What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Judiciary Charges

How many weeks for Mitchell

Votes: 1 3.3%

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 4+

Votes: 27 90.0%

• Total voters
Never ever heard it said that a shoulder charge is only a shoulder charge if it is forceful enough lol, they just make sht up as they go.
this is from the leagues ‘rules and Interprations’ psf in 2020. Agree this hasn’t always been the way it has been applied by the MRC.

A shoulder charge is made when the tackling player uses his shoulder and/or upper arm without,
at the same time, using his arms to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player. The term “arms” obviously includes hands. The requirement to use “the arms” means that both arms must be used. Unless both arms are used, then providing the actions of the player are at least careless,
any case involving forceful contact that has been primarily generated by the shoulder and/or upper arm of the tackling player, will be a shoulder charge.
It will be considered misconduct, if any player effects a tackle in the manner as defined.

No point in charging Cleary. His dad's a lawyer.

Even though I don't like him, I think James Hooper nailed it in this column regarding Ivan as a lawyer (source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7f91cee7a7028590cdefdb6eca472a74) -

It ended up being more Dennis Denuto than Denny Crane when Panthers coach Ivan Cleary decided to don the Law And Order wig and represent Api Korisau at the NRL judiciary on Tuesday night.

The ambitious Hail Mary play by the Panthers was even more amusing given gun legal eagle Nick Ghabar had told last year’s grand finalists they were on a hiding to nothing trying to defend the case.

Sure Phil Gould got Greg Alexander off all those years ago but it was a very different NRL judiciary system back in the day and Gus has always carried enormous clout in the game.

Cleary should stick to doing what he does best - NRL coaching.

mxlegend99

Referee
worse than matterson. matterson was going for a chest tackle and the bloke fell, this is a straight out shoulder with intent to hurt
Intent to hurt? 🤣🤣

Well if Cleary was trying to hurt him it was definitely worse than Matterson. Hitting the ball / chest without throwing his weight in the tackle is not a very good way to hurt someone.

Matterson without trying did a hundred times better job.

The only reason Cleary isn't suspended is because he's not a 100kg prop forward, if a much bigger bloke did that it'd be straight to the judiciary

I agree with that; the smaller players in the skill positions do get away with more; an element of that is intuitive (smaller players less likely to hurt opponents) but it does lead to double standards.

My biggest issue with the double standards though is that often the punishments are determined by things outside the offenders control. Take Cleary’s tackle; I agree with the MRC’s view that it wasn’t forceful contact from the shoulder or careless. However, if Bird slips a few metres out from Cleary and therefore Cleary collects Bird in the head, then the hole analysis of the incident from the MRC changes. We have seen a number of occasions this year where a stumbling player gets collected, injured and then this causes a suspension, while similar tackles where the attacking player is not injured are let go. This focus on outcomes from the MRC is just another example of how the league is so reactive.