What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad

Magpies Forever

Juniors
My long standing concern for the WT squad for years has been a lack of organising half / five-eighth. I remain extremely doubtful Brooks will ever be that, Marshall can do it but who will be the understudy?

Tigerm

First Grade
My long standing concern for the WT squad for years has been a lack of organising half / five-eighth. I remain extremely doubtful Brooks will ever be that, Marshall can do it but who will be the understudy?
Isn't the Walters kid being groomed for this role?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Walters was recruited as a halves understudy but I have no idea on his ability to see / read opportunities and direct the squad appropriately. If he is like his dad I'd say yep bring it on.

gordsy

Juniors
Walters was recruited as a halves understudy but I have no idea on his ability to see / read opportunities and direct the squad appropriately. If he is like his dad I'd say yep bring it on.

If he was like his dad he would have been signed and starting long before we got him

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Always thought Robert would be the best of Jennings.

This year he proves me wrong or right.

Michael has quite the record. Origins, Premierships, Green and gold.

Tiger05

First Grade
From reading stuff online it looks like there’s a good chance 28 & 29 will be Alex Johnson and Stefano Utoikamanu.

Our squad feels a bit forward heavy for me, if it is those guys we’d still need one more back with pace IMO

I hope we get these two guys and hopefully a gun back that gets plucked out of nowhere.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
From reading stuff online it looks like there’s a good chance 28 & 29 will be Alex Johnson and Stefano Utoikamanu.

Our squad feels a bit forward heavy for me, if it is those guys we’d still need one more back with pace IMO

Agree, that would leave a final spot for an opportune player before 30 June.

I would still not be surprised to see McQueen shift to ESL freeing up another spot. Seems we are stuck with Packer and Reynolds. Reynolds will no go anywhere at very least until his court case is completed. I also have a huge question mark over the future of Liddle as I think his knees are shot and when y endanger your long term health for a game.

macnaz

Staff member

I would still not be surprised to see McQueen shift to ESL freeing up another spot. Seems we are stuck with Packer and Reynolds. Reynolds will no go anywhere at very least until his court case is completed. I also have a huge question mark over the future of Liddle as I think his knees are shot and when y endanger your long term health for a game.
What do you mean Liddles "KNEES" are shot ? He f**ked one knee as in 1 due to a freak unfortunate accident that would have f**ked up any players knee . He has however had a series of shoulder problems and reconstructions which is something I would have been more concerned about ... but keep in mind while he has been unable to work on his leg strength you can be assured he has been doing overtime strengthening his upper body and shoulders while waiting on the knee to mend.

The unknown

Juniors

We used to be shit hot with pacey backs and were used to having powder puff forward packs, it’s quite the opposite now though where I feel like we have a pack that can match oppositions without getting manhandled and relying on individual brilliance from our backs to get us out of trouble (Benji, teddy etc)

Tiger05

First Grade
What do you mean Liddles "KNEES" are shot ? He f**ked one knee as in 1 due to a freak unfortunate accident that would have f**ked up any players knee . He has however had a series of shoulder problems and reconstructions which is something I would have been more concerned about ... but keep in mind while he has been unable to work on his leg strength you can be assured he has been doing overtime strengthening his upper body and shoulders while waiting on the knee to mend.

I've seen this kid look really good. He isn't small. I see him as a fast robust hooker with good quick service. I keep hoping he will come good but he has to prove himself at some point.

macnaz

Staff member
We used to be shit hot with pacey backs and were used to having powder puff forward packs, it’s quite the opposite now though where I feel like we have a pack that can match oppositions without getting manhandled and relying on individual brilliance from our backs to get us out of trouble (Benji, teddy etc)
To be honest we often, myself included overlook the ability to score points through the middle and edges . I think we have the talent to do that this year and score the majority of tries that way. It becomes a problem in the tight games without speed when you need to create something from our own end to either score or make metres to get back on the attack.
It can be done with slower players using brilliant back up support in numbers but it requires elite fitness and desire ... to do it all year though is a big ask. At least we know the majority of the team are pretty tough and working hard for the club.. I'll support them even if we cant jag a superstar :thumbsup:

Vic Mackey

Referee

By all reports Packer and Madge have made up and Packer has been ripping in in pre season. A fit Packer is a big asset and essentially new signing.

We probably will leave that spot 30 open for a good back however it also wouldn’t surprise if it’s being left open with eye on how Jake Simpkin goes in nsw Cup.

This kid is very highly rated and when we signed him the QLD media couldn’t believe we’d pried him away from the Broncos. QLD U/18 who stared in their Origin win. Then came into Wynumm Manly QLD Cup side and helped them to a Grand Final birth.

Biggest difference between him and previous young hookers Cherrington and Liddle is that he has a very solid build whereas they were sticks at 18. If Walters/Reynolds/Mbye don’t fix the 9 and Simpkin goes ok in NSW Cup id expect him to be topped upto a top 30 spot.

95ABA7D4-CF1B-410F-9B10-9EDF02256C3C.jpeg

macnaz

Staff member
By all reports Packer and Madge have made up and Packer has been ripping in in pre season. A fit Packer is a big asset and essentially new signing.

We probably will leave that spot 30 open for a good back however it also wouldn’t surprise if it’s being left open with eye on how Jake Simpkin goes in nsw Cup.

This kid is very highly rated and when we signed him the QLD media couldn’t believe we’d pried him away from the Broncos. QLD U/18 who stared in their Origin win. Then came into Wynumm Manly QLD Cup side and helped them to a Grand Final birth.

Biggest difference between him and previous young hookers Cherrington and Liddle is that he has a very solid build whereas they were sticks at 18. If Walters/Reynolds/Mbye don’t fix the 9 and Simpkin goes ok in NSW Cup id expect him to be topped upto a top 30 spot.

View attachment 35294
So true in regards to Packer as a "NEW" signing Vic .. as long as he is healthy and gives 100% he can be as good as any front rower , but to be honest even at his best with us he was very underwhelming and didnt live up to the hype what so ever. Hopefully he has point to prove and sets an example to all the young guys he supposedly mentors.
Also we hear stories about Magdes people skills or lack of , if he can work and make amends with a hard nose like Packer the guy couldn't be all that bad.

Vic Mackey

Referee
So true in regards to Packer as a "NEW" signing Vic .. as long as he is healthy and gives 100% he can be as good as any front rower , but to be honest even at his best with us he was very underwhelming and didnt live up to the hype what so ever. Hopefully he has point to prove and sets an example to all the young guys he supposedly mentors.
Also we hear stories about Magdes people skills or lack of , if he can work and make amends with a hard nose like Packer the guy couldn't be all that bad.

I don’t know, Packers first 6 weeks of 2018 before he had a knee injury were immense. In our upset win over the roosters he and JWH went toe and toe and Packer came out on top. If he can get anywhere near back to that it will be huge for us. Also worth noting how young our pack is. If you take Rowdy and McQueen out (who I both think will be playing nsw Cup) then believe it or not MCK is the most experienced. Every pack needs an experienced hard headed leader, look at how the much hyped Broncos pack faired without one (I expect Souths to feel this in 2020).

Re Madge, it’s an interesting one. It’s well documented he is a hard task master but you then hear things like Robbie (who apparently hates everyone) saying he thinks Madge is one of the best men he’s ever met, then when GI was thinking of retiring Madge was one of the first people he called. But then we see first hand what happened with him and Matterson.

Tiger05

First Grade
Is the Fox still in the equation for a spot in the 30 ?

I don't think so but I'd love to be wrong. I reckon the Storm screwed everyone over when they said they wanted a deal. You can't sign a player under those circumstances. I assume that is why Matterson spat the dummy hard.

Tiger05

First Grade
to be honest even at his best with us he was very underwhelming and didnt live up to the hype what so ever.

I see the forwards that Madge likes are guys like Aloiai and Mikaele who can actually make a bust. Packer to me doesn't have that ability.

I reckon we need a bunch of explosive young forwards and we are close to getting there. I assume though Packer isn't going to be re-signed along with probably ET and we will bring in other middle forwards. Twal and Eisenhuth are good middle forwards who will play long minutes and work hard. I think they do that job just as good as Packer but they play longer minutes.

Tiger05

First Grade
Re Madge, it’s an interesting one. It’s well documented he is a hard task master but you then hear things like Robbie (who apparently hates everyone) saying he thinks Madge is one of the best men he’s ever met, then when GI was thinking of retiring Madge was one of the first people he called. But then we see first hand what happened with him and Matterson.

It's interesting isn't it. I don't want a coach who gets the players off side but it's professional sport and the coach has to push his players. We want to win games.

Latest posts