What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It would probably fix the problem in every single case, but it wouldn't necessarily look good.

Enclosing shapes, keylines, simplified elements, different colours, ... they're all different tools a designer can use to better adapt a logo to its application. I'm guessing the roundels/shields/ovals became popular at the time because of manufacturing limitations. We don't really have these limitations anymore and the design styles have evolved as a result.

That doesn't excuse poor design though, which is the case with the Broncos and Panthers. And in my opinion, chucking them in a roundel as a patch-up job is just bad design stacked on top of bad design as they stylistically don't match. The logos would need to be done from scratch to fix the problems.

The keyline on the Panthers logo is a bad example - someone has just offsetted the path with round corners, other versions have used mitre corners with the mitre limit jacked up which is why there were sharp jags on the keyline around the claws. Its just lazy design and the keyline should have been drawn by hand. I just hate the whole logo to be honest, not saying I can do any better but the Panthers have enough resources to have ended up with a better product.
I don't think they've offsetted the path with round corners, I think they've literally applied the stroke blending option and slid the number up to 100

GAZF

First Grade
I don't think they've offsetted the path with round corners, I think they've literally applied the stroke blending option and slid the number up to 100
I think they set it to 80. But I'm just being pedantic.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The NRL and its predecessors have owned the branding/licencing for all clubs and their logos since they came into being a 'thing' in the 70s and 80s. Why do you think clubs couldn't continue using their badges when they jumped to Super League in 1997?

Well that totally misses the point that was being made...

Nuke

Staff member
I can confirm 100% that those new NRL logos posted here a few pages back are in fact on the jerseys with the words 'TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP' stitched underneath.

NRLWA had our annual awards night (our version of the Dally Ms) last night, which includes a video package of NRL players saying things like 'Best of luck to all the nominees, and congratulations to the winners. See you for Origin 2 next year' (that sorta thing). Manly's jersey and Wests Tigers jersey both had this new logo (and I think there was another one, but I forget who)... and Wests Tigers also have a 20yrs logo that I saw briefly. All I can recall of that is that there is a black banner across the bottom saying '20 years'.

sempmrh

Juniors
I can confirm 100% that those new NRL logos posted here a few pages back are in fact on the jerseys with the words 'TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP' stitched underneath.

NRLWA had our annual awards night (our version of the Dally Ms) last night, which includes a video package of NRL players saying things like 'Best of luck to all the nominees, and congratulations to the winners. See you for Origin 2 next year' (that sorta thing). Manly's jersey and Wests Tigers jersey both had this new logo (and I think there was another one, but I forget who)... and Wests Tigers also have a 20yrs logo that I saw briefly. All I can recall of that is that there is a black banner across the bottom saying '20 years'.
Were the logos in club colours? Was the Telstra Premiership wording the same as the logos shown in this thread or less wide?

Zerô

Juniors
Funny folk them Wests Tigers.

Constant infighting
Never settle on a jersey design

Yet, with very minor changes, they've kept the same logo in 20 years

Nuke

Staff member
NRL Telstra Premiership logo was just black and white.
The stitching underneath was the same as what the players normally have in the centre of the chest for special events (anniversary games, ect) ... except was under the NRL logo. I think it said 'NRL TELSTRA' on the top line and on the 2nd line had 'PREMIERSHIP' ... which is what the logo posted above has, but it was just a simple stitching text and wasn't the bolder font used in the logo above.

I guess the examples I saw could just be initial ones given they've not yet officially been released anywhere that I've seen, so I guess could be changed to being club colours at a later date, but the 2-3 jerseys I saw last night had them all the same.

Nuke

Staff member
Again, I think that the logo was the inverted version of the ones that @Zerô posted, as in it was a black background with white Telstra logo, white border, and white double-chevron.

If that's the case, and should the jerseys not have club-coloured NRL logos, then I would imagine on darker jerseys, the white logo would be used, and the black logo would be used on light-coloured jerseys.

That's just a guess though.

greenBV4

Bench
Again, I think that the logo was the inverted version of the ones that @Zerô posted, as in it was a black background with white Telstra logo, white border, and white double-chevron.

If that's the case, and should the jerseys not have club-coloured NRL logos, then I would imagine on darker jerseys, the white logo would be used, and the black logo would be used on light-coloured jerseys.

That's just a guess though.

My main concern with this is for the clubs with multiple colours on the chest (ei Rooster's and Storm's vees)
Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 1.52.46 pm.png
a thin single colour shield with no background wont be visible at all, and Im worried that means they will end up with "boxes" around them (like some sponsors)

Nuke

Staff member
My main concern with this is for the clubs with multiple colours on the chest (ei Rooster's and Storm's vees)
View attachment 23638
a thin single colour shield with no background wont be visible at all, and Im worried that means they will end up with "boxes" around them (like some sponsors)

Nah, there's a background. I forget which one I saw on those jerseys last night, but now that I see my mockups (of Newcastle ... because I go for the Knights!) side-by-side, I'm pretty sure it was the version on the right (black background, white everything else). Like I said in my earlier post, the text underneath, at least on the jerseys I saw last night, was stitched text, not sublimated ... but they may just be early ones done for promo purposes.NK2019 jersey mockup.jpg

Nuke

Staff member
Incidentally, the logos will be officially unveiled October 18th, so we've got a few weeks to speculate on the rest of the details and the logos' usage.

I sent the logos to my mate in the NRL to see what he knew about them. He was surprised I'd seen them and told me they were being unveiled officially on that date. I guess I won't get too much else out of him about them until then..!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That date roughly coincides with last year's draw release, so that makes sense.

greenBV4

Bench
It looks alright on that knights jersey, but I still dont think it'd work well with the chevron/vee jerseys

GAZF

First Grade
Hopefully the jersey number font will be updated to match the new identity. The current one blows.

Latest posts