What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Game 3: State of Origin Wed 14/7

Read 3 different journos ratings (hooper, Mole, DT) all have Moses as worst on field for not doing anything in attack or not being as good as Cleary.

do they forget Cleary took 8 games to get his first try assist for NSW? Or that he’s on 10 games now for 2.

Moses has as many try assists for NSW in 1 game as Cleary does in 10!!

just shows the complete anti-Moses rhetoric by the media.

They want a scapegoat. They weren’t as scathing on Cleary last year when he supposedly lost the series against the worst Qld team ever.

Moses has as many try assists for NSW in 1 game as Cleary does in 10!!

Is that true? I am always confused about what constitutes a try assist (some players like Sam Walker seem to just need to look at the ball to be awarded a try assist) but if it is the last person to pass the ball to the try scorer or the last person to kick the ball then Cleary should have way more than two. Off the top of my head I can remember at least 5 in his last four games and their are probably more given the tries NSW have scored over that period. Remember he was Blues man of the series last time around and was going alright earlier in this series when NSW was flogging QLD.

Your broader point still remains though; it took Cleary two series to fully get his feet under the desk. The point I would make on the back of that is it is now 4 series later and Cleary is dominating (and that similarly with time Moses might also look more comfortable) rather than trying to build up Moses by pulling Cleary down.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Moses was good, he’s not Cleary but we already knew that.

2 try assists, good kicking game and great in defence.

James hooper in his ratings gave Moses the lowest of every nsw player, worst on ground at 5/10. What a flop.
He gave Teddy an 8 and Cook 7.5, shows he has absolutely no idea on the game of RL. Yet Fox shove the bald muppet down our throats on a nightly basis.

Moses was solid, he held up his end defensively and his kicking game was quite good. He needed to get involved in the attacking zone more but that was made much tougher when the ball was going the other way for a lot of the match.

Teddy was a handbrake all f**king night and Cook was poor we looked a lot more dangerous when Api came on. Haas was great but was absolutely gassed and let in two tries after he let in the first one he should of been replaced but Freddy waited for him to let in a second one. Freddy is still a clueless muppet.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I thought Mitch did alright, he didn't really get into the game until the 55th-60th minute but that's to be expected from a debutant and it also doesn't help that Cook has a fetish for overfeeding the left side.

Of course he will be the scapegoat but the more experienced NSW players were very poor last night. Trbojevic mostly stuck to his right side, never really went looking for the ball. Latrell was fascinated with trying to start a fight with Gagai. Teddy got in the way and when he needed to take a tackle he spun around in circles. And this game confirms to me players don't watch NRL matches. There was almost 0 chase on Mitchell's high bombs, they could've put some real pressure on QLD's back three but either chose not to or just didn't know. The one time they put pressure on resulted in a drop out.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I get the general Moses hate, but peeps are letting it get in the way of their Judgement, got f**k all ball, but shut down Ponga three or four times in D in our 20 in the first half with some good reads. Overall he gets a pass for a debutante.

Second half he started to get some ball and was solid, not great, but not outta place either. The penalty at the end looked a pre-meditated milk by Moses as well, which whilst not pretty gave us a chance for six on their line, f**k knows why we kicked for goal. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

NSW lost because merkins were too busy trying to solve problems that didn't f**king exist on their own. James "Gallen" Tedesco being the greatest example of that. But hey, he did the same in game 2 and got MOM for it, so what the f**k would I know.

What I do know is that running around in f**king circles and then dying with the ball, or worse still working out there's nothing going and passing it to some other merkin to get smashed 'cause he's in a worse position isn't going to win you many footy games.

eel01s

Bench
I thought Moses did well considering the amount of ball he got. 1st half nobody passed it to him except to kick.

Great defensive effort. Did he pick up an injury towards the end?

Tedesco should lose the captaincy after allowing that last shot at goal.

We were beaten in the forwards, but I guess that is what happens when you decline to pick the best front rowers like RCG.

Gronk

Staff member
Well then that’s their failure. He can provide an elite kicking game and try assists so the fact they didn’t give him enough ball is on them. He even threw in a very good defensive game for them.
Same. There was definitely a game plan to play it through the middle via the hooker. Even when it was shifted to Moses, he would turn it inside to Yeo etc.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Also on Moses, what plenty are forgetting is how hard it is to dominate in Origin especially in your debut game.

Like Daley mentions on BSB, Moses didn’t dominate as expected…plenty of journalists are saying Moses didn’t dominate…

FFS when was the last time a spine player especially a half dominated on debut?

Moses was the rookie in the spine and just needed to make his tackles/kick well, which he did…….

Teddy/Cook/Wrighton with over 30 origin games of experience were the ones that failed to dominate…..

yy_cheng

Coach
I get the general Moses hate, but peeps are letting it get in the way of their Judgement, got f**k all ball, but shut down Ponga three or four times in D in our 20 in the first half with some good reads. Overall he gets a pass for a debutante.

Second half he started to get some ball and was solid, not great, but not outta place either. The penalty at the end looked a pre-meditated milk by Moses as well, which whilst not pretty gave us a chance for six on their line, f**k knows why we kicked for goal. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

NSW lost because merkins were too busy trying to solve problems that didn't f**king exist on their own. James "Gallen" Tedesco being the greatest example of that. But hey, he did the same in game 2 and got MOM for it, so what the f**k would I know.

What I do know is that running around in f**king circles and then dying with the ball, or worse still working out there's nothing going and passing it to some other merkin to get smashed 'cause he's in a worse position isn't going to win you many footy games.
He talked copuluswell a few times too.

The only thing about Moses is that he doesn't show desperation like too or gutho. In the second try, he is ambering back. If he chased, it could've made some difference

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

The only thing about Moses is that he doesn't show desperation like too or gutho. In the second try, he is ambering back. If he chased, it could've made some difference

It looked like his calf/leg injury stopped him from chasing, he was limping …

strider

Post Whore

was that Fidow's try? .... I was wondering where moses was cos it was his side of the field - turns out he had been in the previous tackle and was getting up from that - so I don't think he was to be expected to be a chance of being involved

but yeah i saw him limping ..... I have a feeling Mitch's calf isn't going to last the season

hindy111

Post Whore
was that Fidow's try? .... I was wondering where moses was cos it was his side of the field - turns out he had been in the previous tackle and was getting up from that - so I don't think he was to be expected to be a chance of being involved

but yeah i saw him limping ..... I have a feeling Mitch's calf isn't going to last the season

Play him against game we should win. And rest in games we prob going to lose.

hindy111

Post Whore
I watched the first half. Unsure if I mentioned but I had to be up at 4.30 for work. And I need sleep. I work very very hard.

First half I thought Teddy was great. A constant menace. Wighton hogged the ball and 2-3 times his kicks where to deep or rubbish in general.
Moses had all the long kicks and one kick in an attacking position that was pinpoint.

Cleary and Luai owned the NSW team. Wighton isn't a natural 5/8 at that level. Gets away with it in club footy.

oneguy

Juniors
I was nervous for Mitch, really hoping he excelled, especially as there was some doubt on his selection (vs Reynolds). Agree he didn't get the ball much for majority of the game. Cook at dummy half looked at him, then passed the other way quite often (which really frustrated me). Wighton seemed to get more ball than Mitch.

I get the comments from people here that it's not his fault if they don't pass the ball, but I do think it's still on him, as the Half, to command/demand the ball even as a debutant. You get teenagers like Sam Walker running the show for the Roosters, and Moses needs to be as commanding and receiving the ball about 3 tackles per set, not just on the last tackle for the kick (and not counting the touches from dummy half when NSW were rucking it out).

The first couple of times he actually got the ball, he got smashed before getting the pass away. The second time nearly resulting in a QLD try. Welcome to Origin! But that probably didn't give Cook the confidence to pass him the ball? The other times he got the ball, he ran across and 'drop passed' the ball back onto the inside runner (which to me is ok as a variation, but shouldn't be your go-to move). His try assist, I assume was for the kick for Api's try. Which was OK, but was more fortune than skill in my opinion. There were a couple of good long passes though, so he did seem to get into it, which seemed to co-incide with Api coming on, and actually passing to Moses; but for mine, Mitch fell short of what was required if his role was to organise the Blues attack.

Where Mitch excelled was in defence and with his kicking. Good solid hits, and busy workrate there. Excellent. Some reports suggested he gave away a couple of offside penalties, but not sure. I was suprised he didn't get the goal kicking. His confidence seems to improve if he gets the first couple of goals in.

A solid debut, but I had hoped he would have done better than he did (in attack). He didn't do too much wrong, but really, he didn't do too much.

King-Gutho94

Coach
What about everyone whinging that cody walker didnt play. The bloke is just as big a fraud as anyone. He had his chance the last 2 years and went MIA both times.

Should never play for NSW again

Delboy

First Grade
It’s hard to look anywhere near dominant when the 9 only passes to his left, let’s face it Wighton was far worse than Mitch and somehow gets praised. Cook was very ordinary, when Api came on ,the attack opened up to both sides as a result.

Tedesco was an absolute flog, by coming 8nto the line and hogging the ball in almost every set ensured the centres were left posted for possession, and then his crazy sideways running for a gap and then passing as a last resort when the defence had moved up gets no comment from the Roosters friendly media.

overall was a poor performance, but the media narrative was set well before the game, blame Moses and that was there for all to see in the so called ratings. Wighton, Cook and others above Mitch, the fix was in well before the game finished as far as players ratings etc.

We are supposed to regards Hooper, Rothfield and others as fair and unbiased, yeah right.