What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

franklin2323

Immortal
If he does, then I'd like to see Luai move to fullback. With his speed, footwork, passing and short kicking game, he has everything we lack at fullback with Edwards playing there. A spine of Luai, Burton, Cleary and Koroisau would certainly help our attack.

I know it won't happen though, the safe way to start the season is Cleary and Luai in the halves and Edwards at fullback.

We will start that way but it takes a few games where we don't end sets well. Or injuries in other positions for a change

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
If he does, then I'd like to see Luai move to fullback. With his speed, footwork, passing and short kicking game, he has everything we lack at fullback with Edwards playing there. A spine of Luai, Burton, Cleary and Koroisau would certainly help our attack.

I know it won't happen though, the safe way to start the season is Cleary and Luai in the halves and Edwards at fullback.

According to Penrith Panthers stat attack Edwards had the leading tackle breaks in the club. https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2019/10/21/2019-stat-attack-tackle-breakers/

I think moving Lui to fullback would be a poor option. Why not play him at 14. Bring in on and have 3 halves playing, Works well against tiring forwards. Cleary did this in a couple of games this year. We won all of them. I think it was against the Chooks at home, Knights at home and the dragons at home.

betcats

Referee
We know my thoughts on Burton but he is still a rookie with a lot to prove. That being said he is 6 foot 5 with brilliant footwork and very good pace, he has a great kicking game long or short. This we know, he’s shown it off plenty in the lower grades. In his nrl debut he showed a maturity and decision making and leadership in spades, if that wasn’t a fluke he will be starting in our halves sooner rather than later.

franklin2323

Immortal
We know my thoughts on Burton but he is still a rookie with a lot to prove. That being said he is 6 foot 5 with brilliant footwork and very good pace, he has a great kicking game long or short. This we know, he’s shown it off plenty in the lower grades. In his nrl debut he showed a maturity and decision making and leadership in spades, if that wasn’t a fluke he will be starting in our halves sooner rather than later.

I had my doubts over Luai to play halves for a while the fact Burton is good only helps that.

I don't think Staines or Laurie will be ready this year. Aekins isn't very good so for me if Edwards goes down Luai should go back there. Or same with centre I think he is better than Naden or Crichton at this moment.

Both I see as better options then not picking one or the other

mxlegend99

Referee
Luai at fullback was a disaster when Hook put him there. Its possible he could improve. But you're not strengthening the team by doing it IMO.

Edwards has flaws. But ticks more boxes at fullback than Luai.

If we need to shift him to fit Burton in. Doing it to our weakest position makes more sense IMO. Centre is by far our biggest issue at the moment. Not sure Luai fixes that. But his one game at centre was far better than his one game at fullback.

Main thing though is Edwards is a good solid fullback. Our centres are a bloke who has been destroyed by injury and a bloke who cant pass or tackle but is great at finishing and good on the end of kicks.

Crashtest

Juniors
According to Penrith Panthers stat attack Edwards had the leading tackle breaks in the club. https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2019/10/21/2019-stat-attack-tackle-breakers/

I think moving Lui to fullback would be a poor option. Why not play him at 14. Bring in on and have 3 halves playing, Works well against tiring forwards. Cleary did this in a couple of games this year. We won all of them. I think it was against the Chooks at home, Knights at home and the dragons at home.

You need more than tackle breaks from your fullback though, especially when playing against the better defensive teams.

franklin2323

Immortal
Luai at fullback was a disaster when Hook put him there. Its possible he could improve. But you're not strengthening the team by doing it IMO.

If we need to shift him to fit Burton in. Doing it to our weakest position makes more sense IMO. Centre is by far our biggest issue at the moment. Not sure Luai fixes that. But his one game at centre was far better than his one game at fullback.

Main thing though is Edwards is a good solid fullback. Our centres are a bloke who has been destroyed by injury and a bloke who cant pass or tackle but is great at finishing and good on the end of kicks.

I don't think either are long term options but short term while the Flegg guys develop more. Some tough decisions come up that is for sure

franklin2323

Immortal
You need more than tackle breaks from your fullback though, especially when playing against the better defensive teams.

That is it for me. Lose nothing if Edwards is on the wing but my point was he has yet to play a full season yet so at some stage we need cover

betcats

Referee
I had my doubts over Luai to play halves for a while the fact Burton is good only helps that.

I don't think Staines or Laurie will be ready this year. Aekins isn't very good so for me if Edwards goes down Luai should go back there. Or same with centre I think he is better than Naden or Crichton at this moment.

Both I see as better options then not picking one or the other

Yeah if it works out that he isn’t in the halves i wouldn’t mind playing him at fullback or centre, same for Burton. Burton would be easier to shift tbh maybe a year or two at centre or fb(If Edwards isn’t doing the job) would be good for him but I just see him as the best long term prospect in the halves we have.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah if it works out that he isn’t in the halves i wouldn’t mind playing him at fullback or centre, same for Burton. Burton would be easier to shift tbh maybe a year or two at centre or fb(If Edwards isn’t doing the job) would be good for him but I just see him as the best long term prospect in the halves we have.

Both could no doubt handle centre or Fullback. Both are left footers but for me I need to see a decent kicking game from Luai to be sold on him

kinghippo

Juniors
I didn’t realise Burton was so tall. 6’5, he will be a unit when he fills out.

Zampaa

Juniors

It's hard to say it was a disaster when he had a season ending injury after about 20 minutes.

mxlegend99

Referee
It's hard to say it was a disaster when he had a season ending injury after about 20 minutes.
Doesn't get much more disastrous than that does it?

His 20 minutes before injury were pretty bad though. Broncos halves weren't very good but they still managed to expose his flaws as a fullback pretty quickly for us to see its not his best position.

Not that he couldnt improve them a bit. But unless we had injury again forcing us its not a risk you would want to take.

betcats

Referee
I remember him being a bit shaky back there. I wouldn't rule him out of the position permanently though.

roofromoz

First Grade
Are we still switching to O'Neills or staying with Classic? They have announced their new partnership with Newcastle but nothing on Penrith.

Latest posts