What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Diesel

Referee
What 20 year old marketing guru came up with the Knights logo and how many millions did they get.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
OK! After a bit of quick research I stand corrected. The Sanyo deal was the longest when Sanyo were taken over by Panasonic. Vodafone is now the longest running sponsorship. This century (2000 - )
Penrith - Sanyo and Oak
StGI - Integral and St George Bank
NZ Warriors - Vodafone

But NQ Cowboys had 3 - Overflow Discount Stores, CHR, Toyota Dealers.

So we can leave it there! Good discussion and fun research.
My reading of a century is 1901-2000, 2001-2100 etc, so Overflow was not included in the statistic re: minimal sponsors this century.

As for Sanyo being the longest running sponsorship - Vodafone with the Warriors pre-dated it by a full year, so that's wrong as well.

GAZF

First Grade
Looking at the new Knights logo a few times now, it doesn't look so bad facing the right. There are actually more club logos facing to the left, so mixing it up a bit is ok.

The new gripe is that the helmet has geometric centering relative to the wordmark, where optical centering (centering the helmet, minus the plume) would give it better balance. Small difference, I know.

Untitled.png

beave

Coach
Looking at the new Knights logo a few times now, it doesn't look so bad facing the right. There are actually more club logos facing to the left, so mixing it up a bit is ok.

The new gripe is that the helmet has geometric centering relative to the wordmark, where optical centering (centering the helmet, minus the plume) would give it better balance. Small difference, I know.

View attachment 33160

optical centering looks much better.

The Marshall

Juniors
Hate the wordmark on the new Knights logo. The old one was something unique and fitted in perfectly but I guess it would have been hard to make it work with the Knight flipped.

Timmah

Staff member
I don't know if it's just the treatment the Knights gave that graphic, but it's a much deeper, more mauve-y blue as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dont really understand the need to have the date the club was formed? Its not like it was in the 1800's so looks impressive from a length of duration point of view.

sempmrh

Juniors

View attachment 33160
Something so simple as bumping it over a few pixels makes a big difference. When I first saw it I knew there was something slightly off but couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

Timmah

Staff member
Dont really understand the need to have the date the club was formed? Its not like it was in the 1800's so looks impressive from a length of duration point of view.
It's more common in AFL I think. Only other RL examples I can think of are Hull & Wakefield in the UK, and the Eels & Rabbitohs here.

yakstorm

First Grade
I can live with the flipped head, as it is very heavily influenced by the previous designs, but the wordmark simply doesn't feel right. Maybe it will grow on me, but similar to what The Marshall wrote, the old design had a level of uniqueness to it... the new design feels like a Google Web Font...

Anyway, shouldn't complain too much, it is still a solid logo and isn't a dramatic shift from what they had.

We've seen a lot worse 'refreshes' from clubs...

GAZF

First Grade
Something so simple as bumping it over a few pixels makes a big difference. When I first saw it I knew there was something slightly off but couldn’t quite put my finger on it.
If I had to guess, they went with geometric centering to avoid lazy designers just using the align tool in applications. A transparent bounding box that aligns the wordmark to the geometric centre of the whole selection is how I'd normally go about avoiding this issue.

sempmrh

Juniors
If I had to guess, they went with geometric centering to avoid lazy designers just using the align tool in applications. A transparent bounding box that aligns the wordmark to the geometric centre of the whole selection is how I'd normally go about avoiding this issue.
The new Storm logo has a problem with centering - it’s the lightning bolt that does it. Even on official apparel from ISC it seems to vary from item to item.

Then again, the new Storm logo has a lot of little problems. It probably should have gone through at least one more revision before being finalised.

GAZF

First Grade
The new Storm logo has a problem with centering - it’s the lightning bolt that does it. Even on official apparel from ISC it seems to vary from item to item.

Then again, the new Storm logo has a lot of little problems. It probably should have gone through at least one more revision before being finalised.
The Storm logo is optically centered relative to the wordmark but I could see the whole logo being incorrectly centered in applications (like below, where the whole logo needs to move left).

keyframedownloadcontroller

Perth Red

Post Whore
What do people think make the best club logos? I like the simple ones that become iconic and dont need any words to know who they are, ones like Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay, Souths, Chicago Bulls, Yankees etc

For me our Pirates logo is too busy (you can tell it was done by same guy who did Titans!) and if we ever get in I'd like to see a simpler iconic version created.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Essendon and Kia split at the end of 2018 with the word being that amart was offering more than what they wanted to pay. Kia did pick up a minor (shorts and aflw) sponsorship of gws this season.

I bet Kia stay with gws

Same as Hyundai did with dogs .. do 2 seasons to keep some nsw car dealers happy then ditch em and stay with Carlton for 20 years..

Who are dogs getting on front of jersey

MJ chickens and wicked sista cakes battling it out are they ..