years, they've since had at least 8 different front of jersey sponsors since 2012 (six years) and long periods of no sponsor as well.

2017 - Current: OpalSolar
Mid 2015 - 2016: Southern Radiology
Early-Mid 2015: Blank
Early 2015: Sutherland Holden
Pre-Season 2015: Martec
Late 2014: Labour Health
Early-Mid 2014: Blank
Late 2013: One Solutions
Early-Mid 2013: Blank
Late 2012: Shark Energy
Early 2012: Fisherman's Friend
Pre-Season 2012: X Blades
2010-2011: Hisense
2000-2009: LG
1998-1999: Pepsi

(I've probably missed one or two as well)

you've got em all.
hahah

gzerounian

Juniors
No thanks. It would suck a lot of the individuality out of the league.

Yes in theory but those in charge of making decisions in matters relating to jersey designs seem to be getting it wrong time and time again due to either a lack of common sense or they just don't have a good eye for design. A little bit of micro managing to nudge them in the right direction wouldn't go astray.

I don’t mind the idea of a shield as suggested but perhaps clubs can choose shield, oval, circle style badge (like the old Winfield Cup days) with minimum set dimensions so the badge isn’t smaller than a sponsor logo
This is a great idea which would still allows clubs to have a choice! Some boundaries (eg. minimum dimensions) would be nice.

GAZF

First Grade
Yes in theory but those in charge of making decisions in matters relating to jersey designs seem to be getting it wrong time and time again due to either a lack of common sense or they just don't have a good eye for design. A little bit of micro managing to nudge them in the right direction wouldn't go astray.

This is a great idea which would still allows clubs to have a choice! Some boundaries (eg. minimum dimensions) would be nice.
I don't see how boxing in a logo would influence clubs to make better design choices. Some clubs would be better suited to not being restricted to a shield in my opinion. I think a lot of the desire to return to all shields/roundels/etc.. stems from 80's/90's nostalgia and isn't necessarily a fix for all club identities.

sempmrh

Juniors
Presentation of club logos is probably the least of the problems with rugby league jersey design. It's really not a problem that needs fixing. Maybe they can be a fraction bigger (and even that depends on the design and shape of the logo) but that's about it.

I know we all have these dream scenarios of how to improve rugby league jersey design but in reality, what we have now is probably the best things have been for a long time. Sponsors aren't going away and compared to leagues around the world we're very lucky to have as few sponsors as we have. Just look at some of the teams in Europe of either rugby code. In regards to designs, with maybe a few exceptions (and opinions vary) there's nothing offensively bad right now when it comes to regular home and away jerseys.

gzerounian

Juniors
I don't see how boxing in a logo would influence clubs to make better design choices. Some clubs would be better suited to not being restricted to a shield in my opinion. I think a lot of the desire to return to all shields/roundels/etc.. stems from 80's/90's nostalgia and isn't necessarily a fix for all club identities.

For me its not about nostalgia at all....I'm a bit OCD when it comes to symmetry and balance. The same way I prefer the NSW and Australian coat of arms in a shield on those respective jerseys. Obviously it comes down to personal preference and the only instances that work without a badge is if the design is super simple and no word mark, which is why Souths looks so good.

Rooster8

Juniors
I swear people are too lazy to click links these days.

https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2018/09/19/autocraze-partners-up-with-the-sharks/

While still well and truly alive in 2018, the Cronulla Sharks are pleased to make a significant partnership announcement for 2019, with AutoCraze, Australia's leading wheel/tyre and vehicle upgrade centre, signing on with the Sharks next year.

A one-stop custom car shop for aftermarket wheels, tyres, suspension and 4WD accessories, AutoCraze will become the Sharks official shorts partner in 2019, with their logo to appear on the back right panel of the NRL playing shorts.
Sorry my religion prohibits me from opening links

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
For me its not about nostalgia at all....I'm a bit OCD when it comes to symmetry and balance. The same way I prefer the NSW and Australian coat of arms in a shield on those respective jerseys. Obviously it comes down to personal preference and the only instances that work without a badge is if the design is super simple and no word mark, which is why Souths looks so good.
My frustration with the current 16 logos isn't so much that there's no uniform size, but the shapes are wild. Penrith's is wide, while teams like Dogs and Saints are tall. Just doesn't look right

GAZF

First Grade
I was commenting more on the general trend of the thread where team x should go back to jersey/logo from year [between 1970 and 1995].

The NSW and Australian coat of arms definitely look better in the shields though. I just don't think its the same case for all logos.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Primarliy, it would standardise the colour each logo is pit against. I hate when the Broncos put their maroon logo on a maroon jumper or the Panthers put BlCk on Black. The badges would guarentee contrast and make sure the logo stands out.

I also love the idea of removing the wordmarks from the Logos. Float it above the badge, not through the middle of the image!!!

The badge woudnt need to be a standard shape (circles and ovals would work as well as a shield) but the badge really needs to come back

The Great Dane

First Grade
OR we could just let the clubs and the clubs fans take ownership of their logos and their jerseys and let them handle them how they like (obviously within reason), instead of trying to dictate to them or regulate every little detail of the design or the construction of their jersey and their identity.

Implementing this idea (or others like it) would just be the NRL overstepping it's bounds and regulating things that they really have no business getting there noses into, and would only lead to homogenisation of the clubs and their brands, which is maybe something you personally would like, but individuality and diversity in clubs branding and their images is better for business as different images, ideas, philosophies, iconography, etc, appeal to different types of people...

GAZF

First Grade
Primarliy, it would standardise the colour each logo is pit against. I hate when the Broncos put their maroon logo on a maroon jumper or the Panthers put BlCk on Black. The badges would guarentee contrast and make sure the logo stands out.

I also love the idea of removing the wordmarks from the Logos. Float it above the badge, not through the middle of the image!!!

The badge woudnt need to be a standard shape (circles and ovals would work as well as a shield) but the badge really needs to come back
It looks like clubs are moving away from the the wordmark being built into the icon part of the logo, the most recent offender being the Titans in 2007.

Clubs just need to better consider how the logos will be applied. The Panthers made the dumb decision to not provide enough contrast on their current logo for a black background, and will make it arguably worse by switching from teal to dark grey next year. Broncos are in the same boat.

Some identities work with a containing shape and others don't. Forcing them into using one or the other is not preferable to clubs just making better decisions in the future, and I think they will for the most part.

gzerounian

Juniors
The Panthers made the dumb decision to not provide enough contrast on their current logo for a black background, and will make it arguably worse by switching from teal to dark grey next year. Broncos are in the same boat.

But wouldn't having it inside an enclosed shape fix this problem? Why should the Panther or the Bronco be forced into being a different colour just to contrast the jersey?

Another solution would be what you see below which is not nice at all.

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 9.06.55 am.png

greenBV4

Bench
But wouldnt chucking a logo into a circle or shield make the actual logo even smaller? sure the outside shape will be the same on every jersey but the actual logo inside will still change club-by-club depending on the size and shape of each logo

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
OR we could just let the clubs and the clubs fans take ownership of their logos and their jerseys and let them handle them how they like (obviously within reason), instead of trying to dictate to them or regulate every little detail of the design or the construction of their jersey and their identity.

Implementing this idea (or others like it) would just be the NRL overstepping it's bounds and regulating things that they really have no business getting there noses into, and would only lead to homogenisation of the clubs and their brands, which is maybe something you personally would like, but individuality and diversity in clubs branding and their images is better for business as different images, ideas, philosophies, iconography, etc, appeal to different types of people...
The NRL and its predecessors have owned the branding/licencing for all clubs and their logos since they came into being a 'thing' in the 70s and 80s. Why do you think clubs couldn't continue using their badges when they jumped to Super League in 1997?

GAZF

First Grade
But wouldn't having it inside an enclosed shape fix this problem? Why should the Panther or the Bronco be forced into being a different colour just to contrast the jersey?
It would probably fix the problem in every single case, but it wouldn't necessarily look good.

Enclosing shapes, keylines, simplified elements, different colours, ... they're all different tools a designer can use to better adapt a logo to its application. I'm guessing the roundels/shields/ovals became popular at the time because of manufacturing limitations. We don't really have these limitations anymore and the design styles have evolved as a result.

That doesn't excuse poor design though, which is the case with the Broncos and Panthers. And in my opinion, chucking them in a roundel as a patch-up job is just bad design stacked on top of bad design as they stylistically don't match. The logos would need to be done from scratch to fix the problems.
Another solution would be what you see below which is not nice at all.

View attachment 23591
The keyline on the Panthers logo is a bad example - someone has just offsetted the path with round corners, other versions have used mitre corners with the mitre limit jacked up which is why there were sharp jags on the keyline around the claws. Its just lazy design and the keyline should have been drawn by hand. I just hate the whole logo to be honest, not saying I can do any better but the Panthers have enough resources to have ended up with a better product.

Latest posts