What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 TEAM

Frank Facer

First Grade
I didn't in fact say we shouldn't have signed Hunt-my view is that offering him the superstar money for 5-6 years was the mistake. With superstar money comes superstar expectations and he is plainly struggling to meet those expectations as he just isn't a superstar. HIs team mates are publicly supporting him for now but this may wear thin as time goes by and the resentment of the money he is receiving increases. His wife's extraordinary rant is evidence of the mental pressure he is feeling. On overall form and consistent value to the team in 2018, I would rate him behind Cronk, Cleary, Reynolds, Townsend and Cherry-Evans. Benny dropped him last year- first warning sign- then Walters for Origin.
I would take Hunt of Adam Overrated Reynolds and Townsend any day of the week.

possm

Coach

Hunt performed well early on in the season behnd a dominant pack of forwards. Once the forwards started to show fatigue and did not dominate, Hunt's game fell apart as did the rest of the backline's - including Widdop and Dufty. Mary's 'power game' only works when the power is on and the opposition coach is asleep at the wheel.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hunt performed well early on in the season behnd a dominant pack of forwards. Once the forwards started to show fatigue and did not dominate, Hunt's game fell apart as did the rest of the backline's - including Widdop and Dufty. Mary's 'power game' only works when the power is on and the opposition coach is asleep at the wheel.
I don't think Hunt has been playing as badly as the media and some others are making out he is.

Dragon93

Juniors
Watching NSW Cup like others have said it's pretty evident Robson, Lomax & Herbert are a class above that level

With the development of Luc i think we could afford to move Tyson into the front row permanently in 2019 and have an even stronger forward pack especially on rotation. Add in the couple of talented backs above with limitless talent & geez we would have a strong team across the entire park and relatively not too old

I'd love to see something similar to this team in 2019:

1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Lomax
4. Mann/Aitken
5. Herbert (Wingers almost more important than centers now, has all the skills to kill it at wing)
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Frizzel (Maybe add slightly more weight over preseason without affecting leg speed)
9. Mcinnes
10. Vaughan
11. Luc
12. T.Sims
13. De Belin

14. Graham
15. K.Sims
16. Host/Lawrie/Latimore
17. Robson (This kid is the future @ 9 and maybe even for Rep sides very talented but could play across the backrow when he comes on too if need be)

I think without buying any top class already established backs that could add some well needed spark. Just depends on how McGregor can go at developing that youth coming through.

Anyway back to 2018 first, Go the Saints!!

ALSGI

Bench
Watching NSW Cup like others have said it's pretty evident Robson, Lomax & Herbert are a class above that level

With the development of Luc i think we could afford to move Tyson into the front row permanently in 2019 and have an even stronger forward pack especially on rotation. Add in the couple of talented backs above with limitless talent & geez we would have a strong team across the entire park and relatively not too old

1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Lomax
4. Mann/Aitken
5. Herbert (Wingers almost more important than centers now, has all the skills to kill it at wing)
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Frizzel (Maybe add slightly more weight over preseason without affecting leg speed)
9. Mcinnes
10. Vaughan
11. Luc
12. T.Sims
13. De Belin

14. Graham
15. K.Sims
16. Host/Lawrie/Latimore
17. Robson (This kid is the future @ 9 and maybe even for Rep sides very talented but could play across the backrow when he comes on too if need be)

I think without buying any top class already established backs that could add some well needed spark. Just depends on how McGregor can go at developing that youth coming through.

What about JP and Field?

Dragon93

Juniors
JP has been going really well since coming into grade but i just think Herbert has a far higher ceiling height in ability & where he can get too.
Plus i watch JP run and while he is nuggety he runs very rigid which doesn't open him up well to an offload/pass or contorting his body for crazy finishes in the corner like a lot of wingers these days. I think Patty Herbert has all the skills to succeed in first grade for us at Fullback, Center or Wing not sure JP could do the same but he has been playing pretty good since he got his opportunity.

Fields an interesting one a tonne of talent but I'm not so sure if he can fully translate it to FG? I think as well with who we have coming through he might be just behind them. Where would you play him?

My biggest worry is we have some real talent coming through that we haven't for a while that i hope we retain the right ones. Also Mary gives them a run so they don't leave, would hate to see Herbert or Robson move on for an opportunity they don't get here and carving us up in the future.

possm

Coach
After watching the Dragons play against Mounties in ISP today and in the hope we sack Mary and sign Bennett for 2019, I think our best team would be:
1. Lomax
2. Macdonald - size, high kicks, speed and big metres
3. Herbert - speed, defence, pasing
4. Roberts - speed and passing
5. Oats - size, high kicks, speed and big metres
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Pangai Jr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T Sims
13. De Belin

14. Frizell
15. K Sims
16. Host
17. Mann/Robson

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Actually, I should have added Thurston, Shaun Johnston and even Luke Brooks to my previous list which gives Hunt an even lower ranking- I'm amazed at how many of you rate Hunt so highly- in relation to the key skills a half back needs, the only area where I would concede that Reynolds is inferior to Hunt is his running game and given that Hunt is struggling to pick the times he should run or not, even that is not clear cut. When you watch Souths backline, the passing is crisp and accurate and the ball gets to the wing in no time - SGI's laboured and inaccurate- and mostly before the line- causing runners like Frizzell to be confronting defenders who've had time to rush up in defence and then having to chop back infield- Hunt is not alone there, Widdop is an offender as well. Also, Hunt's general play kicking is nowhere near as precise as Reynolds. Hunt is regularly too long with his bombs or too heavy with his grubbers. Reynolds can land those spiral torpedoes on a 5c piece. Reynolds is also a superior goal kicker and field goal kicker as well. Both have defensive issues.

Smurf

Juniors

1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Lomax
4. Mann/Aitken
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. Mcinnes
10. Vaughan
11. Luc
12. T.Sims
13. De Belin

14. Graham
15. K.Sims
16. Host/Lawrie/Latimore

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
After watching the Dragons play against Mounties in ISP today and in the hope we sack Mary and sign Bennett for 2019, I think our best team would be:
1. Lomax
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Pangai Jr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T Sims
13. De Belin

14. Frizell
15. K Sims
16. Host
17. Mann/Robson

We can but hope but Mary seems to have a Svengali hold over people (even Gus Gould) and he exudes all the confidence of ignorance. He unashamedly explained away his previous fade outs on NRL 360 and Paul Kent, another of his fans, bought it. Maybe a move to the Philippines and we can become the famous Manila folders!.

However, even if by some miracle we do get Bennett back, Oates wants to play second row- one probable reason is that back rowers generally speaking get more money than wingers. We're learning the hard way what a great loss Brett Morris was. I think he'll do really well at the Roosters -even at his age. For some reason, apart from Lomax, the talented Dragons lower grade backs are all midgets so we might need to look elsewhere.

Smurf

Juniors

1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Lomax
4. Mann/Aitken
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. Mcinnes
10. Vaughan
11. Luc
12. T.Sims
13. De Belin

14. Graham
15. K.Sims
16. Host/Lawrie/Latimore

Great post
I too just watched the game on Fox
My standouts
Lomax Herbert Robson
We need to sign Herbert ASAP.
I also thought Field played really well.
In the forwards ( apart from Robson ) Lawrie runs hard

possm

Coach
We can but hope but Mary seems to have a Svengali hold over people (even Gus Gould) and he exudes all the confidence of ignorance. He unashamedly explained away his previous fade outs on NRL 360 and Paul Kent, another of his fans, bought it. Maybe a move to the Philippines and we can become the famous Manila folders!.

However, even if by some miracle we do get Bennett back, Oates wants to play second row- one probable reason is that back rowers generally speaking get more money than wingers. We're learning the hard way what a great loss Brett Morris was. I think he'll do really well at the Roosters -even at his age. For some reason, apart from Lomax, the talented Dragons lower grade backs are all midgets so we might need to look elsewhere.

You hit the nail on the head. And I suppose the trick is to pay him backrow money on the condition he will play which ever position Bennett wants him to play. Cast off Aitken, Lafai, and Dufty. Nightingale is retiring. Promote Herbert and Lomax. Buy Roberts and Oats. All of a sudden we have a great backline with speed and solid defence. Yes with size, speed and good attacking skills.

Bench
I think that we still need a top prop, we have strength in our back line coming through and they deserve a chance. McIdiot needs to drop this selecting the same players and promote our ISP players.

LINESPEED

Juniors

1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Lomax
4. Mann/Aitken
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. Mcinnes
10. Vaughan
11. Luc
12. T.Sims
13. De Belin

14. Graham
15. K.Sims
16. Host/Lawrie/Latimore

Minus Aitken.
One dimensional, slow centres with limited ball skills?

Why can't your above team run out next week?

Our chance is now!

There's so many ad lib tries being scored that the above team would take the opposition apart ? I'd include Field for sure.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Minus Aitken.
One dimensional, slow centres with limited ball skills?

Why can't your above team run out next week?

Our chance is now!

There's so many ad lib tries being scored that the above team would take the opposition apart ? I'd include Field for sure.

Add young David Fifita to our list. He is just the type of young prop we need.

nontime111

Juniors
Id love to see all out attack launched next year
Waite style team

Herbert
Dufty
Mann
Lomax
Nene
Widdop
Hunt backline for a start with Field on the bench and Robson also to give Mcinnes a spell

Bench
Last night Bennet showed everyone how to use bench players, I hope McIdiot was watching. He might learn something.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
1. Lomax
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Pangai Jr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T Sims
13. De Belin

14. Frizell
15. K Sims
16. Host
17. Mann/Robson

Bennett has committed to the Broncos for 2019. He was always going to stay. So that team unfortunately is a bit of a pipe dream. There is also no way we'd be able to fit all of those players under the cap haha.