What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I don't see Wests or Manly pricing Souths out of the negotiations. Neither side will sign him to start and have problems elsewhere that are a higher priority.
All three of those players are in a sweet spot for Souths at the moment where they've shown enough for the club to confidently re-sign them but haven't excelled at a level that would attract strong interest from other clubs.
They'll most likely be renewed at the end of the season i believe with 1 or 2 year extensions.

Assuming the AJ news is true and Marsters stays, i would be very happy to see this weeks backline + Latrell at FB to start round 1 next season. Unlikely if Roberts is still around but i honestly view him as the 4th best centre at the club.
I don't see Wests or Manly pricing Souths out of the negotiations. Neither side will sign him to start and have problems elsewhere that are a higher priority.
All three of those players are in a sweet spot for Souths at the moment where they've shown enough for the club to confidently re-sign them but haven't excelled at a level that would attract strong interest from other clubs.
They'll most likely be renewed at the end of the season i believe with 1 or 2 year extensions.

Assuming the AJ news is true and Marsters stays, i would be very happy to see this weeks backline + Latrell at FB to start round 1 next season. Unlikely if Roberts is still around but i honestly view him as the 4th best centre at the club.
Yeah agreed Trav, good assessment, hope it comes to fruition.

Re: James Roberts, it's been disappointing. Again, this was another panic signing because Burns got injured like always, and we had Ethan Lowe playing at centre and we were getting burned out wide, so they got Jimmy because Seibold benched him after a terrible defensive effort, against us actually. We wanted to be a contender, and no way we could be with Lowe at centre, so they got Jimmy. That's how I remember it.

I hope it turns around because speed kills, and he certainly can torch guys but it hasn't been a value signing so far.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
On nrl 360 they are linking tamou,hethrington and the fox to the tigers, im not sure how they can afford all of them considering joshR and packer are on a reported 800 each.
I for one wish we could get hethrington, who is an absolute mongrel and would give our pack real authority.
If lowe could be medically retired, what a replacement!
Yeah well if that's the case, that's good, one less contender for Sironen. Plus the Tigers are still not gonna be a good team Lol

Go Bunnies

Juniors
AJ re-signing means JAC will return to Wests imo. It may actually result in a little bit of cap space being freed up for other re-signings.
I'm confident that if the club wants to keep all three of Amone, Sironen and Marsters, they'll be able to find a way. I don't believe any of them are in line for a big raise. All three will most likely re-sign on a short term bridge deal.
Not necessarily re JAC. He still has 1 year to go on his contract. I can’t see Melbourne releasing him as Vunivalu is off this year to Union. AJ was a replacement for 1 wing. I can’t see Melbourne letting both wingers go with nothing in return.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
On nrl 360 they are linking tamou,hethrington and the fox to the tigers, im not sure how they can afford all of them considering joshR and packer are on a reported 800 each.
I for one wish we could get hethrington, who is an absolute mongrel and would give our pack real authority.
If lowe could be medically retired, what a replacement!
Hes a beast
Was he the bloke that rattled the cage of JWH??

callmack1

Staff member
I think our focus now should be retaining Sironen and Marsters, really don't want to lose them, Sirro in particular. Would love to keep Amone too as he's a star of the future but maybe that won't work out.

In regards to Jimmy the Jet, I don't think we should be scrambling to get rid of him. I'd look at moving Burns on first. We have to focus on getting the best out of Roberts. It was looking great for this year but Corona robbed him of an opportunity.

In other news, I hope this is all just talk,

‘The campaign has begun’ - Paul Kent convinced Wayne Bennett is bound for Broncos return: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/c73f6093cb461f51ce7fb8c9ef1636f8

handyman2190

Bench
I think our focus now should be retaining Sironen and Marsters, really don't want to lose them, Sirro in particular. Would love to keep Amone too as he's a star of the future but maybe that won't work out.

In regards to Jimmy the Jet, I don't think we should be scrambling to get rid of him. I'd look at moving Burns on first. We have to focus on getting the best out of Roberts. It was looking great for this year but Corona robbed him of an opportunity.

In other news, I hope this is all just talk,

‘The campaign has begun’ - Paul Kent convinced Wayne Bennett is bound for Broncos return: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/c73f6093cb461f51ce7fb8c9ef1636f8
Mate, let him go, his track record for this type of thing isnt good, i was hoping he would stay and take a director coaching and recruitment type position with us, i really think there are a few blocks have to align before it will happen anyway,if Ikin gets the chief execs job forget it.

CAFPOW

Juniors
FOX SPORTS:
  • September 10, 2020 1:56pm
  • JAMES HOOPER
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Exclusive: Bunny boilover — how Wayne Bennett could run Souths from Brisbane

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have offered supercoach Wayne Bennett a consultancy and ambassador role to remain at the Bunnies for 2022 and beyond.
The position would allow Bennett to return to Brisbane to live for family reasons but mean the seven-time premiership-winner remains heavily involved with South Sydney.

Despite moves being afoot for a possible return to the Broncos in a coaching director capacity, the Bunnies intend to roll out the red carpet to try and ensure Bennett retains a role at the Rabbitohs for as long as the supercoach sees fit.

The Bunnies want Bennett to mentor players, coaches, officials and staff and maintain a major presence inside the club’s inner sanctum and dressing rooms.

The Bunnies still firmly believe Bennett, 71 in January, will remain at Redfern as the club’s head coach next season.

South Sydney have assembled one of the NRL’s best coaching teams with Bennett surrounded by quality assistants in Sam Burgess, Ben Hornby, John Sutton and head-coach-in-waiting Jason Demetriou

handyman2190

Bench
FOX SPORTS:
  • September 10, 2020 1:56pm
  • JAMES HOOPER
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Exclusive: Bunny boilover — how Wayne Bennett could run Souths from Brisbane

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have offered supercoach Wayne Bennett a consultancy and ambassador role to remain at the Bunnies for 2022 and beyond.
The position would allow Bennett to return to Brisbane to live for family reasons but mean the seven-time premiership-winner remains heavily involved with South Sydney.

Despite moves being afoot for a possible return to the Broncos in a coaching director capacity, the Bunnies intend to roll out the red carpet to try and ensure Bennett retains a role at the Rabbitohs for as long as the supercoach sees fit.

The Bunnies want Bennett to mentor players, coaches, officials and staff and maintain a major presence inside the club’s inner sanctum and dressing rooms.

The Bunnies still firmly believe Bennett, 71 in January, will remain at Redfern as the club’s head coach next season.

South Sydney have assembled one of the NRL’s best coaching teams with Bennett surrounded by quality assistants in Sam Burgess, Ben Hornby, John Sutton and head-coach-in-waiting Jason Demetriou
Well its what i suggested a few pages ago, but money talks, and bennett i feel would rejoice in rubbing morrises and the boards face in it

callmack1

Staff member
Bunny boilover — how Wayne Bennett could run Souths from Brisbane: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/ca1d0df7ac9d56c01e1780eaaaf87a19

Rabbitohs make Wayne Bennett offer to counter Broncos threat: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...-broncos/e31f1d57-ca81-4d14-9862-353937f6a67e

How friggin good would this be?!! I'd absolutely love Wayne to stay on with the club in a mentor/consultant role, that would be the ideal situation as still having him around the club would honestly but huge! Unsure if it'd happen though as it sounds like Wayne wants to continue head coaching. Here's hoping!!

Phil Gould admits a Brisbane Broncos-Wayne Bennett reunion would not be 'impossible', but with one catch: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/wayne-...il-gould/1c2d0433-f59b-40ca-bd8a-13832830d4c5

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I doubt the Broncos have had any real talks with Bennett. I believe it is the News Ltd executives (News is a majority owner of the Broncos), seeing they've lost a ton of revenue because the Broncos have been garbage (they don't even have a free-to-air TV game this week), have said "let's fix this, get Bennett back", and told their employee reporters to go out there and write bullshit stories and push the rock down the hill so that it happens, hoping it breeds paranoia, Souths get the sh!+s and shirtfront Bennett, and they let him go.

Souths have called the bluff and offered Bennett the job he wanted at the Broncos when they sacked him.

I reckon it would be a good fit, with Demetriou, the players, the coaching staff. And we get to stick it up News Ltd again!

The only question is how good and how much draw power does Bennett have at recruitment, and getting young guys who aren't even 21 yet?

callmack1

Staff member
Like a broken record - Johnston trying for all-time Bunnies benchmark: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/11...hnston-trying-for-all-time-bunnies-benchmark/

From Sporting News,

Wayne Bennett denies receiving offer from South Sydney for consultancy role

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has denied receiving an offer from the club to remain on in a consultancy role in 2022.

Bennett is contracted to the Rabbitohs for next season but has in recent days been linked for a return to Brisbane for a third stint at the club.

Reports on Thursday suggested Souths had offered the seven-time premiership winner a role at the club beyond his current deal.

The position would reportedly see Bennett base himself in Brisbanen- where his family are - though he would act as an advisor to Jason Demetriou, who is due to take over at the end of next season.

Though, speaking to Fox ahead of South Sydney's Thursday night game against the Tigers, Bennett denied any knowledge of an offer from the club.

"Nobody from the Bunnies has spoken to me today, so I don't know where that's come from," Bennett said.

You don't need to be around rugby league for too long to know that no one plays the media better than the master coach, so don't rule anything out just yet.

Amid the talk of a return to Red Hill, one of Bennett's favourite pupils, Darius Boyd, has unsurprisingly thrown his support behind a homecoming.

Boyd followed Bennett to St George Illawarra, Newcastle and then back to Brisbane, winning two premierships along the way.

Having already announced his retirement at the end of the season, the 33-year-old won't be a player next year but thinks the club should consider reappointing the man who left the club in ugly circumstances at the end of 2018.

"Of course, that's a no-brainer from my perspective," Boyd told Fox League.

"The club's got to keep every option on the table, you'd be silly to take any off and Wayne's record and who he is speaks for itself, but I'm sure a lot of things need to be ticked off and approved before that would happen."

Brisbane currently sit 15th on the ladder, having won just three games in the worst season in the powerhouse club's history.

Boyd said the recruitment some experienced heads will help the team on and off the field.

"I think the club definitely needs four or five experienced players to be signed," he added.

"They'd probably have to be guys that aren't on big money but guys that have played 150, 200 games, maybe won a premiership, maybe played State of Origin, those types of guys, coming to back ends of the careers, 28 years of age plus.

"If the club can get four or five of those guys, not so much to take the positions of some of these young guys that we have, but more importantly to help them through their journey.

"Also in the locker room and the culture of the club, I think that could be really beneficial."

handyman2190

Bench
Weve got paulo stuttering ,dropping balls and kicking at every opportunity, and after so many games scoring 1 try. Then youve got cody ramsay debuting for the dragons scoring 2 before half time, good luck to the young fella, but it highlights our inadequacy on that wing, the lack of talent. Sorry boys shows there are reserve graders we should be targetting both backs and forwards, this jed cartwright didnt impress me.

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

NRL pay dispute erupts

The Rugby League Players Association is trying to strike a pay deal with the NRL that is similar to the one they knocked back a month ago.

The two parties are trying to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement for the past three months, yet no agreement has been reached.

The most lucrative deal offered would have left the playing group in a financial position $10 million better off than the offer now on the table.

However, the RLPA requested more time and information to make a decision. Given some other entitlements – such as the injury hardship and retirement funds – would be affected, they were pushing for a drop of just 2.5 per cent.

The new deal is believed to involve a salary cap decrease of 10 per cent, which leaves the playing group $10 million worse off.

The negotiations come at a time when the NRL announced the need to slash $50 million in costs to stay financially stable in the COVID crisis.

From Sporting News,

Alex Johnston reveals disappointment at not initially being offered a contract by the South Sydney Rabbitohs

South Sydney Rabbitohs flyer Alex Johnston has revealed his disappointment at not initially being offered a new contract by the club earlier this year.

Last week, the Rabbitohs backflipped and announced they had re-signed Johnston on a two-year deal until the end of 2022.

Earlier in the season, Johnston all but confirmed that it appeared he would be moved on from the Rabbitohs at the end of this season.

While Johnston is obviously ecstatic to be staying at Redfern, he admits that initially he was quite disappointed at being told there was no room for him at the club where he started as a local junior.

Speaking on Channel Nine's Sunday Footy Show, Johnston spoke about his new contract and his dealings with the Rabbitohs to date.

"I've got to be honest, I was pretty upset at the time when they first told me they weren't going to re-sign me," Johnston said.

"I was pretty gutted but I sort of used that as motivation to go out there and prove what I can do and play some good footy.

"I think in the end, it helped me and it helped them make a decision that 'you know what, we've got to keep this bloke'.

"I'm stoked that it finally turned around for me."

There were passionate pleas from many for the Rabbitohs to hold onto Johnston, including teammate Cody Walker.

Plenty of speculation around Johnston was that he would replace Josh Addo-Carr at the Melbourne Storm if the NSW-flyer got his way for a return to Sydney.

The Souths winger admitted that he was 'close' to joining the Storm but the Rabbitohs' 11th-hour bid was too good to refuse.

"It all happened pretty quickly," Johnston said of the South Sydney offer.

"I was close to going down to Melbourne there and I probably had a couple of days before having to make a decision and Souths came to the table and said 'we're going to make you an offer'.

"It happened pretty quickly but once the offer was on the table, I pretty much put pen to paper."

While Johnston admitted the current lockdown in Melbourne played into his decision to turn down the Storm, there were 'other factors' there as well.

Since re-signing with the Rabbitohs, he put in a strong performance against the Wests Tigers last Thursday.

That included setting up centre Campbell Graham for this well-worked try.

But much of the attention was on his bombed try in the second half that could have sealed the match for the Bunnies.

"I knew you were going to bring it up," Johnston laughed.

"I think if I catch that and score, Tigers go on to win the game.

"It was intentional...nah."

The South Sydney Rabbitohs host the Bulldogs next Thursday as they look to climb a few more places in the top eight ahead of the finals.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
2020 State of Origin venues, dates confirmed: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...d/news-story/17d6d1489e236d6fd0ea374028ae7aab

In other news, there's rumours floating around that Suaalii wants a five year deal and that he's knocked back our previous offer. I must say, this whole situation is starting to get a little concerning. It's dragging on and on which really isn't a great sign. This is dragging on long enough that it'll start to impact or potential for signing others like Sironen and Amone. There has to come a time where the club draws a line in the sand. As much as he is a superstar of the future and we don't want to lose him, we need a decision soon. The ckub has done a great job by giving him privacy and space but that can only go on for so long.

handyman2190

Bench
2020 State of Origin venues, dates confirmed: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...d/news-story/17d6d1489e236d6fd0ea374028ae7aab

In other news, there's rumours floating around that Suaalii wants a five year deal and that he's knocked back our previous offer. I must say, this whole situation is starting to get a little concerning. It's dragging on and on which really isn't a great sign. This is dragging on long enough that it'll start to impact or potential for signing others like Sironen and Amone. There has to come a time where the club draws a line in the sand. As much as he is a superstar of the future and we don't want to lose him, we need a decision soon. The ckub has done a great job by giving him privacy and space but that can only go on for so long.
So what happens if he fails?
So far all ive seen is greed, who gets 5 year deals,even the great GI was 4 years, ok tedesko the best player, is signing for 5 years but he is a known quantity.
How many times have we seen great juniors bomb out.
I get the feeling this is being orchestrated by either The RU or even another nrl club trying to guzzump us

NovoBunny94

Juniors
So what happens if he fails?
So far all ive seen is greed, who gets 5 year deals,even the great GI was 4 years, ok tedesko the best player, is signing for 5 years but he is a known quantity.
How many times have we seen great juniors bomb out.
I get the feeling this is being orchestrated by either The RU or even another nrl club trying to guzzump us

His 'demands' in his contract are pretty poor for us. He wants to play union as well

handyman2190

Bench
Ive just read the latest news on suaali on fox news.
He wants to be able to renegotiate at will, and put himself on the open market at will, this from an untested rookie.
Personally, id let him go, he will continually have our necks on the block and our cap in the gutter.
This has become a joke and i hope we stand firm, he may eventually be worth the mill a year, but until he proves it he isnt.
This situation i think is because of the hype, and ARU in his ear.

taste2taste

Juniors
Sounds like this kid wants his cake and eat it too. A long contract in case he's a bust but get out clauses if he turns out to be a star.