What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

franklin2323

Immortal
He put Edwards over v the sharks a couple weeks ago inside the twenty. Put Mansour or Too over against the titans also, those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head, your memory isn't very good its not a valid source of what Nathan can and cant do. The cutout pass thing is rubbish, so is him not kicking for field position. He did both those things on the weekend and yet these myths still get perpetuated on here.

Mansour only scored one v Sharks. He didn't play the GC game that was Maloney

Kilkenny

Coach
Sorry but you are all a load of whingers. Look forward with some positive thought instead.

Hook’s three years were not without there frustrations but I was fun to make the finals three years in a row and win our first semi final in each.

Compare that to 2019 we have gone backwards in just about every area possible.

I think given Gus is gone, and we now have to rely on the three wise men in Cleary, O’Neil and Fletcher I can somewhat understand the pessimism.

We recruited Api Koroisau but I’m not sure he is the messiah. Should help but we need more given RCG and other departures still to be confirmed.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don't care about people being negative but its a bit much when people are already saying the attack wont improve next year nothing will change etc

I agree because things have to change, they will change, we just need to spend what ever funds we have very wisely and get the best value for our cap space as possible.

We still have the nucleus of a decent side and with improved fitness, some fresh faces and most importantly improved coaching there is no reason we cannot compete for a position in the top 8.

It took me 5 minutes of effort last time to find multiple examples showing he does this. Now it takes a long time to make a video and I'm not making my channel Panthers centric so I'm not going to cover an entire year but this idea Nathan doesn't pass to the fullback or centre isn't accurate.

When combined with what has been shown on here before about Ivan that it's our attacking structures that suck.

When people say he doesn’t pass to the outside backs, they’re not saying he’s never passed to the outside backs. They’re saying he doesn’t pass *enough* to the outside backs.

He also did the same thing last year before Ivan arrived, so it’s not to do with Ivan’s attacking structures.

*Deleted*

The first one is a nice quick cutout, the second is just a basic quick catch & pass.

I really think the criticism is that he doesn’t create enough from his passing, when you handle the ball as much as he does there’s always going to be some tries created by passing. But with how few it is it says he’s not a natural.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flashstep

Juniors
Agreed with herb on this one, the biggest problem with Cleary I think is that he barely if ever uses his 2nd rowers as decoys and often throws them hospital passes, now whether this is Cleary’s fault or the coaches lack of attacking game plan who knows really but it’s very frustrating because these kinds of plays are very easy to read and can stop momentum easily.

Our halves next year need to learn to add some variety to their passing game, I think the small amount I’ve seen of Luai he does this really well, he skips to the outside and gets early ball to the centres which gives them much needed space with the ball, wouldn’t hurt to have a few hole runners though.

OldPanther

Coach
When people say he doesn’t pass to the outside backs, they’re not saying he’s never passed to the outside backs. They’re saying he doesn’t pass *enough* to the outside backs.

He also did the same thing last year before Ivan arrived, so it’s not to do with Ivan’s attacking structures.

Franklin is implying he can't do it at all:

When has he done it this year? I don't remember any tries he created inside the 20 that wasn't himself or a grubber

I agree we need more but it has definitely been said multiple times that he never does certain things.

franklin2323

Immortal
The first one is a nice quick cutout, the second is just a basic quick catch & pass.

I really think the criticism is that he doesn’t create enough from his passing, when you handle the ball as much as he does there’s always going to be some tries created by passing. But with how few it is it says he’s not a natural.

Like I said he is fine until we get a set start or inside the 20. Then it is so predictable and unless the grubbers go through or Kikau barges over very limited

OldPanther

Coach
Inside the 20 was the wording, That is the issue and will still be going forward

Both tries I showed were inside the 20m on set starts with Cleary either passing to the fullback or the centre(this one was a cutout pass he is apparently incapable of)

Kilkenny

Coach
2020 will be Nathan’s 5th year in the NRL and he will own the team basically with Maloney gone so it will be interesting to see whether he is up to it.

He can’t do it on his own and will surely need others to stand up and at the same time the coaching staff will have to develop better game plan’s & set play’s for him to create.

Time will tell, he is a talented footballer with lot’s of strength’s they just need to be harnessed in the right area’s and supported by the other 16 players and coaching staff.

franklin2323

Immortal
Both tries I showed were inside the 20m on set starts with Cleary either passing to the fullback or the centre(this one was a cutout pass he is apparently incapable of)

So over the course of the year there was only 2 times it was done? Not good enough for a FG half

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't care about people being negative given how disappointing this season turned out but its a bit much when people are already saying the attack wont improve next year nothing will change etc

You don't think all those sides not in finals won't improve also? It isn't that we won't improve but we won't improve enougj

OldPanther

Coach
So over the course of the year there was only 2 times it was done? Not good enough for a FG half

You're now changing the focus of the discussion. Also it takes hours to make a video properly which is too much to prove a simple point. This continuous moving of the goal posts is unreasonable.

We keep going in circles.

Multiple forum users: "Nathan can't do it. Just once I want to see a cutout pass etc."

Me: "I demonstrate he has this ability."

Forum users: " of course he can but he doesn't do it enough. You only showed 1 or 2!"

Rinse and repeat.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
The way people on here are going on about Cleary you’d think our first try against Canterbury in 2016 happened because the ball aparated in front of DWZ’s chest.

franklin2323

Immortal
You're now changing the focus of the discussion. Also it takes hours to make a video properly which is too much to prove a simple point. This continuous moving of the goal posts is unreasonable.

We keep going in circles.

Multiple forum users: "Nathan can't do it. Just once I want to see a cutout pass etc."

Me: "I demonstrate he has this ability."

Forum users: " of course he can but he doesn't do it enough. You only showed 1 or 2!"

Rinse and repeat.

It isn't changing the goal posts at all. My question is simple what is to show will be any better inside the 20 then we were this year.

Api while being better then what we have now had 5 try assists

Our 5/8 will have less then 10 starting games no matter which way we go.

Edwards lacks the play making needed.

Then the halfback is consistent over his 70 odd games at ave a try assist every 2 games.

There were 6 tries on the video. Or that only showed different then what most on here were saying given he had 10 assists for the year safe to say there weren't too many missed.

Which is why I think the Flegg guys developing in 2-3 years are the best hope to improve going forward

OldPanther

Coach
@franklin2323

I hope this doesn't come across as rude but I'm going to have to lay it out.

You: "When has he done it this year? I don't remember any tries he createdinside the 20 that wasn't himself or a grubber".

Me: "First 2 tries in my video are from this year which he directly creates via his passing."

You: "Like I said he is fine until we get a set start or inside the 20. Then it is so predictable and unless the grubbers go through or Kikau barges over very limited" "Inside the 20 was the wording,That is the issue and will still be going forward"

Me: "Both tries I showed were inside the 20m on set starts with Cleary either passing to the fullback or the centre(this one was a cutout pass he is apparently incapable of)"

You: "So over the course of the year there was only 2 times it was done? Not good enough for a FG half" - This final response is a complete shift in the argument and what's known as moving the goal posts.

Also I have to say as a separate point Why does kicks matter? If we want our spine creating points I don't think it matters how.