What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 team

aqua_duck

Coach
Fitzy is fine. So that's one we have but edge backrow has been balls for years so nothing new there.

We need to find players to fill the spine.

Brailey looks good at Cronulla. We'll see how he goes here.

But we are kidding if we don't find another decent half to help Pearce out.

We seem to like having a lot of blokes good at no particular position, playing in very important positions.
Yep Fitzy is fine as one option but the problem is Fitzy is miles ahead of any other edge backrower at the club.

It's a contradiction if we play Connor off the bench with Brailey in the team.
The talk was that we needed an 80 min hooker. I assume that was in part so we can play 4 fwds off the bench.
We won't be looking for a 6 next year. I reckon 6 is Watson's best chance unless Lino is consistent.

Yosh

Coach
Am I the only one who rates Watson?

His passing has improved a ton. He should have had an assist for Ponga today sure. At least he got a good pass off to him. Last year, his pass would have gone to ground. Lol.

I wanna see Watson play 6 or 14 next year.

Maybe have Hoy or Crossland start the season at 14 and come on for Brailey, Watson from six to hooker and the young lad to play halves with less pressure. What you think?

Loose Cannon

Bench
Am I the only one who rates Watson?
Not at all. Rate him highly.

Needs some work but best spot is 6, given we are struggling there.

Toohey on twitter responded to question as much, given Brailey coming. But Levi (and Griffin) offered the same option since he got here.

Agree, chance at 9, but Brown can’t decide on a hooker any less than he would on a Bangkok street corner.

He has played maybe 8 games with Pearce in the halves in 2 years. Work on his ball skills like a real coach would do.

aqua_duck

Coach
Not at all. Rate him highly.

Needs some work but best spot is 6, given we are struggling there.

Toohey on twitter responded to question as much, given Brailey coming. But Levi (and Griffin) offered the same option since he got here.

Agree, chance at 9, but Brown can’t decide on a hooker any less than he would on a Bangkok street corner.

He has played maybe 8 games with Pearce in the halves in 2 years. Work on his ball skills like a real coach would do.
i think its abit of an indictment on the coaching staff that you have someone in Watson who's a great ball runner but they haven't been able to develop his passing and kicking at all

Swarzey

Bench
Watson has been f**king brilliant the last month and if it wasn't for Klemmer carrying our forward pack, he'd be our best player in a very dire period. He still has his odd mistake or two but that shouldn't dismiss how good he's been. He's a 14 IMO, coming out of dummy half he's so lethal against tired defence. God knows how good he could be as a 9 if he always played the position.

Old dog

Juniors
Our two biggest problems are 6 & 9 which we can’t settle on with many tried. Brailey coming might solve the problem of 9 and possibly Watson could do the job at 6. Watson goes hard for full game which is admired by many and makes him a popular pick due to effort. He needs to make improvements in his game to be a top notch 5/8 but if we don’t buy one then the job might be his. Backup could come from Crossland. We could also see some development from our younger players such as Hoy, Fermor, Best and Huth which would save buying players to just play reserves thus saving Cap money for quality players needed for 5/8 and 2nd row.

Yosh

Coach
I admit I have only seen highlights of the Sharks but the delivery out of dummy half seemed really smooth. 20 metres bullet passes off the ground onto the chest of their halves. We haven't had that in ages.

macavity

Referee
Brailey is a gun.

Watson is our best option at 6 for next year, but we need one of Brailey and Ponga to be a decent kicking option.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Watson is our best option at 6
and we will get more of the same in 2020. Not a 5/8. No passing game no kicking game no organizational skills.

Browns selection of Lino and Mann at 5/8 pretty much confirms this.

If we have Watson at 5/8 and Pearce is not at the top of his game every game we are doomed.

macavity

Referee
and we will get more of the same in 2020. Not a 5/8. No passing game no kicking game no organizational skills.

Browns selection of Lino and Mann at 5/8 pretty much confirms this.

If we have Watson at 5/8 and Pearce is not at the top of his game every game we are doomed.

Out of those 3, Watson is the best by far.

All well and good to talk about organisation, but if you are slow, unskilled and a speed bump all the game plans in your head aren't doing much good.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Problem with giving Watson the 6 jersey is he doesn’t provide a good kicking or passing option which we would get from Lino.

I wonder if Watson could be given some sort of roving role off the bench next year. Maybe bring him on after 25 mins in place of a lock or back rower and just tell him to sniff around the ruck for an offload and take a run from dummy half every now and then and can sub in at hooker if Brailey needs a break.

Watson is at his best when he’s let loose around the ruck running onto an offload or when the defensive line is in two minds and a little gap opens up or late in the game against fatigued forwards. Ultimately he’s a victim of his versatility really, he’s just an instinctive footballer who plays what’s in front of him, doesn’t always get it right but he’s a valuable player to have and I think he needs to be in the 17 each week.

Yosh

Coach
I reckon Watson just needs a better coach. Needs someone who can get the best out of him in a great system.

Old dog

Juniors
Watson needs to develop his game no matter what position he plays but especially if he plays 6. It is up to him to seek help/coaching to improve his over all performance. He is good, puts in big efforts but effort doesn’t necessarily override ability, he’s a 14, then a 9, then a 1 then a 6, he is very handy to have on the books

Knight Vision

First Grade
Problem with giving Watson the 6 jersey is he doesn’t provide a good kicking or passing option which we would get from Lino.
Problem is both Lino and Watson wont see us with a premiership or even a top 4 position.. Watson is a utility and Lino is a reserve grade half capable of the odd good game.

In their defense none have been given a decent crack to prove their worth in ever shifting team selections. A season wasted to see what these lads had to offer.

aqua_duck

Coach
One can only hope that either Crossland or Hoy can develop in the next 6-12 months but given our recent history of junior development I won't be holding my breath