What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Membership

Suitman

Post Whore
I think that the wooden spoon would have a bigger effect on Parramatta's membership numbers than the WSS saga would.

In fact, it would have the opposite effect. Eels fans are so desperate for success that any positive sign would be seen as a bonus.

They've kept their base growing in spite of poor form in general over the last 5-10 years. The genuine concern amongst the fanbase (perhaps someone like @Suitman can add some understanding) as I understand is how the new ground is managed, including how many games end up being there (initial plan was 11, that could be in doubt), seating allocations etc.

If the ground isn't ready as has been speculated in the press this week - then that will certainly have plenty of members reconsidering their positions, you'd think. That's more important to them than the team's form, which they've already ridden the highs and lows of.

You are right.
Eels membership numbers have been an extraordinary success considering years of failure. 3 wooden spoons in recent years has done nothing to dent renewals, which have remained progressively solid.
Personally, I don't think the stadium construction date timeline being delayed by a month or two will have much influence on renewing members either.
What is desperately needed is for the Eels to show some success on the field to take advantage of the honeymoon period of the new stadium. Another season like the last would be a killer.
The Wanderers are in the same boat.
For both clubs, Homebush has been an absolute killer. Both clubs are desperate to return to their spiritual home.

taipan

Referee
Just logged in to nrl.com,then
West tigers .Quickly popped up in members section 12,190.
Assume this is members to date?

ReddFelon

Juniors
View attachment 24518

Hard to get a decent gauge on how we're tracking til all clubs are reporting - main differences here seem to be Parra aren't on sale yet. WT aren't reporting but the Dogs are which is the opposite of this time last year.

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/32567-2019-nrl-club-membership-tracker/
Damn, the Des signing must've invigorated some of our folks, I'm pretty shocked that we're at 6k, I mean auto-renewal sure, but still I pictured us nosediving after this past season and the Barrett drama.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Just logged in to nrl.com,then
West tigers .Quickly popped up in members section 12,190.
Assume this is members to date?
I saw that little flash before the page fully loads, not sure. Until they are properly publishing I won't include it

Timmah

Staff member
That increase by the Warriors is incredible, could break 20,000?
My best guess is that their auto-renewals have kicked over earlier this year. It's hard to read into any clubs' figures this early.

Billythekid

First Grade
5 Nov update

View attachment 24734

16k behind last season but with three less clubs reporting - this time last year they were Wests Tigers with 8k, Panthers 5k and Cowboys 4k which close that gap completely.

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/32567-2019-nrl-club-membership-tracker/

I apologise in advance for a possibly silly question but aren’t we also missing the eels who already had 11K at this point? I know it’s probably because of the WSS but missing one of our biggest clubs will probably reduce the numbers somewhat.

Timmah

Staff member
I apologise in advance for a possibly silly question but aren’t we also missing the eels who already had 11K at this point? I know it’s probably because of the WSS but missing one of our biggest clubs will probably reduce the numbers somewhat.
Yep - I was only referring to clubs on sale - Parra remain the only club yet to actually be on sale

Billythekid

First Grade
Yep - I was only referring to clubs on sale - Parra remain the only club yet to actually be on sale

That makes it hard to quantify where we stand compared to last year but does make it likely we’ll see this years numbers quickly overtake last years when Parras memberships eventually go on sale.

I’m pretty curious how the WSS will affect memberships. Not just for Parra but also clubs like the west tigers taking a lot of games there. If memberships grow significantly and crowds there are much better will we see more clubs moving games away from suburban grounds?

Timmah

Staff member
That makes it hard to quantify where we stand compared to last year but does make it likely we’ll see this years numbers quickly overtake last years when Parras memberships eventually go on sale.

I’m pretty curious how the WSS will affect memberships. Not just for Parra but also clubs like the west tigers taking a lot of games there. If memberships grow significantly and crowds there are much better will we see more clubs moving games away from suburban grounds?
I hope so. Stadia like WSS are the future of the game IMO

Western_Eel

Juniors
i cant really see teams like manly or cronulla playing out of there, but bulldogs would be a good fit

Timmah

Staff member
i cant really see teams like manly or cronulla playing out of there, but bulldogs would be a good fit
Given the modal uses of Allianz in the design proposal (e.g. disguising top decks to reduce capacity) I imagine those clubs will be encouraged to use it for some games down the line. Probably not for 5-10 years if that.

The Marshall

Juniors
Andrew Hill (Dogs CEO) said at a members forum last week that the Penrith game the ‘Dogs are taking there next year is to give the fans a taste of what the stadium is like. It sounded a lot like they will be playing the majority of games there when ANZ is getting redeveloped.