What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 team

Knight Vision

First Grade
One can only hope that either Crossland or Hoy can develop in the next 6-12 months but given our recent history of junior development I won't be holding my breath
Crossland may have some promise. He's a junior rep and the couple of game highlights I watched he looked classy. Does look a bit small though and may need to pack on some weight in the off season.

macavity

Referee
Crossland may have some promise. He's a junior rep and the couple of game highlights I watched he looked classy. Does look a bit small though and may need to pack on some weight in the off season.

He is a big half mate. 6ft and nearly 90kgs. Get him to 95 and he is almost backrower size. He will be fine.

aqua_duck

Coach
wow he's a decent size then. I guess next to the behemoths playing these days normal sized people look small.
images

This is from nsw under 18s last year, he's standing next to Bradman Best who's a big guy and Crossland doesn't look a whole lot smaller

slotmachine

First Grade
No other playmakers as the coach went out and paid 500k for a running 5/8 that is now a hooker/bench utility.

Our 5/8ths now are either wildly inconsistent or the bloke who was meant to be our hooker.

Yosh

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/06/non-negotiables-behind-manlys-rise-and-newcastles-fall/

"They don't have a creative dummy half or another senior playmaker to take pressure off Pearce and even Ponga for all his brilliance isn't really an organising fullback at this stage of his career."

I think that sums it up perfectly. We have the talent in the squad we just need everyone to do the basics. Push up off the line, etc.

The article mentions we had really good go forward during the weeks we won. It's gone now but I think some of that is down to Brown’s weird bench selection and rotation policy. The prop rotation is terrible.

Start with Klemmer and DSaifiti.
25 minutes in: Dan and Jacob swap.
30 minutes in: Klemmer for Ese'ese
50 min mark: Klemmer for JSaifiti
60 min mark: Ese'ese for DSaifiti

Isn't something simple like this better than whatever Brown has been doing?

Knight Vision

First Grade
No other playmakers as the coach went out and paid 500k for a running 5/8 that is now a hooker/bench utility.

Our 5/8ths now are either wildly inconsistent or the bloke who was meant to be our hooker.
so now we have 2 jack of all trades and masters of none to fill our critical 5/8 role.

Let us all pray to each owns sky daddy whoever he may be that Crossland is a gun. If not we can expect more of the same next year.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I think that sums it up perfectly. We have the talent in the squad we just need everyone to do the basics. Push up off the line, etc.

The article mentions we had really good go forward during the weeks we won. It's gone now but I think some of that is down to Brown’s weird bench selection and rotation policy. The prop rotation is terrible.

Start with Klemmer and DSaifiti.
25 minutes in: Dan and Jacob swap.
30 minutes in: Klemmer for Ese'ese
50 min mark: Klemmer for JSaifiti
60 min mark: Ese'ese for DSaifiti

Isn't something simple like this better than whatever Brown has been doing?
the issue can be summed up in one word - ATTITUDE

Early minutes of the second half against Many you could see the drop off in intensity. Hanging back waiting for the attacking player to come to them - rather than driving forward and smashing the shit out of the bastard

aqua_duck

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/06/non-negotiables-behind-manlys-rise-and-newcastles-fall/

"They don't have a creative dummy half or another senior playmaker to take pressure off Pearce and even Ponga for all his brilliance isn't really an organising fullback at this stage of his career."
Whilst that's true Manly aren't in too dissimilar a situation, Koroisau and Fainu are good dummy halves but are primarily runners out of the Isaac Luke mould rather than your Cam Smith/Farah style playmaking dummy half, they've had 4 different 5/8ths now and Walker is a ball runner not a playmaker. Sure Ponga isn't an organising fullback but neither is Turbo. The difference for me between us and Manly are three fold, firstly DCE is just a better natural playmaker than Pearce, I think Pearce is a good competitor and probably has slightly better intangibles DCE controls the game better and has a better all round kicking game, secondly their a better coached side in terms of cohesion, game plan and mental toughness, our attack I feel is very rudimentary and relies too much on individuals doing their thing rather than an all round multi faceted attack, lastly Hasler has done a better job at getting the best out of the players. They kind of have more of a Melbourne Storm style squad structure in terms of quite a few top notch players and a few 'no names' with not that many middle of the road guys, we on the other hand seem to have 2 great players, 3 good players, 7-8 'decent' players and the best range from average to rookies/no names. Manly have 4-5 great players, 1-2 good players, 4-5 decent players and the rest rookies/no names. I personally think their philosophy is a better philosophy if you have the right coach and scouts to either improve those rookies/no names or have a defined enough role for them that doesn't expose their limitations.

macavity

Referee
Whilst that's true Manly aren't in too dissimilar a situation, Koroisau and Fainu are good dummy halves but are primarily runners out of the Isaac Luke mould rather than your Cam Smith/Farah style playmaking dummy half, they've had 4 different 5/8ths now and Walker is a ball runner not a playmaker. Sure Ponga isn't an organising fullback but neither is Turbo. The difference for me between us and Manly are three fold, firstly DCE is just a better natural playmaker than Pearce, I think Pearce is a good competitor and probably has slightly better intangibles DCE controls the game better and has a better all round kicking game, secondly their a better coached side in terms of cohesion, game plan and mental toughness, our attack I feel is very rudimentary and relies too much on individuals doing their thing rather than an all round multi faceted attack, lastly Hasler has done a better job at getting the best out of the players. They kind of have more of a Melbourne Storm style squad structure in terms of quite a few top notch players and a few 'no names' with not that many middle of the road guys, we on the other hand seem to have 2 great players, 3 good players, 7-8 'decent' players and the best range from average to rookies/no names. Manly have 4-5 great players, 1-2 good players, 4-5 decent players and the rest rookies/no names. I personally think their philosophy is a better philosophy if you have the right coach and scouts to either improve those rookies/no names or have a defined enough role for them that doesn't expose their limitations.

Their approach works if you have the likes of DCE and the Turbo brothers come through at the same time.

We certainly don't.

With Klem and Ponga being top tier, we need another 1-2 top tier players to come through.

We have some that look like they will grade out decent to good, but none remotely great.

Other than the Roosters, pretty much all the top teams bring their best players through their system. We haven't brought through a top player through since... what, Kurt Gidley? Does he even count?

aqua_duck

Coach
Their approach works if you have the likes of DCE and the Turbo brothers come through at the same time.

We certainly don't.

With Klem and Ponga being top tier, we need another 1-2 top tier players to come through.

We have some that look like they will grade out decent to good, but none remotely great.

Other than the Roosters, pretty much all the top teams bring their best players through their system. We haven't brought through a top player through since... what, Kurt Gidley? Does he even count?
I think it's a massive indictment on our junior development that we've been so bare in good junior talent coming through, I guess my point was more around us signing guys like Mann, Gavet, Buhrer, Moga, Guerra, etc when I believe we'd be better off signing another top line player along with 4 rookies instead of 5 mediocre players.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Let us all pray to each owns sky daddy whoever he may be that Crossland is a gun.
I remember guys on the forum a few years ago talking up Lamb and Cogger as future halves, they didn’t really turn out so good. Hopefully the next batch get a smoother introduction to 1st grade and come along better.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I think it's a massive indictment on our junior development that we've been so bare in good junior talent coming through, I guess my point was more around us signing guys like Mann, Gavet, Buhrer, Moga, Guerra, etc when I believe we'd be better off signing another top line player along with 4 rookies instead of 5 mediocre players.

This. Mediocrity breeds mediocrity.

aqua_duck

Coach
Calling Guerra mediocre is very harsh.

In fact most of the blokes looked like being good signings at first. Moga in particular was going great at Brisbane in 2017.
I'm not saying that the recruitment hasn't been good, all I'm suggesting is perhaps moving forward we'd be better served to allocate say 40% of the cap on the top 4-5 players and have more rookies/no name cheapies in the hope that (a) our scouting is good and (b) those no names/rookies can improve by playing alongside elite players. Whichever way we go it's quite clear that the level of coaching needs to improve in terms of instilling mental toughness, team cohesion and just overall gameplan.

macavity

Referee
I'm not saying that the recruitment hasn't been good, all I'm suggesting is perhaps moving forward we'd be better served to allocate say 40% of the cap on the top 4-5 players and have more rookies/no name cheapies in the hope that (a) our scouting is good and (b) those no names/rookies can improve by playing alongside elite players. Whichever way we go it's quite clear that the level of coaching needs to improve in terms of instilling mental toughness, team cohesion and just overall gameplan.

We have always lived and died on the quality of our junior development.