What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 TEAM

Frank Facer

First Grade
Really Tedesco ? He is a rooster now and shall remain so , perhaps another player that the cashed up Dragons (?) should be going after is Munster ? Dil Rothschilde ‘s exclusive that he was off to the rorters come 2020 is perhaps something to give some thought to .

How many times have those Bondi car-dealers trumped the Dragons when it has come to signing players of late ? Who knows now , we may find ourselves with T.P.A.’s running out of our ears with the new setup - maybe .
I identified Munster as a target for 2020 a couple of months back. He can play 5/8, fullback or even centre if need be. I'm not at all surprised to hear that Easts have identified Munster as there target too.

Frank Facer

First Grade
This is great stuff.
From next year we get Rapana, Roberts, Jennings, Norman, Pangai Junior?
I especially love how you finish with "then in 2020 sign munster and johnson".
FF, thats some imagination mate!
lol

I know that we aren't Easts, but Easts could do it. We would have to let Aitken, McInnes and Lafai go. Nightingale is retiring, McDonald is going to Nth Qld.

As for 2020, we would have to be letting Dufty and Widdop go to accommodate Munster and Johnson and organise some big TPA's.

Yes I do have a good imagination.

BTW I didn't expect any of those players to be here next year, but that is what I would like to imagine our team to be next year. We were apparently trying to get Rapana here before the June 30 deadline, but he isn't officially off contract until the end of 2019. If we do get Bennett for next year, I still hope that he will bring Pangai Junior with him and some other players too.

gitano

Juniors
I identified Munster as a target for 2020 a couple of months back. He can play 5/8, fullback or even centre if need be. I'm not at all surprised to hear that Easts have identified Munster as there target too.
Identifying a current international as a target isn't some sort of genius foresight mate. We need to be buying players on the way up or we'll continue to struggle with depth.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Identifying a current international as a target isn't some sort of genius foresight mate. We need to be buying players on the way up or we'll continue to struggle with depth.
We need the best players in our 1, 6, 7 and 9. Munster would be a better 5/8 or fullback than we already have got. In our current situation I doubt very much if we could get him, but I don't doubt Easts ability to sign him and they already have a better roster than we do. We should be aiming high. Even if we could snare a good youngster who becomes a top liner, then we will still have to pay him market value to keep him. Of players off contract at the end of 2019, who would you suggest that we target to play fullback or 5/8 for us?

BTW If we continue to struggle to compete with the big clubs for the big name players, then we will continue to struggle to win another comp. Just imagine if we would have signed Tedesco for 700K on the cap. lol

possm

Coach
We need the best players in our 1, 6, 7 and 9. Munster would be a better 5/8 or fullback than we already have got. In our current situation I doubt very much if we could get him, but I don't doubt Easts ability to sign him and they already have a better roster than we do. We should be aiming high. Even if we could snare a good youngster who becomes a top liner, then we will still have to pay him market value to keep him. Of players off contract at the end of 2019, who would you suggest that we target to play fullback or 5/8 for us?

BTW If we continue to struggle to compete with the big clubs for the big name players, then we will continue to struggle to win another comp. Just imagine if we would have signed Tedesco for 700K on the cap. lol

I see a future for Lomax at fullback. He will be our Ponga/Mitchell.

If Bennett comes, I see Roberts and Oaks being added to our bakline and it will be up to the new coach who he keeps out of Aitken, Lafai and Herbert for the other centre spot.

If Macdonald goes to the Cowboys, we will need another big winger to replace him and Rapana seems to be the best fit however, if Millward can't sign him, then Tupou maybe the alternative.

With regards to our forward pack, we have K Sims coming to replace Ah Mau but even with Frizell moving to prop, we still need one more mongrel prop to complete our rotation. I am not confident that Graham will be up for the job in 2019 and if he is, it will be a back up position in ISP where he will help develop our young forwards. We have enough depth in our backrow.

j0nesy

Bench
I don’t think we need to go on a mass buying spree for next season. Perhaps just a replacement winger for Nighty and possibly an extra forward for depth (not sure how the young blokes are progressing).

1. Dufty
2. Lomax (or new signing)
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. MacDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Sims
13. JDB

14. K Simms
15. Lattimore (or new signing)
16. Leilua
17. Mann

18. Field
19. Robson
20. Lawrie
21. Host

gitano

Juniors
I don’t think we need to go on a mass buying spree for next season. Perhaps just a replacement winger for Nighty and possibly an extra forward for depth (not sure how the young blokes are progressing).

1. Dufty
2. Lomax (or new signing)
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. MacDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Sims
13. JDB

14. K Simms
15. Lattimore (or new signing)
16. Leilua
17. Mann

18. Field
19. Robson
20. Lawrie
21. Host
Good post. Good to read a common sense one once in a while.

giboz71

First Grade
If I had to choose from our confirmed squad for next year?

Dufty
Pereira (or new winger)
Mann
Lomax
Nene
Widdop
Hunt
JDB
T Sims
Luc
Friz
McInnes
Vaughan

K Sims
Graham
Host/Lawrie
Robson/Aitken

Some observations:

If Luc keeps progressing, he needs to be starting on 1 edge. And Friz showed with his try last week he can play middle.

The days of Aitken and Lafai as our centres needs to be over. Aitken could fill a spot on the bench if he really needs to be in the 17. Lafai just needs to disappear. No more slow coaches please.

I’d be recruiting hard for a seasoned winger to take over Periera’a spot. An extra prop woundn’t go astray either.

Bench
I think Jordan P could be on the wing next season. Still learning but he is an aggressive player.
We do need another starting prop, but we do have a few backs coming through and I do rate Robson and would like to see him on the bench.
We need to bring Lomax and possibly Herbert next year. Our younger players are out future

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Yes- well said- the basic proposition we need to accept is that the 2018 SGI backline would not feature in the top six backlines in the NRL. Dufty, as a previous poster pointed out is, at the moment, a glorified touch player. He may develop into a good full back but his body type is against him. Most probably he will move into the halves long term as he's just too small. Nightingale played a season too long, Lafai and Aitken are a LONG way short of the great centre pairings of the clubs past ( most recently Gasnier and Cooper but before them Beattie and Johnston and Finch and Quinn). Nene can be brilliant but also chooses the wrong option, doesn't run hard enough for a big guy and drifts out of games too much for my liking. Widdop isn't a 5/8. He may have bilateral kicking skills but his passing skills are poor. He passes before the line and panic passes rather than take the tackle. Bennett likes him as a full back but for mine, he is a lock- good tackler, support player and needs to be near the play. Hunt is probably an above average half but no way is he a million dollar player. That puts him in Joey Johns league- which he aint

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yes- well said- the basic proposition we need to accept is that the 2018 SGI backline would not feature in the top six backlines in the NRL. Dufty, as a previous poster pointed out is, at the moment, a glorified touch player. He may develop into a good full back but his body type is against him. Most probably he will move into the halves long term as he's just too small. Nightingale played a season too long, Lafai and Aitken are a LONG way short of the great centre pairings of the clubs past ( most recently Gasnier and Cooper but before them Beattie and Johnston and Finch and Quinn). Nene can be brilliant but also chooses the wrong option, doesn't run hard enough for a big guy and drifts out of games too much for my liking. Widdop isn't a 5/8. He may have bilateral kicking skills but his passing skills are poor. He passes before the line and panic passes rather than take the tackle. Bennett likes him as a full back but for mine, he is a lock- good tackler, support player and needs to be near the play. Hunt is probably an above average half but no way is he a million dollar player. That puts him in Joey Johns league- which he aint
I doubt that Dufty will end up in the halves. When the rest of the team is playing well or just holding their own, Dufty looks alright or even brilliant, but when the team is getting hammered, he gets exposed badly. He must improve under the high ball, that is my biggest concern with him. I think there are other better fullbacks, but Dufty has won us numerous games this year and is the only X factor we have in our backline right now. I can see what you mean, when you say Dufty is a glorified touch footy player and I do agree that his body type goes against him.Unless we can sign someone better such as Tom Turbo, Teddy, Munster or Ponga, then still think that Dufty is our best option right now.

Widdop has proven to be too hot and cold. He just lacks something, like a killer instinct or fortitude or something. I think we can do better than Widdop at 5/8. I didn't see him play for England at fullback last year. Maybe fullback would be his go, I don't know? He was playing fullback before being moved to 5/8 at Melbourne.

Hunt was playing excellent until he got his cork. He is still the best halfback we have had in over 35 years. His long kicking game can be average. Is he a natural game manager?

McDonald is apparently going to Nth Qld next year, so we need a new 2, 3, 4 and 5 for next year.

SGMax

Juniors
Luciano stepping up and Frizell moving to Prop may have solved our need for another front rower.
Would love another top line prop if we can afford it....we would be solid even with a couple of injuries.
I like Latimore and he is good to have as backup. His role this year was valuable to us.

I was thrilled to hear we were talking to Rapana for a mid year switch.
It means he may be available and Canberra haven't got him completely tied up.
Hope something comes of it in the off season.

I hope Nene stays. I think he is unfairly treated on this forum.
For Lomax, a lot will depend on whether he is brought in via the wing or goes straight to centre.
Aitken may then need to keep his position or Mann may fill it depending on how tough the coach gets.

I am happy to give Lawrie and Host another year to ease into first grade waiting for opportunities.
Also good to see Field look comfortable during his stint vs the Tigers.

Overall, things looking good for next year but hope the club is still on the lookout.
With Luc, Dufty,Lawrie , Host, Robson and Latimore all on lower end contracts there should be some cap space for bargain buys of top line talent.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
It could be a Red and White thing but the Dragons have to some extent copied the Swans model and are in danger of ending up with a similar poor result. The Sydney Swans may have dramatically increased revenue streams and memberships after signing Buddy Franklin to a 10 year multi million dollar deal but five years on it hasn't delivered a premiership and the odds are lengthening of this happening as each year goes by and Buddy gets older. Ben Hunt is nowhere near the quality of Buddy but is on similar money and chewing up probably 400,00-500,000 dollars more than he's worth. The Dragons will struggle to get the sort of backline quality, in particular, that is needed to win a flag for the next 5 years or so because of that error of judgement.

Crush

Coach
Please nobody start a Ben Barba thread just because the news is he is coming back to the nrl.
PLEASE!

Frank Facer

First Grade
It could be a Red and White thing but the Dragons have to some extent copied the Swans model and are in danger of ending up with a similar poor result. The Sydney Swans may have dramatically increased revenue streams and memberships after signing Buddy Franklin to a 10 year multi million dollar deal but five years on it hasn't delivered a premiership and the odds are lengthening of this happening as each year goes by and Buddy gets older. Ben Hunt is nowhere near the quality of Buddy but is on similar money and chewing up probably 400,00-500,000 dollars more than he's worth. The Dragons will struggle to get the sort of backline quality, in particular, that is needed to win a flag for the next 5 years or so because of that error of judgement.
And who do you think we should have signed to play halfback for us, instead, or who would you suggest we target?

hewi

Bench

Personally, I think u r been very hard on Hunt. The fact is without a top half you will never win a premeiership.

41yearsaint

Juniors
Personally, I think u r been very hard on Hunt. The fact is without a top half you will never win a premeiership.
Totally agree, a few tweaks to our outside backs and we will win a premiership soon. The problem is with the staff, not the team.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

I didn't in fact say we shouldn't have signed Hunt-my view is that offering him the superstar money for 5-6 years was the mistake. With superstar money comes superstar expectations and he is plainly struggling to meet those expectations as he just isn't a superstar. HIs team mates are publicly supporting him for now but this may wear thin as time goes by and the resentment of the money he is receiving increases. His wife's extraordinary rant is evidence of the mental pressure he is feeling. On overall form and consistent value to the team in 2018, I would rate him behind Cronk, Cleary, Reynolds, Townsend and Cherry-Evans. Benny dropped him last year- first warning sign- then Walters for Origin.

Latest posts