What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Membership

wazdog

Juniors
Memberships are just a dick measuring contest anyway. It was the NRL's way of letting souffs feel relevant pre 2014.

If they want a true indicator of what the memberships are then it should be revenue from memberships. A body count is bullshit when a single ticket or supporter pack member is counted as 1 along with someone holding a full season ticketed membership.

Average membership revenue per member for the Rabbitohs in 2020 was $123 ($3.7m in total) down from $133 in 2019 ($4.0m in total).

Be interested to see how all the other clubs top this based on their financial reports. Eels, Storm and Broncos would be up there for sure.

soc123_au

Staff member
Average membership revenue per member for the Rabbitohs in 2020 was $123 ($3.7m in total) down from $133 in 2019 ($4.0m in total).

Be interested to see how all the other clubs top this based on their financial reports. Eels, Storm and Broncos would be up there for sure.

Rabbitohs GA memberships are $257.00 this year. 3-5 ticket memberships cost more than $123.00. Given there are much higher dollar value memberships, reserved seating, diamond, burrow etc, it's probably a generous estimate that out of 28000 members last year only 8000 were actually ticketed. The rest are just bullshit packages. I know the bullshit packages are still revenue & thats great, but the aim should be revenue on the charts not body counts. The artificial numbers that are used now are just a wank. Who really gives a f**k how many souths cares memberships were given to kids who actually support other teams.

This isn't just directed at Souths either, all clubs now do it to some extent. I just used Souths as an example because "Pride of the League" and all the carry on from toothless morons about member numbers.

I know Penrith used to only report on ticketed members & we struggled to crack 8 thousand. Then they changed the formula, and boom up to 23k in 2018. Our ground capacity is 20k. lol. I would bet my balls the revenue didn't increase by a similar amount. It's dumb & I really dont get how it's taken seriously.

Rabbitohs GA memberships are $257.00 this year. 3-5 ticket memberships cost more than $123.00. Given there are much higher dollar value memberships, reserved seating, diamond, burrow etc, it's probably a generous estimate that out of 28000 members last year only 8000 were actually ticketed. The rest are just bullshit packages. I know the bullshit packages are still revenue & thats great, but the aim should be revenue on the charts not body counts. The artificial numbers that are used now are just a wank. Who really gives a f**k how many souths cares memberships were given to kids who actually support other teams.

This isn't just directed at Souths either, all clubs now do it to some extent. I just used Souths as an example because "Pride of the League" and all the carry on from toothless morons about member numbers.

I know Penrith used to only report on ticketed members & we struggled to crack 8 thousand. Then they changed the formula, and boom up to 23k in 2018. Our ground capacity is 20k. lol. I would bet my balls the revenue didn't increase by a similar amount. It's dumb & I really dont get how it's taken seriously.
I guess it had a lot to do with what the AFL were calling a member & we followed suit . Their fridge magnet & bumper sticker members being included were making our numbers look very small so we as a code decided to do the same.
But true , the only accurate gauge to determine support in the community is revenue from memberships.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Memberships are just a dick measuring contest anyway. It was the NRL's way of letting souffs feel relevant pre 2014.

If they want a true indicator of what the memberships are then it should be revenue from memberships. A body count is bullshit when a single ticket or supporter pack member is counted as 1 along with someone holding a full season ticketed membership.
Yeah membership counts are a waste of time unless you have the average contribution per member as part of it. Too many 1 game memberships and kids given membership status for playing junior footy etc for the figures to have any relevance.

Valheru

Coach

Not to mention other things like stadium memberships which are significant at places like SFS, ANZ etc.

wazdog

Juniors
Is any of the above backed up by actual data or has this been verified through sources that wouldn’t look out of place in the comments section of a Facebook post?

Last edited:

Pistol_Pete

Juniors

still, covid wouldn’t have been as harsh on souffs fans as they didn’t have jobs to lose to begin with.

soc123_au

Staff member
Is any of the above backed up by actual data or has this been verified through sources that wouldn’t look out of place in the comments section of a Facebook post?
Which part are you referring to?

Valheru

Coach

Stadium memberships are absolutely a thing.

SCG has ~18k members across varying levels. I'm not saying the roosters rocket to the top without them or anything like that but it isn't unreasonable IMO to assume 1 or 2k would be chooks members otherwise.

gallagher

Juniors

Ah, that makes sense. When Pascoe went to Wests we went from about 10k to over 23k but no change in crowd sizes. A different way to count members made him look like a genius.

sempmrh

Juniors

The thing about those 'bullshit packages' and reduced access or non-ticketed memberships is that it gets people in the database. The goal would be to convert those members to higher membership categories the following year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldnt say non ticketed memberships at $75 a pop are bs if you can get 20k sold of them. Especially as they give you a very strong sales database to sell other things to. Souths have got off the pokie teat by selling memberships and merchandise. Some clubs are still $2-5million a year reliant on the misery of pokies.

Quicksilver

Bench
Meh.

I doubt you can win a decent jackpot from a minor club membership. A couple of bits of cheap merch and some streamers.

I’d rather try my luck on the Queen if the Nile.

Stadium memberships are absolutely a thing.

SCG has ~18k members across varying levels. I'm not saying the roosters rocket to the top without them or anything like that but it isn't unreasonable IMO to assume 1 or 2k would be chooks members otherwise.
so you pay . or have paid for your SCG stadium membership .. then pay a nominal fee to also be included as a chooks member too ?
to get your merch etc

soc123_au

Staff member
The thing about those 'bullshit packages' and reduced access or non-ticketed memberships is that it gets people in the database. The goal would be to convert those members to higher membership categories the following year.
When I said "bullshit packages" I meant bullshit as far as member numbers are concerned. They have a valid purpose, from getting some revenue to a level of engagement. Using them as "member numbers" is just dick measuring though. Count them when they are actually converted.

soc123_au

Staff member
I wouldnt say non ticketed memberships at $75 a pop are bs if you can get 20k sold of them. Especially as they give you a very strong sales database to sell other things to. Souths have got off the pokie teat by selling memberships and merchandise. Some clubs are still $2-5million a year reliant on the misery of pokies.

Sell 1k or 100k of them & it's a plus for the club. They still aren't like for like with a ticketed member though. For someone who bangs on incessantly about crowd numbers I figured you would be one who could tell the difference. It's equivalent to a game being shown on the display TV's at Harvey Norman & then counting everyone who walks in the joint in the TV ratings.

As for pokies revenue is revenue. As long as they remain legal it's a viable source of income. I hate the things personally, I've been affected by the damage a compulsive gambler can cause & in both cases the addicts poison was pokies, but it's still legal. If the clubs take the moral high ground then the publicans will pick up the slack. They aren't disappearing from the community so I would rather an organisation like a leagues club or RSL makes the money & uses it to benefit sporting clubs & the general community than buying a publican another lambo.