1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Discussion in 'NRL' started by LeagueUnlimited News, Aug 6, 2020.

1. MugaB

MugaB Bench

Im not a canberra fan, so my opinion on why they need a colour change isn't valid from their own business point of view, but why navy and why silver?
    Lime is unique, and sets this club apart from the navy/blue rabble of the rest of the league, unfortunately this just says to me we just want to be the same, or are they hoping the new designs remind fans of the area of the brumbies? is it a throwback to the Queanbeyan Blues, ...not sure, but i look at this new combo of colors and know they have horribly failed, and are going to be close to ruining their identity as the broncos seem to do everytime they short change on the gold, or wests without the orange, they need to lean into what makes them unique, like how the storm have with purple, or how recently penrith and pink

toomuchsoup and Tiger5150 like this.
  2. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita First Grade

I agree.

The jersey isn't the only club merchandise you can purchase to wear around casually. I don't wear my dragons jerseys around town - but I have other polos, jackets etc I do.

Canberra have possibly had the most distinct jerseys in the comp with the predominant lime green number. While I don't mind the new jersey design this year on it's own - indeed it seems to angle towards "conformity". I hate conformity in this sense.... jerseys....

Simple, unique, well-integrated jerseys are the best by me. Indeed the new 2021 "new" Raiders ones are simple, unique, and sponsors are integrated "ok enough"...

But the left is a different green (yes I know they've changed shades over the years), the right is far more full of conformity. All the comp needs is another blue team in a sea of blue teams.

But look at that absolute banger in the middle!!

[​IMG] .

I don't mind teams giving things a go with their designs. But the jersey shouldn't ever be designed to cater for wearing casually IMO (even though Souths fans do it all the time).

3. roofromoz

roofromoz First Grade

4. MugaB

MugaB Bench

Another thing that also burns me with sponsor intergration and jerseys these days are the shoulder sponsor covering the stripes that define the jersey, if im a club or a sponsor i want as many billboards (fans) i can get my hands on, not just TV veiwers, people walking the streets in the clubs attire, now if you want me to pay $160 on a billboard jersey or a $70 polo, its gotta show the right colors, look great, and not impead the design, not if they can help it.. i look at parramattas 2020 home jersey and the stripes on the sleeves firstly dont go all the way round, the sponsor is just slapped ontop of the strips, effectively killing the look of what made the jersey special, and the identity of the 4 gold and blue stripes that they are famous for. If im a pawwa fan i buy it coz it looks close to the 80s premiership jerseys, but for $160, its not worth it, when the designers and clubs are agreeing on making merchandise unwearable aswell as expensive, there needs to some sort of policing by the ARLC to atleast make these jerseys both affordable and not look trash and still service the sponsors, it would sell way more merchandise, and promote the game overall

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    toomuchsoup and axl rose like this.
  5. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita First Grade

Agreed agreed agreed.

The Stripes on the Raiders Classic is their party piece. They've got Big red Square sleeve sponsors but fro what I've seen they've at least put them above (not over) the yellow, white, blue piping.

Sadly the Newtown Jets white sleeve hoops - a signature of their jersey - have had sponsors slapped over them for a while now - and again this year.

axl rose and MugaB like this.
  6. MugaB

MugaB Bench

Newtown jets = Dumb
    Parramatta Eels = Dumbest

7. toomuchsoup

toomuchsoup Juniors

Overall a pretty good year for jerseys. Hopefully Canberra come to their senses and make the heritage their main

8. toomuchsoup

toomuchsoup Juniors

The gel grips or whatever they’re called look rubbish on the knights jersey. Also the blue blocks on the shoulders would look better red

9. kdalymc

kdalymc Bench

your drunk bro? u missed 2020?
    this year is down hillllll.

and yep, canberra f**ked up. and theyve realised it before round one......

10. toomuchsoup

toomuchsoup Juniors

11. Saint Doc

Saint Doc Coach

Home jerseys

Better
    Titans
    Warriors
    Manly (shorts)

Worse
    Raiders (but, heritage)
    Tigers

Others
    Steady/equal

12. GAZF

GAZF First Grade

They still have a predominantly lime jersey when all angles are considered. Historically, Melbourne's use of purple and Penrith's use of pink has been even more limited than Canberra's use of green in 2021 (other than a few patches here and there for Melbourne). Saying that a club has horribly failed and has ruined their identity on this basis is hyperbole.

The previous logo set was made to match the 2000-2002 jersey, whose colours were vilified. Then the club shifted back to its classic design and for the next 20 years, there were 3 greens, white, blue, yellow, black and silver on any given jersey. The whole identity became a mess within 3 years of adopting the logo and should have been addressed way before now. Navy and silver were logical choices, as white/royal/blue/gold would look silly with the logo design as it is, and other dark colours would drift away from the core identity. Its true that plenty of other teams use navy in their identity, but there's also solid practical and marketable reasoning for doing so.

I actually went to rebel this morning and bought a heritage jersey because I have great memories of that period of football as a kid. A lot of the arguments against the change in the home/away stem from a nostalgic point of view, rather than one based on a design's merits or its practicality. The 2021 Eels jerseys have been judged in this thread as being too plain (away) and/or featuring an unnecessary sponsor box (all of them) - guess which overwhelmingly popular jersey does both of these things...

Let's just give the home/away design a season or two. It isn't objectively horrible by any means, just different to expectation.

The Great Dane and Heisenberg like this.
  13. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

There's also this weird thing going on in here where, for some reason, everybody thinks that any change made to the branding or marketing of a club is bad or negatively effects the clubs core identity.

That is simply a misunderstanding of how branding works, and furthermore a stagnate brand is just as bad, if not worse on occasion, then making poor changes to a brand.

hrundi99 likes this.
  14. DIEHARDTITAN

DIEHARDTITAN Juniors

The new Raiders jerseys look terrible. It's so lame to see NRL clubs still ripping off the NFL.

15. some11

some11 Coach

16. Timmah

Timmah LeagueUnlimited News Editor Staff Member

Indigenous for the three dynasty clubs
    289E7CCF-5C88-4C6B-A400-01CB85282D4D.jpeg

17. GAZF

GAZF First Grade

Titans are killing it this year.

jargan83, Saint Doc, steeden. and 2 others like this.
  18. Jackson Allison

Jackson Allison Juniors

19. Reflector

Reflector Juniors

Definitely. Slapping sponsorships on with little thought for the design element makes the game look unprofessional. Brand integration should be key to any organisation that wants that professional look.

20. GAZF

GAZF First Grade

Sponsors also seem to be gradually shifting higher on the shoulder where the jersey hardly bunches up. This means that sleeve stripes are being pushed further down the sleeve where they are less visible. Stripes over the shoulder may become more commonplace in the future as a result, like the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts.

axl rose likes this.