What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 NRL draw re-release

skeepe

Immortal
How is a lack of free to air games preventing Canberra making the Grand Final?

I was referring more to the whole Campbelltown thing. It’s 3 f**king hours up the road, not exactly close to home.

I mean, we have to travel further for our “home” games than the teams we’re playing against.

big hit!

Bench
the raiders would have also picked up a lot of neutrals from their finals run last year and play one of the more expansive attacking styles. Think 9 are missing out by not showing them more.

By neutrals, you mean a viewer who wasn’t even that much into the sport to dedicate their time to a team.

FTA broadcasters paying big money for sport will bank on teams with a locked-in large support base to bump up their ad rate card. Not a fly by night who may have picked up a few ‘neutrals’.

big hit!

Bench
I was referring more to the whole Campbelltown thing. It’s 3 f**king hours up the road, not exactly close to home.

I mean, we have to travel further for our “home” games than the teams we’re playing against.

Stick it out for a few years. Campbelltown is a growth area.

lockyno1

Post Whore

On the flip side they have compensated you with the easiest draw. It's not perfect but 2020 is never going to be perfect. You aren't the only club disadvantaged.

Greenfields

Juniors
On the flip side they have compensated you with the easiest draw. It's not perfect but 2020 is never going to be perfect. You aren't the only club disadvantaged.
It’s a good draw, not the easiest though. Some teams don’t even have to play a top 4 side twice.

Generalzod

Immortal
Is this is how it’s going to be all of this season a bullshit comp made for television no crowds teams are not playing at their rightful home and some people are ok with is because they want to watch some league played on tv give me a break.

Valheru

Coach

Do you ever stop whinging?

At this stage we are talking about 4 raiders home games at Campbelltown. Two of those four opponents are Newcastle and Melbourne who have to travel further This situation will probably change drastically by July 11 when the following home game is scheduled and you will likely play the renaming 5 home games in Canberra.

Not to mention you played round 1 at home in front of crowds, one of 8 teams to be able to do so and then round 2 against the warriors in GC when it was originally a Trans Tasman trip.

Add to that the golden trio twice and you have absolutely been kissed on the dick with the draw.

Valheru

Coach
Not really. Playing weak teams doesn't do much for form other than boosting f/a. I'd be happier playing hard teams and having our home games at GIO instead of having to travel to Campbelltown.

There is definitely something to be said for testing yourself against the better teams but the draw is what it is and you guys have been blessed with drawing those 3 twice. It could literally be the difference between top 2 and top 4 given the shortened season.

I'm not blaming Canberra for this, they didn't make the draw but I suggest your team takes advantage because they will never get a better chance than this to finish top 2.

big hit!

Bench
Of course Channel 9 don't care about the Raiders. Not a metro TV market for their ratings and they don't even own the Southern Cross Nine channel down there.

And what do ratings contribute too?

Folks here are happy for Channel 9 or any other FTA broadcaster to pay hundreds of millions for a broadcast deal, but expect it to be a charity donation. The FTA broadcaster is a business and they've purchased rights in order to improve their own company value. Company value increases with revenue. A broadcaster generates revenue by selling ad slots. The more eyes on a program, the higher the broadcaster can charge for an ad slot during the program. Hence why Brisbane, 1 team in a 2.5m direct market will always trump Canberra, 1 team in a 500,000 indirect market.

I suppose because we never have to reach into our own pocket for FTA television, most forget that they are in the business of revenue generation and misunderstand how that revenue is generated.

It's no different in other leagues. The NFC East in the NFL is considered the primetime market. More often than not, you'll get Dallas Cowboys v New York Giants v Philly Eagles v Washington Redskins as the national game because the markets they serve are huge and they have larger audiences. A club will need something big to get national exposure - Tampa Bay will end up getting it this season with both Brady and Gronk. Unfortunately for Canberra and their team (it's a great team but no much star pulling power), they'll have greater interest in England outside of Canberra/Eden Monaro.

The NRL have even managed to squeeze out more juice from the Nine in recent deals, but that's at a cost. Nine gets more TV-friendly slots, more control of the teams they broadcast which means their appetite for smaller market/supported clubs is less, and they have a license to f**k around with kick-off times (hello 8:17pm SOO kick-off when it's advertised for 8:05pm).

Canberra fans feel dudded, but have to realise that it's business not personal.

Last edited:

Coastbloke

Bench
A hooker will charge you $300 for straight-up sex and blowie. You can get missionary and doggie as standard. But if you want to f**k her up the arse or piss in her mouth, she'll be asking for a premium. By paying more, you get more control in the transaction. No different to the NRL/Broadcaster arrangement right now.

Receipts? :rolling_eyes:

Valheru

Coach
And what do ratings contribute too?

Folks here are happy for Channel 9 or any other FTA broadcaster to pay hundreds of millions for a broadcast deal, but expect it to be a charity donation. The FTA broadcaster is a business and they've purchased rights in order to improve their own company value. Company value increases with revenue. A broadcaster generates revenue by selling ad slots. The more eyes on a program, the higher the broadcaster can charge for an ad slot during the program. Hence why Brisbane, 1 team in a 2.5m direct market will always trump Canberra, 1 team in a 500,000 indirect market.

I suppose because we never have to reach into our own pocket for FTA television, most forget that they are in the business of revenue generation and misunderstand how that revenue is generated.

It's no different in other leagues. The NFC East in the NFL is considered the primetime market. More often than not, you'll get Dallas Cowboys v New York Giants v Philly Eagles v Washington Redskins as the national game because the markets they serve are huge and they have larger audiences. A club will need something big to get national exposure - Tampa Bay will end up getting it this season with both Brady and Gronk. Unfortunately for Canberra and their team (it's a great team but no much star pulling power), they'll have greater interest in England outside of Canberra/Eden Monaro.

The NRL have even managed to squeeze out more juice from the Nine in recent deals, but that's at a cost. Nine gets more TV-friendly slots, more control of the teams they broadcast which means their appetite for smaller market/supported clubs is less, and they have a license to f**k around with kick-off times (hello 8:17pm SOO kick-off when it's advertised for 8:05pm).

Canberra fans feel dudded, but have to realise that it's business not personal.

No other sport bends to broadcasters like the NRL because they aren't willing to leave money on the table to control the schedule themselves.

AFL do and they choose who goes on FTA.

The NFL also controls who goes on prime time and who doesn't to the point that any one team can only be featured on a prime time standalone game e.g. Thursday night, Sunday night or Monday night a maximum of 5 times in a season.

Greenfields

Juniors
Even from a business perspective I find it odd that they'd go with Panthers v Knights on the Sunday over Storm v Raiders. Do Newcastle and Penrith control such a big market that a bottom 8 (from last year) clash trumps two Top 4 teams that played out two epic games last year?

I get that 9, despite what they say, is all about the ratings but surely a game between two Top 4 teams would attract a big audience. Up to them, but it seems they have little regard for the product.

Hell, the NRL had to force 9 to broadcast the GF replay between the Roosters and Raiders. 9 wanted to pass on it.

big hit!

Bench
No other sport bends to broadcasters like the NRL because they aren't willing to leave money on the table to control the schedule themselves.

AFL do and they choose who goes on FTA.

The NFL also controls who goes on prime time and who doesn't to the point that any one team can only be featured on a prime time standalone game e.g. Thursday night, Sunday night or Monday night a maximum of 5 times in a season.

Thats what I said. The extra funds the NRL receives so we can fap over how much the game gets in comparison to the rival league, comes at a huge cost.

Control. and now with coronavirus, the NRL have practically ceded all of it. Should Channel 9 be blamed for attempting to maximise their revenue?

The AFL and NFL will have broadcasters input but nowhere near the extent of Nine and Fox in rugby league. The AFL does well to ensure that every team's (ex Victorian) game are shown FTA in their market. We always get Swans and Giants games on 7mate here, even if it's produced by Fox.

Re Melbourne though, Channel 7 want to show Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, etc into Melbourne metro, more than North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, and they do.

In NFL, they have strict rules as to the maximum number of games a club can feature in prime time. But some don't even get there.

And like I said, It's not unusual for a FOX or CBS second-double header featured games to involve those NFC east teams I mentioned in the previous post and other heavily supported teams such as Green Bay, Pittsburgh, & Patriots even though these teams are eastern/central timezone teams. This 4:30pm eastern slot largely caters to pacific/mountain timezone teams home games. The second double header featured games combined generally rate higher than the Sunday night prime time game. It's not because Miami, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cleveland are in these games, because they're not. You won't find them too often in a slot with a largely national presence. Straight to 1pm eastern they go.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Even from a business perspective I find it odd that they'd go with Panthers v Knights on the Sunday over Storm v Raiders. Do Newcastle and Penrith control such a big market that a bottom 8 (from last year) clash trumps two Top 4 teams that played out two epic games last year?

I get that 9, despite what they say, is all about the ratings but surely a game between two Top 4 teams would attract a big audience. Up to them, but it seems they have little regard for the product.

Hell, the NRL had to force 9 to broadcast the GF replay between the Roosters and Raiders. 9 wanted to pass on it.

I’m not sure of the current arrangements however it used to be 9 choose the first 2 games so as a guess:

Eels v Broncos
Easts v Souths

Fox then pick 2:

Storm v Raiders
Eagles v Dogs

9 pick 1:

Panthers v Knights

Then Fox get the last 3:

Sharks V Tigers
Dragons V Warriors
Titans V Cowboys

Greenfields

Juniors
I’m not sure of the current arrangements however it used to be 9 choose the first 2 games so as a guess:

Eels v Broncos
Easts v Souths

Fox then pick 2:

Storm v Raiders
Eagles v Dogs

9 pick 1:

Panthers v Knights

Then Fox get the last 3:

Sharks V Tigers
Dragons V Warriors
Titans V Cowboys
Makes a bit more sense if that's the case.

big hit!

Bench

Channel 9 or any other broadcaster, aren't concerned about the quality of product. Would you consider reality shows quality programming? They're concerned with how many folks will watch the show.

Melbourne vs Canberra might be mouth-watering for a rugby league fan. But most folks are a fan of their club, not the game.

Games featuring any combo of Broncos, souths, easts, and parra are going to attract more eyeballs to nine than storm/raiders.

Greenfields

Juniors
Channel 9 or any other broadcaster, aren't concerned about the quality of product.
I know Channel 9 don't care about the product, they've proven that with their broadcast for years. I'd expect the NRL to care about it though, even if it means a reduced deal. The NRL should want the general public to see the highest quality games possible to attract new fans.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I know Channel 9 don't care about the product, they've proven that with their broadcast for years. I'd expect the NRL to care about it though, even if it means a reduced deal. The NRL should want the general public to see the highest quality games possible to attract new fans.
The NRL want to broadcast the matches that will attract the greatest revenue from advertising - it's how they make cash from matches.

The simple fact is that Canberra's viewing base isn't large enough to warrant their regular appearance.

Personally - I want to watch the Raiders, they're an entertaining team. But they won't sell ad space like the Broncos or Eels will. Sucks, but it's reality

Latest posts