What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Membership

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What is the second column?
The first two columns are a comparative count of this year vs last year. Wherever possible they're the same date but sometimes that's not always the case - so the date is written under the year.

(which as someone else pointed out, until Dec 31, says next year, but I'd like to think people understand what it means)

Frederick

Staff member
The first two columns are a comparative count of this year vs last year. Wherever possible they're the same date but sometimes that's not always the case - so the date is written under the year.

(which as someone else pointed out, until Dec 31, says next year, but I'd like to think people understand what it means)
So, basically what thorson said the day before you. You must really like the look of your own words to repeat what others have said before you. Gotta get that post count up, I suppose

Timmah

Staff member
Judging by the figures across the bottom (2015 final count vs 2018 final count) it's roughly 24% total growth over 3 years (4 seasons).

2016 growth was 13%
2017 growth was around 2.5%
2018 growth was 8%

I think the growth figure for this coming year will depend on a few things:
  • Whether Parra cop a dent in member numbers due to the WSS uncertainty
  • If any Broncos fans walk away over the Bennett coaching saga
  • Whether Melbourne can keep retaining a high base despite high profile players leaving (Cronk) or retiring (Slater)
  • Whether Souths get a nice bump after a year of good form (following years of declining numbers)

Billythekid

First Grade
Judging by the figures across the bottom (2015 final count vs 2018 final count) it's roughly 24% total growth over 3 years (4 seasons).

2016 growth was 13%
2017 growth was around 2.5%
2018 growth was 8%

• If any Broncos fans walk away over the Bennett coaching saga
  • Whether Melbourne can keep retaining a high base despite high profile players leaving (Cronk) or retiring (Slater)
  • Whether Souths get a nice bump after a year of good form (following years of declining numbers)

I think the WSS debacle won’t end up being an issue. It’ll be sorted before the season starts and there will be a lot of hype closer to the season starting.

I can’t see the storm continuing with the growing numbers but I don’t see them going far backwards off the back of a GF. Likewise I think the broncos will stay about flat YoY.

Souths will get a bump IMO.

Personally I think we’ll see quite a few fluctuations but I expect we’ll see more growth this year on the back of the WSS in terms of both crowds and memberships. I think 2020 will also get a boost from the cowboys stadium so I definitely see more growth to come.

I think the other new Sydney stadiums will give a boost but they’re a little further out.

Timmah

Staff member
I think the WSS debacle won’t end up being an issue. It’ll be sorted before the season starts and there will be a lot of hype closer to the season starting.
My gut feel was the same until I read the opening date for WSS appears to have been pushed to June. That now means the Eels will have to play elsewhere for the first third or even half of the year.

horrie hastings

First Grade
My gut feel was the same until I read the opening date for WSS appears to have been pushed to June. That now means the Eels will have to play elsewhere for the first third or even half of the year.

Looks like ANZ gets a few more Parra games then if WSS is not up an running :( Could do a bit of deja vu and play at Belmore just like the Eels did when Parra stadium was being built ;)

Just looked at the Waratahs draw and they have 3 games booked in at WSS so they might have to move those if its not completed in time, one was for late April, then late May and early June.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Looks like ANZ gets a few more Parra games then if WSS is not up an running :( Could do a bit of deja vu and play at Belmore just like the Eels did when Parra stadium was being built ;)
The way the Eels' statement read last week was that ANZ was costing them a motza - wouldn't surprise me if they tried taking games elsewhere. Would make sense to include their NT home game in there, probably late April or early May to ensure it's not too hot.

Billythekid

First Grade

Didn’t see that. Well that’s a shame, still think we’ll see a positive impact on crowds next year. Memberships probably won’t get the same benefit.

taipan

Referee
Think have the Bobby Dazzler at Manly coach, may give them a membership and crowd boost.

With Slater gone ,think the Storm numbers will remain fairly static.

Prometheus

Juniors
I think that the wooden spoon would have a bigger effect on Parramatta's membership numbers than the WSS saga would.

Timmah

Staff member
I think that the wooden spoon would have a bigger effect on Parramatta's membership numbers than the WSS saga would.
They've kept their base growing in spite of poor form in general over the last 5-10 years. The genuine concern amongst the fanbase (perhaps someone like @Suitman can add some understanding) as I understand is how the new ground is managed, including how many games end up being there (initial plan was 11, that could be in doubt), seating allocations etc.

If the ground isn't ready as has been speculated in the press this week - then that will certainly have plenty of members reconsidering their positions, you'd think. That's more important to them than the team's form, which they've already ridden the highs and lows of.