What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 QF 2 Sat - Penrith 10-16 South Sydney @ QCBS

Finals Week 1: Penrith v South Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If you are Penrith you must still be confident of winning. Meeting storm in PF is no different to GF especially given it won't be in Melbourne.

However, Ivan probably came up with the worst performance by a coach we have seen in a long time. From the start of the week to the presser. He sounds like he believes they are no hope now.
Ivan looked like he’d Ben run over by a bus in the presser, the Smug bus.

Billythekid

First Grade
Yep

I also think it’s like the 2014series

the winner is going to come from the storm/panthers side and the real GF a week early

Penrith are still $4 second favourite

As they should be. I think the semi final will be an absolute cracker and that team will absolutely win the following week (and potentially by some margin as well).

Ivans selections have been odd in the second half of the season, particularly the bench. What is the point of Mitch Kenny? A real lack of props. Leinu 12 mins? Pangai 23? Martin at prop?

makes no sense

Don't forget, Ivan got his start in coaching under Ricky Stuart at the Roosters as the reserve grade coach. Probably learned Ricky's bench rotation tactics at the time too.

383D382A-F5A7-4BD8-9A76-8FAA54B1B10E.jpeg

Karen Cleary: “I was probably guilty of it this week… but the NRL needs to work out if they want this public manipulation … we do it ourselves… maybe 1 out of 10 … poor refs get clogged with complaints, they’re only human… waaaaaah!”

Translated : We got beaten and now I’m whinging about what I admittedly did myself …. But it didn’t work sooooo, yeah, fix it please NRL. Or just let it work for me. But work it out would ya?

yobbo84

First Grade
I hope they keep writing us off
The pregame rhetoric was insane, anyone would have thought they were playing the Knights or Titans, not a team that finished a solitary win behind the top 2. I didn't think we would win but all the talk they would belt us and we would go out in straight sets was nonsense.

Anyway we won't have that luxury any more, we'll be hot favourites in the prelim, hope we can finally perform in a prelim!

Vic Mackey

Referee

Souths were fantastic last night, you can’t write them off after a performance like that. Probably the toughest they’ve played since 2015.

It was a tough gritty game which Penrith weren’t prepared for. With 20 mins to go and down by only 4 they continually looked for cheap tricks to get out of trouble and souths ate it up. As tough as it was overall it was a fairly low standard, based off Friday if the Storm played either team it’s the same scoreline as they beat Manly by.

If Souths put in like that again I expect them to beat Manly and then (likely) face the Storm. They’ll need to work on a lot to beat them though as the shifts looked very clunky without Latrell and Melbourne won’t have too many issues shutting it down. They’ll also have NAS, Harry and Tuki coming at them off the bench as opposed to the plodders we saw last night.

In saying that the biggest wildacrd in their hand is Wayne, however he won’t be able to ruffle Bellamy like he did the new Brian Smith.

big hit!

Bench
Souths defence finally turned up v Penrith or Melbourne. Let's face it, that's what has let them down over the Bennett years. In 2018 Seibold had the defence humming, but the attack spluttering. Bennett the other way around. Those 50s they copped earlier in the season led to a change in defensive structure - less contain, more line speed and urgency. They kept that up for the whole match last night which is really first

big hit!

Bench
If you are Penrith you must still be confident of winning. Meeting storm in PF is no different to GF especially given it won't be in Melbourne.

However, Ivan probably came up with the worst performance by a coach we have seen in a long time. From the start of the week to the presser. He sounds like he believes they are no hope now.

Panthers need to put together 3 big finals 3 weeks in a row to win the premiership now, while Melbourne will be fresh as a daisy waiting for them if they get over Penrith/Newcastle.

Smug most likely expected to get their rest next week, but perhaps they should have taken the opportunity when they could have last week rather than looking beyond the rabbits. Souths and Melbourne came into this weekend fresh. Penrith and Manly were full strength (admittedly Panthers was a training run) in the last round. Panthers were ground out of last night's match, and they looked tired in the last 10'. Not often we've seen that in the last couple of seasons. It's going to be a big ask for them to recover.

BranVan3000

Coach
The pregame rhetoric was insane, anyone would have thought they were playing the Knights or Titans, not a team that finished a solitary win behind the top 2. I didn't think we would win but all the talk they would belt us and we would go out in straight sets was nonsense.

Anyway we won't have that luxury any more, we'll be hot favourites in the prelim, hope we can finally perform in a prelim!
Yeah it was absolute nonsense. Andrew Johns said we are out in straight sets and I couldn't believe my ears

Like losing to Penrith was a realistic statement. But then to be no hopes against Knights or Eels the week after? Crazy

It was a classic ambush by Souths.

BranVan3000

Coach

Souths were fantastic last night, you can’t write them off after a performance like that. Probably the toughest they’ve played since 2015.

It was a tough gritty game which Penrith weren’t prepared for. With 20 mins to go and down by only 4 they continually looked for cheap tricks to get out of trouble and souths ate it up. As tough as it was overall it was a fairly low standard, based off Friday if the Storm played either team it’s the same scoreline as they beat Manly by.

If Souths put in like that again I expect them to beat Manly and then (likely) face the Storm. They’ll need to work on a lot to beat them though as the shifts looked very clunky without Latrell and Melbourne won’t have too many issues shutting it down. They’ll also have NAS, Harry and Tuki coming at them off the bench as opposed to the plodders we saw last night.

In saying that the biggest wildacrd in their hand is Wayne, however he won’t be able to ruffle Bellamy like he did the new Brian Smith.
Attack wasn't humming but Penrith are the best defensive team in the comp. Any points we were to come by were always going to be scrappy

Not that Storm is any easier with a lot more attacking ability

I think the hope for anybody making it to the GF with Storm is that the Storm just don't have that extra 1% of hunger being the defending Premiers. And its a bit like 2018 GF where Storm weren't as up for it as Roosters. Or even 2019 - even though Canberra lost they still dominated the game and just couldn't ice it

Latest posts