What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

mxlegend99

Referee
I think Cleary plays better when Jimmy isn't there.
100% he does. It becomes his team.

The only time it has really been his team was in 2017 when Moylan was injured and he was partnered with May at 6.

2016 it was Moylans team. He was basically our 1, 6 and 7.

2018 Jimmy came in and it became his team after Cleary was early in the season. Before his injury Cleary started the 2018 season off with 3 try assists in the first 2 games. When the team was supposed to be his.

The he is injured in first half of game 3 and returns as second fiddle to Jimmy because everyone said it had to be Jimmys team... because Jimmy was shit when it was Nathans team.

Recently Cleary was MOTM with a couple of try assists in a game without Jimmy too. He's not going to reach Thurston levels of dominance. But he has more to offer when it's his team. Not that it will likely be enough with his dad coaching and our roster looking nearly as horrible as the ones we had when Gus first came in to rebuild.

We will know pretty early in 2020 if he can be better without a more senior and experienced player basically being our dominant playmaker. If he cant then we really have to hope Luai or Burton has an epic season.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I said in the description the examples aren't exhaustive. It's meant as a discussion point as I'm working on a proper video. It does prove the point that he is capable which you have said he isn't. I said in the video it isn't happening regularly like it should. My hypothesis is coaching issues.

The kicks show are to show his vision.

When he throws a 10-15m cut out that hit Whare or the right winger on the outside of his opponent then get back to me.

One like these;

betcats

Referee
When he throws a 10-15m cut out that hit Whare or the right winger on the outside of his opponent then get back to me.

One like these;

Both Jimmy and Cleary have that pass in their arsenal but how often do we see it? I wonder why? We never stand deep enough for cutout balls like that.

OldPanther

Coach

One like these;

Both Jimmy and Cleary have that pass in their arsenal but how often do we see it? I wonder why? We never stand deep enough for cutout balls like that.

His pass to Whare cuts out the second rower fullback and goes to the centre and is almost identical to the Eels example except he hit the winger.

Fangs

Coach
Said it before and I'll say it again.

I can't wait for Clearyball in 2020. It's going to be amazing.

If Clearly’s attacking play doesn’t improve without Maloney, what then?

I mean it’ll be his fifth season, he will have played over 100 games by the end of next season. Pretty sure we’re very close to the point where what you see is what you get. I think we may have passed it personally.

genuinely think it’s false hope to think he’s all of a sudden going to have game vision without Maloney.

Marky Mark

Juniors

I mean it’ll be his fifth season, he will have played over 100 games by the end of next season. Pretty sure we’re very close to the point where what you see is what you get. I think we may have passed it personally.

genuinely think it’s false hope to think he’s all of a sudden going to have game vision without Maloney.
Right on, splashed way too much cash on a mediocre half

OldPanther

Coach

He had game vision before Maloney. I've Said I'll accept being wrong but something seems to be up since Maloney started. It could be something as simple as Maloney's dominant personality.

He had game vision before Maloney. I've Said I'll accept being wrong but something seems to be up since Maloney started. It could be something as simple as Maloney's dominant personality.

He did? 10 assists in 2017.

9 assists this year.

His stats over his four seasons are almost identical, main thing that changed was kicking meters.

He’s just not an attacking half, which is a problem because we’re bad in attack, and the 7’s main job is to create points. If we’re going to improve in attack it’s not going to be because of Cleary.

Dave's mate

Juniors

No one is saying that but yes 2020 is the make or break year for Nathan.

OldPanther

Coach
He did? 10 assists in 2017.

9 assists this year.

His stats over his four seasons are almost identical, main thing that changed was kicking meters.

He’s just not an attacking half, which is a problem because we’re bad in attack, and the 7’s main job is to create points. If we’re going to improve in attack it’s not going to be because of Cleary.

Have a look at that video. The kicks for tries he does are off the cuff just seeing an opportunity. That's vision.

Have a look at that video. The kicks for tries he does are off the cuff just seeing an opportunity. That's vision.

A few examples doesn’t prove anything, no one is saying he isn’t occasionally capable of producing a good play. The problem is he’s not consistently capable of doing it.

You say in the video that a lack of tactical coaching could be contributing, what I’m referring to is natural game vision, something a player has without coaching.

Cleary may well be able to run set plays, but he’s not consistently able to play what’s in front of him.

tripster

Juniors
The only cause for optimism is that a better dummy half with consistently better service might give Cleary more time to make decisions in attack, which might make a difference. We can only hope anyway.

OldPanther

Coach
A few examples doesn’t prove anything, no one is saying he isn’t occasionally capable of producing a good play. The problem is he’s not consistently capable of doing it.

You say in the video that a lack of tactical coaching could be contributing, what I’m referring to is natural game vision, something a player has without coaching.

Cleary may well be able to run set plays, but he’s not consistently able to play what’s in front of him.

I'm saying he is capable which is demonstrably true. I just showed it. Why he hasn't been showing it more often is a guess. My guess is we are a poorly coached team and he goes into his shell when a more dominant player is in the team. The amount of touches is irrelevant. People behave differently when a more dominant personality is in the room. Based on Nathan's more quiet personality I would bet he feels it easily when someone like Maloney comes along. All a guess though.