What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad

Pezz70

Juniors
Be interesting to see if Packer stacks up in the off season. Some hard work wouldn’t hurt him. He should embrace it. He has to look in the mirror, no other side is gonna take him on, his days in the NRL are over if he is not playing for the Tigers, why not give 100%?

He is touted as a HC but is obviously not up to the rigours of professional rugby league off the paddock. Imagine how hard he’d be if he was actually fit and ripped. He needs to apply that in field tough guy attitude on the training paddock to - rip in and go for it.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Be interesting to see if Packer stacks up in the off season. Some hard work wouldn’t hurt him. He should embrace it. He has to look in the mirror, no other side is gonna take him on, his days in the NRL are over if he is not playing for the Tigers, why not give 100%?

He is touted as a HC but is obviously not up to the rigours of professional rugby league off the paddock. Imagine how hard he’d be if he was actually fit and ripped. He needs to apply that in field tough guy attitude on the training paddock to - rip in and go for it.

A fit and firing Packer would be a huge asset, the first 6 rounds of 2018 before his knee injury he was a machine. I’m not sure what’s happened since then but he had been a huge disappointment. Even more disappointing that word is he is happy to plod along in reserve grade and soak up the salary cap. In the 2 of the 3 nsw Cup games I saw him play he was close to the worst player on the field

Tiger05

First Grade
Our middle forwards should be one of our strengths but with Matterson probably leaving plus Packer not performing and Matulino apparently close to being shot we need some changes there. If Packer got his game together and we signed Musgrove we would again look decent in that area.

We really need a quality forward to replace Matterson and even then ideally another middle forward signing.

Aloiai, Mikaele, Twal, Clarke, Taylor and Eisenhuth are all pretty good with different strengths and weaknesses.

We need to get that middle go forward and defence up to standard.

Then we need a hooker.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
All I can ask Is what was Cleary smoking when he did those deals to get Packer (till end 2021), Matulino (end of 2020), Reynolds (end of 2021) and Mbye (end of 2022) to the club- for such $$$ and long terms despite injuries and in the case of Mbye an unsettled role in Bulldogs to base such as huge pay packet upon.

I don’t really blame Pascoe as much for this situation as much as I do Kelly Egan. It was the role of General Manager of Football, to supervise football operations and recruitment and retention. He was there from the start of 2017 season to May 2019. Matulino and Reynolds were signed April 2017, Packer signed May 2017 and Mbye in May 2018. He must have supported Cleary and what he was doing- I’m sure if he demurred at all, Pascoe would not have signed off on things.

Apparently medical clearances were not sought for prospective players and big overpayments compared to what opposition clubs were offering. These 2 points should have raised issues with Egan but as far as we can tell absolute silence. Maybe part of it was the WT loosing at the same time Tedesco, Woods and Moses but that doesn’t excuse due diligence and a bit of thinking- we can certainly argue that Pascoe should have provided that before signing off but hard to resist when faced by the Head |Coach and General Manager Football ‘we must’, ‘trust us’.

The big do-do we find ourselves in should never be forgotten. Never a next time please. Signings can always go wrong- eg Matterson, but never such panic buying again and foregoing normal practices.

The unknown

Juniors

Is this Packers last contracted year with us? if so, expect him to rip in

Tiger05

First Grade
The big do-do we find ourselves in should never be forgotten. Never a next time please. Signings can always go wrong- eg Matterson, but never such panic buying again and foregoing normal practices.

We've done this previously as well. The panic buying especially the long term contracts killed us this time.

stryker

First Grade
Our middle forwards should be one of our strengths but with Matterson probably leaving plus Packer not performing and Matulino apparently close to being shot we need some changes there. If Packer got his game together and we signed Musgrove we would again look decent in that area.

We really need a quality forward to replace Matterson and even then ideally another middle forward signing.

Aloiai, Mikaele, Twal, Clarke, Taylor and Eisenhuth are all pretty good with different strengths and weaknesses.

We need to get that middle go forward and defence up to standard.

Then we need a hooker.
I agree all of those forwards are pretty good.
Thats why we keep missing the finals.

tiger102

Juniors
Guys, we can try and get one year early as they’re contracted for 2020

Zac Lomax - fullback/ centre
Renouf Toomaga- Dogs forward
Ryan James- would be perfect for our pack, something we really need. An fwd leader.
Remis Smith - superstar back who would solidify our backline as the best.
Raymond Faitala-Mariner - Dogs forward

1 Lomax
2 Smith
3 Mbye
4 Momorovski
5 Hiroti
6 Benji
7 Brooks
8 Twal
9 Walters / Liddle
10 Ryan James
11 Garner
12 Faitala-Mariner
13 Aloiai

14 Walters / Liddle
15 Mikaele
16 Toomaga
17 MCK

simmo05

Bench
Guys, we can try and get one year early as they’re contracted for 2020

Zac Lomax - fullback/ centre
Renouf Toomaga- Dogs forward
Ryan James- would be perfect for our pack, something we really need. An fwd leader.
Remis Smith - superstar back who would solidify our backline as the best.
Raymond Faitala-Mariner - Dogs forward

1 Lomax
2 Smith
3 Mbye
4 Momorovski
5 Hiroti
6 Benji
7 Brooks
8 Twal
9 Walters / Liddle
10 Ryan James
11 Garner
12 Faitala-Mariner
13 Aloiai

14 Walters / Liddle
15 Mikaele
16 Toomaga
17 MCK
Needs some more Tyson Frizel. And get simple jack from the raiders too

Before we sign any regular first grader I would like our club to consider why the player in question is not being pursued by his existing club and whether or not the signing will benefit our club or hinder it, for to long now we have recruited duds that are only interested in their pay rather than their on field performance.

axl rose

Bench
Even more disappointing that word is he is happy to plod along in reserve grade and soak up the salary cap. In the 2 of the 3 nsw Cup games I saw him play he was close to the worst player on the field

Why are their thier contracts not more incentives based. Everything in favour of the snake oil managers and players. It does my head in.

I would not put to much faith in Packer, the older you get the harder this game is on players especially if knee injuries etc are troubling them.
But regarding Packer, I remember watching Saints at WIN stadium, getting beat by a well drilled Storm side and couldn’t see what all the fuss was about, I thought he went missing as did a number of his other forwards that day, de Belin was the only saints forward imo having ago.