What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

Crush

Coach
Which player is mostly to blame for the last 5 years is a matter of opinion. It could only be Frizz, JDB, LAM, Widdop or Nightingale. What is factual is how we have fared. And you and @BLM01 want to try the same thing yet again but expect a different result. That is the fact.

Norman will be 5/8 and @Crush is right that if Widdop can't make a go of it at fullback, he will be in the ISP. Personally I'm confident he can do well at fullback. Though given the salary he is on, merely "doing well" shouldn't spare him from criticism IMO. He had better excel at fullback. Don't you agree? Or are you with @TruSaint? i.e. No criticism of Widdop to be allowed under any circumstances.
Brother, as previously stated, please stop quoting me.
Thanks champ.

DragonJ

Juniors
HELLO... ... Where did i state that we should take Bellamy's advise ?
Show me pls ... I may like many posts for many reasons you dimwit.

Usually when the posts respond to your paranoia. And there are plenty of likes to be had.
Pls review my likes and their context.
PS your jokes about PED's and kidney failure show the mindset you have.

I posted the URLs and told you the specific posts. If that's not enough, not my problem.
Feb 10, Post #1027 under Widdop seaks release thread. You said.

" But you know what? What @Belta says is accurate. I think the nightmare is over. Widdop is going to be fullback and he is going to do well there. Having said that, @TruSaint brings up something very relevant. Widdop is going to be one of if not the highest paid fullback in the competition. IMO he will do well but no way in the world he will be near as good as fullbacks on less money like Tedesco (officially), RTS, Trejbovic. Just one final farce for McFooknuckle to preside over."

When did i say Widdop is the highest paid FB in the game?

I have plenty more of your falsehoods. Couldn't be arsed as you have tagged me so many times it aint funny, and the other members will get bored of this c-off.

Good night and get some help.

If you want me to comment on that, you should quote me in the proper way.

If I apologized and stated that I was wrong and Widdop is in fact the best athlete in the NRL, would you not cry yourself to sleep?
Brother, as previously stated, please stop quoting me.
Thanks champ.

I didn't. At least not recently. You're welcome, champ.

SBD82

Coach
I used to think that no one could be a worse coach than Mary.

Then I read some of the teams that have been posted in this thread.

My mistake.

TruSaint

Referee
I posted the URLs and told you the specific posts. If that's not enough, not my problem.

If I apologized and stated that I was wrong and Widdop is in fact the best athlete in the NRL, would you not cry yourself to sleep?

LMAO...
Sleep well petal .. You are the gift that keeps on giving.
Pls check your posts after you were asked by the member above not to reference him. You lasted less than a day Try not to delete or edit.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
LMAO...
Pls check your posts after you were asked by the member above not to reference him. You lasted less than a day Try not to delete or edit.
If he didn’t misquote us he would have even less credibility if that is at all possible
I just love the way he thinks he has us on the hook by referencing us
He reminds me of the plastic Neddy horse you used to get in a box of Weeties
Tie a bit of cotton on his nose, connect it to the little plastic star and then hang the star over the end of the table and Neddy just plods along exactly the same way every time until he ultimately falls off the end of the table into oblivion
Then you pick him up off the floor and do it all again.
Very dependable indeed.

Crush

Coach

You know that @Crush thing you do?
Like you did today at 6:05pm?
Thats what I meant by quoting, perhaps I should have said mentioning?
Dunno.
Appreciate your support and all but I'd prefer not to be mentioned regularly you know?
Thanks champ. Stay strong.

DragonJ

Juniors
LMAO...
I hope you have gone to bed. It's bad for your health to stay up this late. I'd be happy to reply to your query when you learn how to quote someone properly.

So, getting right back on topic.....@Crush doesn't like it when we get off topic. I have just a few small changes to @possm 's team

1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Ravalawa
6 Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Friz
12. T Sims
13. de Belin

14. Robson
15. K. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Aitken

Is that bench too light? Aitken gets denounced for his reads in defence, unfairly in my opinion. They guys inside and outside of him are as much to blame. His weakness is that he can hardly pass and almost never pass at the right time.

His strength is that he such a strong ball runner. He breaks one or more tackles almost every time he runs the ball. Coming on in the middle for the last 10min of the first half or as a backup if there is an injury in the backline could be just his game.

If either of the wingers disappoint us, Aitken to get first go at replacing them. Pereira is dynamic and tenacious but small and slow for a winger. If he is in the best 17, we have at least one glaring weakness.

Drag Queen

Bench
Feb 10, Post #1027 under Widdop seaks release thread. You said.

" But you know what? What @Belta says is accurate. I think the nightmare is over. Widdop is going to be fullback and he is going to do well there. Having said that, @TruSaint brings up something very relevant. Widdop is going to be one of if not the highest paid fullback in the competition. IMO he will do well but no way in the world he will be near as good as fullbacks on less money like Tedesco (officially), RTS, Trejbovic. Just one final farce for McFooknuckle to preside over."

When did i say Widdop is the highest paid FB in the game?

I have plenty more of your falsehoods. Couldn't be arsed as you have tagged me so many times it aint funny, and the other members will get bored of this c-off.

Good night and get some help.[/QUOTE This geezer is like a dog with a bone. Beyond help TS. Best response is no response.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
It seems that when " The Media " say shit these days too many people just jump on board without putting too much thought into it as if those in the media have the right answers to everything. Case in point, a few of those in the NRL / sports media hear that Saints bought Norman and immediately throw out the assumption that he'll play 5/8 with Widdop to fullback and everyone goes " yeah....I guess ", including Mary and our coaching staff.
Did no-one stop and wonder if that's such a good idea given what happened last year , for example ;
1. Widdop and Hunt in their first year together had us comfortably top of the table until Round 16 and were easily the best halves combo in the league. From there we faltered as usual but you can't blame the halves, more our coaches, Origin and a drop in intensity from our overworked pack.
2. There's every reason to expect that Hunt and Wids could have improved on their first year as they become more familiar with each others game.
3. If Widdop plays in the semi against Souths we win and possibly go on to GF glory.
4. Our spine, not just our halves, were gelling almost to perfection in just their first year together. Beyond all expectation.
5. Dufty was close to our best in attack all year and also proved to be a great organizer from fullback.
6. Corey Norman could do nothing to help his team rise above 16th on the ladder, despite quite a bit of talent around him.

I can't see how the team with Norman 5/8 and Widdop fullback can possibly improve on last year, I just can't. It won't happen. Buying Norman has done for our team what Brexit has done for English politics.
We had a good thing going, now it's a mess.

The line up I'd be happy with is something close to this,

1. Dufty
2. Ravilawa / Pearson / Marsters - whoever steps up of those guys or even Field, just as long as they have speed or they're a beast like Ravilawa ( did you see his hit on Matautia, flattened him ).
3. Lomax / Aitken
4. Norman
5. Periera
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Frizell
12. T. Sims
13. JDB / Lawrie if Jack stood down.

14. Robson / Field
15. K.Sims
16. Leilua
17. Host / Plenty of options if these guys don't step up.

If you have to squeeze Norman in why not push out an underperformer and see how he goes. He can still contribute from there and makes our left side more lethal.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
It seems that when " The Media " say shit these days too many people just jump on board without putting too much thought into it as if those in the media have the right answers to everything. Case in point, a few of those in the NRL / sports media hear that Saints bought Norman and immediately throw out the assumption that he'll play 5/8 with Widdop to fullback and everyone goes " yeah....I guess ", including Mary and our coaching staff.
Did no-one stop and wonder if that's such a good idea given what happened last year , for example ;
1. Widdop and Hunt in their first year together had us comfortably top of the table until Round 16 and were easily the best halves combo in the league. From there we faltered as usual but you can't blame the halves, more our coaches, Origin and a drop in intensity from our overworked pack.
2. There's every reason to expect that Hunt and Wids could have improved on their first year as they become more familiar with each others game.
3. If Widdop plays in the semi against Souths we win and possibly go on to GF glory.
4. Our spine, not just our haves, were gelling almost to perfection in just their first year together. Beyond all expectation.
5. Dufty was close to our best in attack all year and also proved to be a great organizer from fullback.
6. Corey Norman could do nothing to help his team rise above 16th on the ladder, despite quite a bit of talent around him.

I can't see how the team with Norman 5/8 and Widdop fullback can possibly improve on last year, I just can't. It won't happen. Buying Norman has done for our team what Brexit has done for English politics.

1. Dufty
2. Ravilawa / Pearson / Marsters - whoever steps up of those guys or even Field, just as long as they have speed or they're a beast like Ravilawa ( did you see his hit on Matautia, flattened him ).
3. Lomax / Aitken
4. Norman
5. Periera
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Frizell
12. T. Sims

14. Robson / Field
15. K.Sims
16. Leilua

If you have to squeeze Norman in why not push out an underperformer and see how he goes. He can still contribute from there and makes our left side more lethal.
When can you paint the gym and assume the coaches responsibilities?
I dont agree with your team entirely but your sentiments are very much the same as mine.
Our 5/8 not a problem our 3 & 4 absolutes light weights so we potentially change the 5/8 to bloke that has big wraps yet no results and keep 3 & 4.
Stevie Wonder has more vision than our coach.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
1. Widdop
2. Ravalawa
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Pearson
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Robson
15. Leilua
16. K.Sims
17. Lawrie

Coffs dragon

Bench
Here goes.....
1. Dufty
2. Periera
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Pearson
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Frizell
12. T.Sims
13. K.Sims
14. Robson
15. Leilua
16. Lawrie
17. Latimore/Kerr
I believe Norman needs to earn his stripes thru some strong performances in ISP! JDB not considered as yet pending decision.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Here goes.....
1. Dufty
2. Periera
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Pearson
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Frizell
12. T.Sims
13. K.Sims
14. Robson
15. Leilua
16. Lawrie
17. Latimore/Kerr
I believe Norman needs to earn his stripes thru some strong performances in ISP! JDB not considered as yet pending decision.
you put pearson ahead of ravalawa even though you havnt seen him yet interesting .........

getsmarty

Immortal
2019-preview_dragons.jpg

PREVIEW

St George Illawarra Dragons 2019 season preview
Author
Dan Walsh & Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Mon 25 Feb 2019, 08:01 AM

The Dragons' 2018 finals campaign wound up with a bang few would’ve thought them capable of achieving, but their storming finish spelled out what is often forgotten in their late-season clock-offs.

St George Illawarra's premiership window is open, and with three quality playmakers in Ben Hunt, Corey Norman and Gareth Widdop working behind a pack littered with rep players, this is their best title shot since 2010.

With Widdop exiting the club at season's end too, now is the time to take their shot.

The Dragons' propensity to start fast and stall spectacularly from the middle of the year onwards still ranks as Paul McGregor's biggest concern.

But the ongoing court case for Jack de Belin and growing controversy over his availability also looms large as the season kick-off nears.

The 2019 outlook
What's new
The Dragons let go more regulars than they gained, with the club looking to a bumper crop of young talent rather than the market for reinforcements.

The club has lost two quality wingers in Jason Nightingale (retirement) and Nene Macdonald (Cowboys), but Zac Lomax's emergence late last season is easing concerns out wide.

dsc03959.jpg

Dragons recruit Corey Norman. :copyright:dragons.com.au
Norman's arrival adds another point of difference to their attack and Matt Dufty's short-term future, though his new two-year contract means he won't be leaving as a result.

The utility bench role is likely to fall Dufty's way following Kurt Mann's departure to Newcastle while Korbin Sims is a virtual straight swap for Leeson Ah Mau (Warriors) in another boost for an already intimidating pack.

The draw
Two trips to Queensland – where the Dragons have struggled in recent years – have them taking on the Cowboys and Broncos in early March heat, making for a tough opening month that also features clashes with Souths and Newcastle.

Three five-day turnarounds, equal-most in the NRL, also loom as a challenge for the Red V with their traditional Anzac Day blockbuster against the Roosters to be played at the SCG off a short preparation.

The Dragons' run into the finals is a relatively smooth one based off last year's ladder. They face the Titans twice over the last six weeks of the Telstra Premiership as well as the Eels and Wests Tigers either side of back-to-back clashes with the Roosters and Cronulla.

The stat that gives you hope
The Dragons conceded fewer tries following a penalty than all comers bar Melbourne in 2018. Just 21 tries were scored against McGregor's side in the set after an infringement.

preview_dragons_20190200.jpg

What you need to know NRL Fantasy wise
Tackle machine Cameron McInnes ($837,000) is one of the hardest-working 80-minute hookers in rugby league and could rival Damien Cook and Cameron Smith for NRL Fantasy points this season. Young gun Zac Lomax ($230,000) looms as one of the most popular cheapies of 2019 in the outside backs, and Luciano Leilua ($447,000) has the potential to be a Fantasy star if he can play big minutes in a stacked pack.

The coach
Regardless of who you ask, McGregor is always one spoken-about coach – rated under pressure one minute, then praised the next. His ability to get the side into the finals in 2018 was his biggest achievement and may have just secured his job for a further few seasons.

NRL.com reported in February that McGregor had begun discussing a contract extension with the club for beyond 2019. Anything less than a finals finish, especially after a contract renewal, won't go down well with the faithful.

Contract matters
Some of the Red V's best and brightest are up for grabs with Jai Field, Blake Lawrie and under 20s Origin talents Tristan Sailor and Reece Robson off contract.

de-belinj-try-18030822_grant-trouville.jpg

James Graham celebrates a try. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
Gareth Widdop's confirmed move to England at the end of 2019 should free up some funds for that quintet, while James Graham will also make a call on the final year of his contract – in 2020 – that is an option in his favour.

The burning question
Can the Dragons manage the rep period drain?

With Tyson Frizell, Tariq Sims, Paul Vaughan and de Belin incumbent NSW forwards and Ben Hunt a likely starter for Queensland again, St George Illawarra will be hurting during and after the Origin period. They'll be better for navigating the scenario in 2018, but it'll be no easy matter this time round either.

Representative bolter
Korbin Sims has floated around Origin discussions and camps more than once and could come into contention given Queensland are coming off a rare series loss. Brother Tariq's shift to the Dragons delivered career best form and a NSW debut last year, though chief on Korbin's to-do list is dropping his average missed tackles from the two per game he missed in 2018.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Knights

The player you should follow on social media
Tariq Sims. No other player represents the South Coast of NSW more than the Blues forward. If he's not on the training paddock he's exploring every beach or community gathering around town with his family of four. Add in Korbin's arrival and you can expect a lot more social content coming from the Sims clan over the 2019 season.

The quote
"We go hard at this time of the year and put in the work so we can be there at the back end of the season. We've got a really happy group and we know we can do something special in 2019." – Tyson Frizell.

2019 squad
Euan Aitken, Mitchell Allgood, Jack de Belin, Matt Dufty, Tyson Frizell, Jai Field, James Graham, Jacob Host, Ben Hunt, Josh Kerr, Tim Lafai, Jeremy Latimore, Blake Lawrie, Luciano Leilua, Zac Lomax, Lachlan Maranta, Cameron McInnes, Darren Nicholls, Corey Norman, Jonus Pearson, Jordan Pereira, Mikaele Ravalawa, Reece Robson, Tristan Sailor, Korbin Sims, Tariq Sims, Lachlan Timm, Paul Vaughan, Gareth Widdop.

Note: These club squads are subject to change. Each club is required to submit 29 of their official 30-man playing squad to the NRL by March 1. The final spot in theses rosters can remain free up until June 30.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/25/st-george-illawarra-dragons-2019-season-preview/

Crush

Coach
1. Dufty
2. Saab
3. Lomax
4. Ravalawa
5. Pearson
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. Robson
10. Vaughan
11. Frizzell (c)
12. T Sims
13. K Sims
14. Norman
15. Lawrie
16. Leilua
17. Kerr

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
4. Our spine, not just our haves, were gelling almost to perfection in just their first year together. Beyond all expectation.

1. Dufty
3. Lomax / Aitken
4. Norman
5. Periera
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Frizell
12. T. Sims

14. Robson / Field
15. K.Sims
16. Leilua

At last someone else has shafted Lafai!! Great team potential in the above posts