What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Top 30

franklin2323

Immortal
No way do I agree with that. Since last year we've had the following players play NRL andland leave:

1. Moylan
2. Crichton
3. Peachey
4. Hiku
5. Oldfjeld
6. TMM
7. Wallace
8. Mckendry
9. Rein
10. Latu
11. Akauolo
12. CHN
13. Cartwright

Mez possibly joining the list. Which is fine. But we need to be bringing experience in aswell.

If we dont have a single guy on the minimum wage we are wasting money. Its that simple. Some of the guys in 2018 and 2019 shouldnt be in an NRL top squad... why would we pay names filling a roster more then we need to?

Guys with no FG experience should be on min wage. Guys like Phillips that didn't play FG for over a year also should be

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
We pay overs for developing players in an attempt to install a sense of loyalty in them. We pay extra so you don't wont to leave the club because they feel indebted to the club for being so good to them early in their career.
We recently signed Mansour, RCG, Cleary, Yeo, Edwards and Kikau. None of them tested the market and were happy with whatever we offered them. So maybe its working.

franklin2323

Immortal
We pay overs for developing players in an attempt to install a sense of loyalty in them. We pay extra so you don't wont to leave the club because they feel indebted to the club for being so good to them early in their career.
We recently signed Mansour, RCG, Cleary, Yeo, Edwards and Kikau. None of them tested the market and were happy with whatever we offered them. So maybe its working.

Is it though? Sure we make the 8 but is that going to win the comp? Here is what I think our top 17 is and how long they could realistically play for

Edwards (8-10 years)
Mansour (5)
Blake (8)
Whare (5)
DWZ (8)
Maloney- this will last deal
Cleary (10)
RCG (8)
Katoa (8)
Grant this is it
Kikau (8)
Yeo (8)
JFH (8)
May (8)
Leota (8)
Tamou - this is it
Fuimaono (8)

If we assume Luai and Hetherington are next in line. Then we have our team locked in long term. Why does it matter if young guys leave? So why the need to put them on overs

mxlegend99

Referee
We recently lost Moylan, Peachey, CHN, Carty, Latu, Hiku, TMM etc.

The reasons vary. But exactly how are we developing a loyalty other clubs dont have without paying overs go fringe guys?

We pay overs. They play a few games and expect even more. They will still leave at the first opportunity they get for more money snd/or better opportunities.

Paying overs to a big name makes sense. Paying overs to players who should be grateful to even be in the top squad is ridiculous. Our roster is in a permanent state of rebuilding. Hopefully Ivan puts a stop to that.

It’s a bad strategy that won’t pay off like people expect.

The 80% system talent goal is over the top, likely driven by the panthers fans overrating our juniors.

2003 GF team was basically 50/50 juniors & outside talent.

OldPanther

Coach
It’s a bad strategy that won’t pay off like people expect.

The 80% system talent goal is over the top, likely driven by the panthers fans overrating our juniors.

2003 GF team was basically 50/50 juniors & outside talent.

I agree that there is too much emphasis on it but blaming the fans is pretty silly.

I agree that there is too much emphasis on it but blaming the fans is pretty silly.

I don’t think so, fan expectation rubs off on the admin.

That’s not to say it’s all their fault but it’s a factor.

Look at the tweets Gus gets all the time, people constantly asking him who the next big junior is, when are we going to re-sign X junior.

OldPanther

Coach
I don’t think so, fan expectation rubs off on the admin.

That’s not to say it’s all their fault but it’s a factor.

Look at the tweets Gus gets all the time, people constantly asking him who the next big junior is, when are we going to re-sign X junior.

Gus's favourite line is "listen to the fans and you'll be sitting with them" or words to that effect. I doubt he cares that the fans get excited other than the good PR when a junior is signed.

Gus's favourite line is "listen to the fans and you'll be sitting with them" or words to that effect. I doubt he cares that the fans get excited other than the good PR when a junior is signed.

Well he clearly shares a similar sentiment in this regard, and I’d say that comes from him being a product of the panthers.

Local pride was always a big thing for Penrith due to its distance from the rest of Sydney, when Penrith came into existence in 1967 it was basically a country town. I think a lot of the mentality surrounding juniors comes from that.

OldPanther

Coach
Well he clearly shares a similar sentiment in this regard, and I’d say that comes from him being a product of the panthers.

Local pride was always a big thing for Penrith due to its distance from the rest of Sydney, when Penrith came into existence in 1967 it was basically a country town. I think a lot of the mentality surrounding juniors comes from that.

If it's a cultural thing for the area we will just have to deal with it I guess. It's a good thing they've expended into other areas for juniors.

Big Pete

Referee
The only position Penrith have to sort out is their #9, and Wayde Egan could very well be the answer in that position. He was the best dummy half coming through the juniors and if he can return to that form, he'll be the best hooker Penrith have had since Priddis.

Penrith have one of the strongest competitions in the roster, and there's every reason to believe they can win the comp next year.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Katoa and Egan will improve dramatically.

First pre-season where there's no Wallace in front of them and they're just pushed to the side.

They'll actually work with their surrounding players before the season starts instead of it mainly being a mid-season thing.

Panther Mick

Juniors
Anyone know if Talakai is with us for next year? I thought I read when he came to us mid season he was told he would have a chance to earn a top 30 spot for 2019.

TheFrog

Coach
If we dont have a single guy on the minimum wage we are wasting money. Its that simple.
If we're paying 10 guys 125k instead of 105k its chickenfeed really...you pay peanuts you get monkeys. That would be the strategy.

Pomoz

Bench

That has nothing to do with it. If it did, he would have tried that at the Roosters but he built a dynasty there with a different approach. Albeit, he did improve their junior programme.

At the Panthers he studied the Broncos and looked at their strategy for success. He saw that their aim was to have 80% juniors and he believed that since they are the most successful club in the NRL, it was a strategy worth emulating.

I believe 80% is an aspirational goal, but will be flexed as and when required. The main thing is it gets the club focused on its junior development pathways. It makes it clear we are a development club. This has to be our primary source of players. Why?

Well, since we have one of the largest junior bases, which is a source of competitive advantage, it would be strange not to use the resource. Secondly, we are not a glamour club. Our location is not attractive to 90% of players, we don't have a long and storied history and we can't offer lots of TPA's to sweeten the pot.

All of the strategies espoused on here assume that getting players is just a simple matter of us deciding to sign some more players and focus less on the juniors. And yet we went out for Thurston with one of the most famous, influential and persuasive men in rugby league doing the negotiations and we come up short. The same happened with Carney. You must ask the question why? Our money is as good as anybody else's, but we don't have the success, the glamour, the location or TPA's to get the best players to want to come here. I accept that we can get good players like Merrin and Tamou, but not superstars.

I loved the 2003 team but it was one Swallow and that doesn't make a summer. Subsequent to that we were barely competitive for ten years, picking up a wooden spoon and making the semi's twice. Prior to that and post our 91 premiership, we were uncompetitive for the best part of 11 years reaching the dizzy heights of fifth on two occasions. We were below average. When you consider the resources at our disposal it was criminal mismanagement of the club.

Now we have success at every grade, make the semis for 4 out of 5 years and the club is built mainly from juniors developed within. We think we should abandon that and do something different because we haven't won a premiership yet.......

Give me strength. How soon we forget the years of mediocrity and failure at this club. I would rather we keep doing what we are doing, instead of 2 premierships every 40 years, spaced between failure, irrelevance and wooden spoons.

Using our old strategy of waiting until all the moons align and we throw a double six, the next premiership should be about 2023.....

franklin2323

Immortal
That has nothing to do with it. If it did, he would have tried that at the Roosters but he built a dynasty there with a different approach. Albeit, he did improve their junior programme.

At the Panthers he studied the Broncos and looked at their strategy for success. He saw that their aim was to have 80% juniors and he believed that since they are the most successful club in the NRL, it was a strategy worth emulating.

I believe 80% is an aspirational goal, but will be flexed as and when required. The main thing is it gets the club focused on its junior development pathways. It makes it clear we are a development club. This has to be our primary source of players. Why?

Well, since we have one of the largest junior bases, which is a source of competitive advantage, it would be strange not to use the resource. Secondly, we are not a glamour club. Our location is not attractive to 90% of players, we don't have a long and storied history and we can't offer lots of TPA's to sweeten the pot.

All of the strategies espoused on here assume that getting players is just a simple matter of us deciding to sign some more players and focus less on the juniors. And yet we went out for Thurston with one of the most famous, influential and persuasive men in rugby league doing the negotiations and we come up short. The same happened with Carney. You must ask the question why? Our money is as good as anybody else's, but we don't have the success, the glamour, the location or TPA's to get the best players to want to come here. I accept that we can get good players like Merrin and Tamou, but not superstars.

I loved the 2003 team but it was one Swallow and that doesn't make a summer. Subsequent to that we were barely competitive for ten years, picking up a wooden spoon and making the semi's twice. Prior to that and post our 91 premiership, we were uncompetitive for the best part of 11 years reaching the dizzy heights of fifth on two occasions. We were below average. When you consider the resources at our disposal it was criminal mismanagement of the club.

Now we have success at every grade, make the semis for 4 out of 5 years and the club is built mainly from juniors developed within. We think we should abandon that and do something different because we haven't won a premiership yet.......

Give me strength. How soon we forget the years of mediocrity and failure at this club. I would rather we keep doing what we are doing, instead of 2 premierships every 40 years, spaced between failure, irrelevance and wooden spoons.

Using our old strategy of waiting until all the moons align and we throw a double six, the next premiership should be about 2023.....

Compare our team now and 2016.. We have different team so have different needs.

The youth in the team means we don't have to rely on the kids. That is not to say we stop junior development but we don't need to push their promotion to the top squad.. If that means we lose a few then so be it

Karnivayne

Juniors
Are these teams generally what we are expecting rnd 1 (not taking into account trial form, injuries or departures)

NRL

1. Edwards
2. DWZ
3. Whare
4. Blake
5. Mansour
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. RCG
9. Katoa
10. Tamou
11. Yeo