What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member
Peter Sterling says lengthy bunker reviews are 'deflating' the viewing experience of Rugby League: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...-deflate/f6b1273f-6a74-48ea-bec6-b90d0e927069

From Sporting News,

V’landys and QRL in standoff over expansion

Queensland rugby strongmen are urging the Australian Rugby League Commission to reconsider their plans to create an entirely new franchise in Brisbane.

This follows ARL chairman Peter V’landys telling News Corp that he wishes to start a new team in Queensland despite the dire economic conditions brought on by pandemic.

Instead of this, QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher is asking V’landys to minimise costs and to instead re-locate a Sydney side who already have cash in the bank.

“I am an advocate of moving at least one of the Sydney teams. Financially the obvious ones are Cronulla and Manly and finances are the first thing you look at” Hatcher explained to News Corp.

“You start anything from scratch and there is a hell of a lot of expense in trying to get it up. You are a mile in front if you already have a team.

“That gives you a bigger opportunity because it straddles two decent markets and you are using the available talent to maintain a strong competition.”

Meanwhile, Peter V’landys has his heart set on creating a brand new franchise from a bidding Queensland club either by 2022 or 2023.

Both Redcliffe and East Tigers have registered their interest, with the latter’s effort progressing well.

Despite the COVID pandemic crippling the NRL, V’landys is convinced that the money could be put together to make the expansion happen.

“We have to concentrate on getting the competition finished this year but I am committed to having a second team in Brisbane” V’landys said to News Corp.

“We have plenty of time to achieve this and to formulate business plans. There are bid teams out there working hard on their submissions so no time is being lost through this COVID period.”

The ARL chairman is also adamant that it will not negatively impact the other Queensland sides, who are not performing to standard this season.

“I will not expand the game if another team will cannibalise the existing Queensland sides, but I am confident that will not happen.”

“We have our Queensland partners up there so the last thing we want to do is hurt the Broncos and the Titans.”

Nevertheless, many are fearful that the expansion of the AFL into Queensland will hurt the NRL even more, as the Grand Final due to be hosted in Brisbane in October will lure league fans away.

However, Titans head of culture Mal Meninga is sure that the AFL’s crusade into the Sunshine state isn’t anything to lose sleep over.

“AFL can only concentrate on AFL and we can only control what we can control. We’re doing a terrific job from a rugby league point of view.”

“We can only keep doing what we’re doing. We’ve got to be mindful of it (the AFL‘s incursion into Queensland) but we’re not overly concerned.”

Rabbits20

Immortal
Thats bloody fantastic news!!!!
I am real happy!!

Now...the question is how did they find the cap space?
Was it always there?
Is someone else getting moved to another club?
Is Lowe gonna be medically retired?

I hope we are not losing Bayley Sironen
I think we will keep Bayley.

Marsters and Amone are probs the ones that are a greater risk of leaving.

Can’t keep them all unfortunately.

Arrow will take up 700-800k of our cap next year on as well.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Thats bloody fantastic news!!!!
I am real happy!!

Now...the question is how did they find the cap space?
Was it always there?
Is someone else getting moved to another club?
Is Lowe gonna be medically retired?

I hope we are not losing Bayley Sironen

Why would Lowe be medically retired?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I think we will keep Bayley.

Marsters and Amone are probs the ones that are a greater risk of leaving.

Can’t keep them all unfortunately.

Arrow will take up 700-800k of our cap next year on as well.
Yeah probably, Marsters might get a good offer that we cant match. Plus we got a backlog at centre (Marsters, Campbell, Jimmy the Jet, Gagai, Burns) Amone maybe let go to make room for AJ (and Siro?)

Too bad it cant be Burns, he still under contract next year. So is Gagai (@$700k)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah probably, Marsters might get a good offer that we cant match. Plus we got a backlog at centre (Marsters, Campbell, Jimmy the Jet, Gagai, Burns) Amone maybe let go to make room for AJ (and Siro?)

Too bad it cant be Burns, he still under contract next year. So is Gagai (@$700k)
Yep gonna be hard to find any takers for Gagai, Jet, Burns or Allan.

Rumour is Gagai is more in 650k but still no one will take him.

We need to keep Siro that’s for sure he’s so versatile like an Aubusson. Siro also is a good ball player.

Travitoh

First Grade
AJ re-signing means JAC will return to Wests imo. It may actually result in a little bit of cap space being freed up for other re-signings.
I'm confident that if the club wants to keep all three of Amone, Sironen and Marsters, they'll be able to find a way. I don't believe any of them are in line for a big raise. All three will most likely re-sign on a short term bridge deal.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
AJ re-signing means JAC will return to Wests imo. It may actually result in a little bit of cap space being freed up for other re-signings.
I'm confident that if the club wants to keep all three of Amone, Sironen and Marsters, they'll be able to find a way. I don't believe any of them are in line for a big raise. All three will most likely re-sign on a short term bridge deal.
Yeah JAC to Tigers is firming.

Hope you're right about Siro (and Marsters), I could see the Tigers making a play for Siro, but now that he is a pretty much permanent starter in our side don't know why he'd want to go to a rubbish team like that LOL. Manly might be another threat

Travitoh

First Grade
Yeah JAC to Tigers is firming.

Hope you're right about Siro (and Marsters), I could see the Tigers making a play for Siro, but now that he is a pretty much permanent starter in our side don't know why he'd want to go to a rubbish team like that LOL. Manly might be another threat

I don't see Wests or Manly pricing Souths out of the negotiations. Neither side will sign him to start and have problems elsewhere that are a higher priority.
All three of those players are in a sweet spot for Souths at the moment where they've shown enough for the club to confidently re-sign them but haven't excelled at a level that would attract strong interest from other clubs.
They'll most likely be renewed at the end of the season i believe with 1 or 2 year extensions.

Assuming the AJ news is true and Marsters stays, i would be very happy to see this weeks backline + Latrell at FB to start round 1 next season. Unlikely if Roberts is still around but i honestly view him as the 4th best centre at the club.

handyman2190

Bench
Jac was coming, we allocated cap for him but he priced himself out of it by shopping himself at FB money, so we couldnt afford him,when that became clear last week we obviously tied up AJ

callmack1

Staff member
Bennett addresses latest Broncos return rumours: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/09/bennett-addresses-latest-broncos-return-rumours/

Broncos boss opens door to have Bennett back despite Ikin’s Wayne warning: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/0135c25f5342c4121f53c06616adc2a1

From Sporting News,

State of Origin: Slashed match payments and tight bubble restrictions draw fears for interstate series

There are fresh fears players may withdraw their availability for this year's State of Origin series due to heavily reduced match payments and a reluctance towards entering another bubble.

Players selected in this year's series, particularly those involved in the finals series, face the stark reality of another six-week stay inside the Origin bubble, before potentially returning to their club bubbles straight after Christmas in preparation for the 2021 NRL season.

While News Corp reports the NRL and RLPA are locked in discussions over a potential pay cut that would see the $30,000 Origin players stand to earn slashed by more than 50 per cent.

The report claims there are widespread fears among club officials this year's post-season series could be heavily compromised as a result of the pay cuts and extended time in the NRL bubble.

The NRL's biosecurity measures will restrict players from re-entering the Origin bubble mid-series, which means both New South Wales and Queensland will be forced to select extended squads, with a number of players chosen no guarantee of playing a game.

The Daily Telegraph 's Dean Ritchie told Big Sports Breakfast the reduced match payments will be divided amongst the extended squads, which poses the threat that some players may feel disincentivised to play in this year's series.

"The payments to each player are 30,000 so they can pull 90,000 by playing all three games," Ritchie said.

"That 30,000 will now be sliced and diced because of the situation, which is completely understandable. But what's going to happen now is that reduced money will go into a pool but rather than divvying that up among the 17 players, they'll divide that money up among the entire squad.

"There will be expanded squads now because players can't come in and out of the bubble during the series so you have to pick a side that's going to last you the three games, like a mini Kangaroos tour you could say.

"The money will be down and also the fact they've been in a bubble since late March. They might get out of the bubble for a week or two, and then they're going to be sucked back into another bubble for six more weeks."

Both states will select a larger squad to cover the looming threat of injuries, which are expected to be a significant factor this year given the toll on the players bodies in a shorted season.

However, Ritchie added some players selected face the reality of not playing one game but still being stuck inside the bubble for six weeks.

"If it's 25, 26, or even 27 [squad members], with all due respect, some of those players aren't going to get a run," he said. "So they could essentially be in the bubble for six weeks, earning minimal money, although money isn't the overriding factor, and not be getting a game, away from family and friends yet again.

"I guess there would be some reluctance there. The lure of being in Origin is a massive factor for any player, that's part of the reason you play, is to play for your state.

"But I'm sure there'd be some resistance there and some discussions at home."

Former NSW Blues coach Laurie Daley admitted it's a huge ask for the players, particularly those involved in the finals series.

"I just wonder how the players will be feeling," Daley said.

"It's going to be the guys that have been a part of the finals series that'll be more affected because the guys that miss out on finals will get two weeks off to get outside their bubble.

"I don't think it'd be the money, it'd be more the fact of the bubble. I reckon some players would be struggling in the bubble now and then if they've got to go back into it for six weeks, more so the guys that aren't playing because they're just training in the bubble and they get out of that Origin campaign and they've got to get back into their club campaign and back into isolation again. It's a big ask."

handyman2190

Bench
On nrl 360 they are linking tamou,hethrington and the fox to the tigers, im not sure how they can afford all of them considering joshR and packer are on a reported 800 each.
I for one wish we could get hethrington, who is an absolute mongrel and would give our pack real authority.
If lowe could be medically retired, what a replacement!