What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad

As soon as we kiss Esan goodbye, he will become back of the year.

On the upside:

We did better than 7 sides this season. There is no reason why any of their players wouldn’t want a chance to play in the finals with us next year.

Of vic ‘s list I could only bring myself to select 13 players I want to hang about plus Lawrence as a club man. Only 3 of our current starting backs deserve captured status. The rest I would shop around.

stryker

First Grade
I'm still optimistic that we'll pick up AJ Brimson.
Our biggest concern is still hooker; Grub could train for the entire offseason to adjust to his new role but he's just as injury-prone as Liddle.
Brooks.
I think he would thrive there.
He has an awesome front on defensive technique
He is tough
He has ball skills and a short kicking game
He is quick off the mark for scoots.

The kid can play footy. He just isnt a halfback at this level.

The unknown

Juniors
Brooks physique is fine

Its his kicking game & control of a game that needs work though. We say that every year though and nothing really changes so I guess this is as good as he gets until we get a decent team around him

Brimson and paps would be good investments.

Robbie played his last game with a broken leg, that’s the way to go out of the game. I’ve broken some limbs, it’s not painless!

I hope he hangs around to instil that courage in players for awhile.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Until we clear out the dead weight we aren't going to be making a serious finals push. I'm really loving what Madge has done with our squad, but I don't see us making a legitimate push into finals with only 2/3 of our salary cap contributing to the 25 games in the season.

Reynolds, Matulino, Packer, Mcqueen all need to be moved on, but I just don't see it happening any time soon. Our only hope is to kick in a huge chunk of their salary for 2020 season at another club, front-load as many of our long term player salaries as possible, and go hard in the market for 2021 season. Guys like Brimson, Arrow, Papenhuyzen, Ese'se are all realistic targets and probably command the same sort of combined salary.

gordynz

Juniors
I honestly think we are fine for front rowers and if we can move Packer and Matulino that will free up some space to target the likes of Arrow, Brimson or Papenhuyzen. Next years FR rotation of Aloiai, Mikaele, Twal and Clark is really exciting and I hope the club locks them down in the near future.

I somehow can't see another club taking Reynolds salary so i'd have him stay for next season. No point in us paying for him to be at another club, plus his effort and experience will be useful to the younger blokes. The real problem is goal kicking and outside backs... Thompson tries hard, but he's only average and we desperately need an upgrade at the back. Jennings is garbage and needs to go once Mbye is fully fit, moving Momirovski to the wing, hopefully he can continue to improve on his goal kicking.

But like I've said in previous posts, realistically we won't be competitive for another two or three seasons solely due to the poor salary cap management. Madge has done an impressive job with the squad he's inherited and i'm super confident he can turn this club around with a bit of time.

Based on who's signed and likely to re-sign this is my team for 2020 below. In brackets are potential rumoured signings.

1. Thompson (Brimson/Papenhuyzen)
2. Nofoaluma
3. Mbye
4. Marsters
5. Momirovski
6. Marshall
7. Brooks
8. Mikaele
9. Reynolds
10. Aloiai
11. Garner
12. Matterson
13. Eisenhuth (Arrow)

14. Clark
15. Twal
16. Lawrence
17. Chee Kam

Shredder

Juniors
We have those two kids from QLD who will probably be in the top 30.

If we cant find anyone, Lawrence said hes happy to take a pay cut to stay next year. That would be 30.

Vic Mackey

Referee
We have those two kids from QLD who will probably be in the top 30.

If we cant find anyone, Lawrence said hes happy to take a pay cut to stay next year. That would be 30.

They’re on development contracts mate. Those 2, Zac Cini (very highly rated center) and that Henry Lealunga-Phuato (prop/backrower) are our 4 for 2020.

The unknown

Juniors
Billy Britain, playing South's reserve grade won best player in the CC last night

Isn't wanted by South's cause is behind Cook, Should absolutely sign him.

If you haven't figured it out by now he plays 9

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Until we clear out the dead weight we aren't going to be making a serious finals push. I'm really loving what Madge has done with our squad, but I don't see us making a legitimate push into finals with only 2/3 of our salary cap contributing to the 25 games in the season.

Reynolds, Matulino, Packer, Mcqueen all need to be moved on, but I just don't see it happening any time soon. Our only hope is to kick in a huge chunk of their salary for 2020 season at another club, front-load as many of our long term player salaries as possible, and go hard in the market for 2021 season. Guys like Brimson, Arrow, Papenhuyzen, Ese'se are all realistic targets and probably command the same sort of combined salary.

I would suspect we might have to ask others to explore the market- Marsters and Mbye spring to mind, and I'd even suggest somewhat in a resigned manner Liddle too. Have to be players that can be replaced by equal or better either on hand in roster to purchased a bit cheaper.,

Shredder

Juniors
Vic I was talking about that QLD Cup hooker. I cant think of his name.

When the club finally announced it there was another Qlder on the same press release.

Vic Mackey

Referee

When the club finally announced it there was another Qlder on the same press release.

Yep, both are on development contracts. The hooker is apparently a real good get

480233ED-E0F4-4DBA-92B4-01C1B9884108.png

tiger102

Juniors

Jake Simpkin is Qlder hooker, and Reece Hoffman is the other one.

The unknown

Juniors
Not really much to look forward to next year unless we can move a couple players on. Here is a hypothetical squad if some of the rumours are anything to go by

1. Brimson
2. Momivroski
3. Marsters (last chance)
4. Mbye
5. Thompson
6. Marshall
7. Brooks
8. Musgrove
9. Walters
10. Clarke
11. Garner
12. Chee Kam
13. Arrow

14. Twal
15. Packer
16. Aloiai
17. Mikaele

Still a pretty underwhelming team. Packer needs to be in the team with the loss of Farahs experience plus imagine Aloiai, Mikaele and Packer tearing up the middle all at once. I think Packer is best off the bench

Tiger05

First Grade
realistically we won't be competitive for another two or three seasons solely due to the poor salary cap management.

This is the issue isn't it. We have to try and improve the squad and then not blow our load when we have some room in the salary cap.