What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

possm

Coach
I see. IMO we shouldn't even speculate on the possibility of Jack not being on board for round 1! The guy has rights. He is innocent until proven guilty!

On the topic, he would have been a great (c) but I guess he has figuratively and literally screwed that chance.

If Pearson and/or Ravalawa don't make it, they should find someone else other than Pereira. He will be a good backup but just like Marketo didn't have it in the forwards no matter the fantastic effort he put in, Pereira doesn't have it as a winger.

Lomax as one centre is a no-brainer (so McFooknuckle will probably pick him on the wing) and with a fast winger he can put away, I'm optimistic about Lafai.

I am not completely sure but I think the cupboard is bare. Maranta, Runciman, and the new young additions (Saab) to the top 30 are I believe outside of contention in 2019.

The likes of Field, Sailor, Masters are unlikely to be considered as wingers. Dufty and Aitken are also for different reasons not considered to be a good fit on the wing.

BLM01

First Grade
You are a masochist. Widdop has been 5/8 and marquee playmaker for 5 f**king years of hell! Norman will be 5/8 and Widdop will be fullback. A good fullback, but a ridiculously overpaid fullback.

Lomax and Aitken to be centre and wing but swap around? Is this what you would do or what you think the idiot will do? If the former..... well it would be interesting to see if you and @Old Timer ever logged on at the same time.

Masochist...whats that!.
Anyway I liked Widdop as our 5/8th for the past 5 years...Got it!. NEXT TOPIC

Lomax & Aitken?...Answer..The former....and the latter. Mary and me just might think alike on this one. Only because we got no f**king (if you can swear so can I) 1st grade right wingers or centres except for Lomax No. 1 and next one down the queue is Aitken.
Interesting for who?..You?. Who cares if me and OT log on at the same time.

Como Connection

First Grade
Not only is Dufty weak at the back in defence, it is adjustments like this that will put another nail in the coffin of SGI. Last season we had fatigue set in mainly because our props were not rotated enough and our hooker was buggered after having to complete more than 40 tackles a game all season.

Fading at the end of the season for the past few years because of fatigue and injuries to our forwards is something that SGI must address if the Club wants to progress deep into the final series.

Two young fit props, a backrower and a player who can play in the hooker rotation/backrow is seen as the logical measure to address the problems of the past few years.

Dufty has now signed for the next two years and Robson needs to be signed long term. It is logical that Dufty works on his self development in 2019, and Robson is selected in the 17 in the hooker rotation. Aitken should be dropped to ISP and let go when his contract is up. It is my opinion that Aitken has peaked in his development as a centre.

Having said all of this my team for round 1 would be:

1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Pereira/Ravalawa
6 Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Leilua
12. T Sims
13. De Belin/Frizell

14. Robson
15. Lawrie
16. Kerr
17. Host
A very senior member of the Dragons executive also agrees that Aitken has reached his potential at centre, so there is some hope that Lomax will take his spot.
CC

possm

Coach
Field cant defend and waterboy wont pick him on the wing or centre unless desperate so i dont dream. I choose the best scenario with reality of what will be our top starting 17 to start Round 1..
You know what... I would not have Aitken as my centre either but the lack of wingers of 1st grade proven quality (recent) has forced our hand. If these list of reserve grade wingers stand up and prove their worth..ship Aitken out. Lomax to right centre.
But for me Lomax / Aitken combo on the right side will perform better than including these unproven bunnies of Pearson, Ravalawa, Maranta, Runciman and anyone else you can think of.
Until they prove better..that is how I would go In Round 1. Round 2..well see.

After a full off-season training program, sure the coaching staff have an idea of the skills possessed by contenders for the wing spots. We know Pearson and Ravalawa have size and speed, do they have the skills necessary to:
Take the high ball under pressure
Defend one on one with confidence and good judgement
Have the footwork to beat the opposition
Position themselves correctly in attack and defence
Have good ball retention when being tackled
Able to play the ball quickly
Able to bring the ball out of their red zone with speed and power

Surely it would not be hard to conduct progressive tests for these wingers during off-season training. In my day as a player, we were all given drills and tested on skills similar to those mentioned above. We were all coached to overcome our shortfalls.

BLM01

First Grade
After a full off-season training program, sure the coaching staff have an idea of the skills possessed by contenders for the wing spots. We know Pearson and Ravalawa have size and speed, do they have the skills necessary to:
Take the high ball under pressure
Defend one on one with confidence and good judgement
Have the footwork to beat the opposition
Position themselves correctly in attack and defence
Have good ball retention when being tackled
Able to play the ball quickly
Able to bring the ball out of their red zone with speed and power

Surely it would not be hard to conduct progressive tests for these wingers during off-season training. In my day as a player, we were all given drills and tested on skills similar to those mentioned above. We were all coached to overcome our shortfalls.
Your day is long way from today as is mine.
But...Mary the great white coach will go with the established 1st graders.
And they dont know how they perform in games yet to warrant selection for 1st grade.
They can show what their got in reserves or 1st grade trials and then push someone out sooner than later if they can transfer training skills to on field playing.

BLM01

First Grade
A very senior member of the Dragons executive also agrees that Aitken has reached his potential at centre, so there is some hope that Lomax will take his spot.
CC
But will the coaching staff listen or agree to 1 opinion..what about the new fly on the wall The Board / Coaching Advisor

DragonJ

Juniors
Masochist...whats that!.
Anyway I liked Widdop as our 5/8th for the past 5 years...Got it!. NEXT TOPIC

Lomax & Aitken?...Answer..The former....and the latter. Mary and me just might think alike on this one. Only because we got no f**king (if you can swear so can I) 1st grade right wingers or centres except for Lomax No. 1 and next one down the queue is Aitken.
Interesting for who?..You?. Who cares if me and OT log on at the same time.
I see. Well could I ask you to flay yourself in private? Widdop had his chance as a playmaker........ 5 years f**king straight and failed miserably!!! Now we have a really good playmaker on the books in Norman to compliment an excellent running halfback in Hunt. And you want to go back to the same thing that has been tried again and again for the last 5 years!

@Old Timer is the same. McFooknuckle is just an idiot but I don't think @Old Timer is at all. He is just a guy who tries the same thing over and over and expects a different result. GET IT?

Let's just hope Widdop can make it as a fullback because Norman and Hunt are going to quickly lock themselves in an an excellent halves combination.

Crush

Coach
I can't remember this much anticipation about how a team will line up round 1.
What an off-season, its definitely been a lively one.
I'd say JDB won't start now. The noise is too loud and I think you will see him remove himself from the team until he clears his name in court (or try to)
As for the makeup of the spine and backs, well less than a month to go before we see what Mary has come up with. I still reckon he'll go conservative and stick with Widdop/Hunt halves and his beloved Lafai/Aitken centre pairing.
Fullback will likely be shared between Dufty and Norman I reckon.

Old Timer

Coach
You are a masochist. Widdop has been 5/8 and marquee playmaker for 5 f**king years of hell! Norman will be 5/8 and Widdop will be fullback. A good fullback, but a ridiculously overpaid fullback.

Lomax and Aitken to be centre and wing but swap around? Is this what you would do or what you think the idiot will do? If the former..... well it would be interesting to see if you and @Old Timer ever logged on at the same time.
What a dickhead statement
Trying to make a point by repeating is not winning any arguement
I see. Well could I ask you to flay yourself in private? Widdop had his chance as a playmaker........ 5 years f**king straight and failed miserably!!! Now we have a really good playmaker on the books in Norman to compliment an excellent running halfback in Hunt. And you want to go back to the same thing that has been tried again and again for the last 5 years!

@Old Timer is the same. McFooknuckle is just an idiot but I don't think @Old Timer is at all. He is just a guy who tries the same thing over and over and expects a different result. GET IT?

Let's just hope Widdop can make it as a fullback because Norman and Hunt are going to quickly lock themselves in an an excellent halves combination.
You keep saying we tried the same thing for the last 5 years and you say it all failed because of Widdop.
Do you in anyway understand the following?
It has not been the same halves combination for 5 years albeit Widdop is the constant.
Prior to Hunt not 1 halves partner wearing 7 was of 1st grade standard they were all bog average and in fact a liability.
Last year finally we get a recognised 7 who unfortunately did not have his very best year but combining with Widdop we led the comp and finished 1 game out of top spot and during that period and we even lost Widdop to major injury andvypon his return we sparked the Broncis and but for reinjuiing himself might have got the bunnies.
So your arguement of 5 years exactly the same is just a load of old codswallop.

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
Trying to make a

You keep saying we tried the same thing for the last 5 years and you say it all failed because of Widdop.
It has not been the same halves combination for 5 years albeit Widdop is the constant.
Prior to Hunt not 1 halves partner wearing 7 was of 1st grade standard they were all bog average and in fact a liability.
Last year finally we get a recognised 7 who unfortunately did not have his very best year but combining with Widdop we led the comp and finished 1 game out of top spot and during that period and we even lost Widdop to major injury andvypon his return we sparked the Broncis and but for reinjuiing himself might have got the bunnies.
I don't know why you respond to this broken record TBH.

BLM01

First Grade

Snnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

DragonJ

Juniors
Trying to make a point by repeating is not winning any arguement

Which player is mostly to blame for the last 5 years is a matter of opinion. It could only be Frizz, JDB, LAM, Widdop or Nightingale. What is factual is how we have fared. And you and @BLM01 want to try the same thing yet again but expect a different result. That is the fact.

Norman will be 5/8 and @Crush is right that if Widdop can't make a go of it at fullback, he will be in the ISP. Personally I'm confident he can do well at fullback. Though given the salary he is on, merely "doing well" shouldn't spare him from criticism IMO. He had better excel at fullback. Don't you agree? Or are you with @TruSaint? i.e. No criticism of Widdop to be allowed under any circumstances.

TruSaint

Referee
Which player is mostly to blame for the last 5 years is a matter of opinion. It could only be Frizz, JDB, LAM, Widdop or Nightingale. What is factual is how we have fared. And you and @BLM01 want to try the same thing yet again but expect a different result. That is the fact.

Norman will be 5/8 and @Crush is right that if Widdop can't make a go of it at fullback, he will be in the ISP. Personally I'm confident he can do well at fullback. Though given the salary he is on, merely "doing well" shouldn't spare him from criticism IMO. He had better excel at fullback. Don't you agree? Or are you with @TruSaint? i.e. No criticism of Widdop to be allowed under any circumstances.

LMAO.......

Keep digging during recess breaks.

TruSaint

Referee

You have gone from Widdop playing ISP, to him taking performance enhancing drugs ( leading to kidney failure which u then qualified as a joke ) , to tagging member after member re some delusion that some of us support Bellamy's comments ( none of which can be confirmed ).

Please show me where I have suggested we should take advice of outside coaches ?

Just one post will do mate.

In fact your continual tagging of members have led to some politely asking you to refrain, yet within 1 day you continued.

You are an embarrassment to the fans of this club, and you can adjust all your jokes re PED's to humour, but the underlying fact remains you are a troll and nothing more.

I gave you rope for a few weeks, and boy you didn't disappoint.

possm

Coach

A good game will gain my praise and a bad game will receive my criticism.

DragonJ

Juniors
A good game will gain my praise and a bad game will receive my criticism.
Fair comment. He is getting paid too much compared to other fullbacks but any criticism should be directed at McFooknuckle, Coyne and etc. They should have negotiated a reduced salary for this year in return for the release next year and threatened to put Widdop in the ISP if he refused.

You have gone from Widdop playing ISP, to him taking performance enhancing drugs ( leading to kidney failure which u then qualified as a joke ) , to tagging member after member re some delusion that some of us support Bellamy's comments ( none of which can be confirmed ).

Please show me where I have suggested we should take advice of outside coaches ?

Just one post will do mate.

In fact your continual tagging of members have led to some politely asking you to refrain, yet within 1 day you continued.

You are an embarrassment to the fans of this club, and you can adjust all your jokes re PED's to humour, but the underlying fact remains you are a troll and nothing more.

I gave you rope for a few weeks, and boy you didn't disappoint.

Look at the content of and who liked who "liked" the 3rd post and the last on this page:
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/widdop-seeks-release.473590/page-51
the 7th on this page:
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/widdop-seeks-release.473590/page-52
and almost certainly others if I cared enough to look.
Bellamy and Andrew Johns are rivals. Do you understand? They don't want the best for us. Any "advice" they give shouldn't be "promoted" but should be followed up with a chorus of STFU and worry about your own f**king teams!
I'm sorry if humor disservices you but having Widdop take PEDs and have kidney failure in two years was just that. As I pointed out. But I knew you would be furious due to me stating Widdop is not the best athlete in the NRL.

TruSaint

Referee
Fair comment. He is getting paid too much compared to other fullbacks but any criticism should be directed at McFooknuckle, Coyne and etc. They should have negotiated a reduced salary for this year in return for the release next year and threatened to put Widdop in the ISP if he refused.

Look at the content of and who liked who "liked" the 3rd post and the last on this page:
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/widdop-seeks-release.473590/page-51
the 7th on this page:
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/widdop-seeks-release.473590/page-52
and almost certainly others if I cared enough to look.
Bellamy and Andrew Johns are rivals. Do you understand? They don't want the best for us. Any "advice" they give shouldn't be "promoted" but should be followed up with a chorus of STFU and worry about your own f**king teams!
I'm sorry if humor disservices you but having Widdop take PEDs and have kidney failure in two years was just that. As I pointed out. But I knew you would be furious due to me stating Widdop is not the best athlete in the NRL.

HELLO... ... Where did i state that we should take Bellamy's advise ?
Show me pls ... I may like many posts for many reasons you dimwit.

Usually when the posts respond to your paranoia. And there are plenty of likes to be had.
Pls review my likes and their context.
PS your jokes about PED's and kidney failure show the mindset you have.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Feb 10, Post #1027 under Widdop seaks release thread. You said.

" But you know what? What @Belta says is accurate. I think the nightmare is over. Widdop is going to be fullback and he is going to do well there. Having said that, @TruSaint brings up something very relevant. Widdop is going to be one of if not the highest paid fullback in the competition. IMO he will do well but no way in the world he will be near as good as fullbacks on less money like Tedesco (officially), RTS, Trejbovic. Just one final farce for McFooknuckle to preside over."

When did i say Widdop is the highest paid FB in the game?

I have plenty more of your falsehoods. Couldn't be arsed as you have tagged me so many times it aint funny, and the other members will get bored of this c-off.

Good night and get some help.