What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 R13 Fri - Wests Tigers 26-6 Penrith @ Leichhardt

Round 13: Wests Tigers v Penrith

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vic Mackey

Referee
Asking as a genuine question

Is Daine Laurie a better fullback then Dylan Edwards?

From what I’ve seen this year the answer is yes

Panther79

Juniors

No way. Laurie stands out in a tigers team with little in attack. Generally just submits in tackles or gets driven back. Not a great start to sets.

Edwards breaks tackles and makes some great runs to get us out of trouble out of dummy half. Also generally backs up really well and scores, have not seen Laurie do this much. Safe as houses under the high ball too.

In time, maybe but he needs a lot more size so sets can start on the front foot.

t-ba

Post Whore
Hard to imagine us beating the Storm this year if Cleary and Api don’t play, and Dylan goes off after the first half.

Oh wait....

Finals Storm are a very different outfit to March Storm. Panthers gonna need to find the gears to match them or otherwise eat shit at the final hurdle again like last year.

The_Frog

First Grade

The Panthers brains trust made this call last year and appear to be happy with it. If you are happy too despite your position on the ladder, then everybody's happy.

Finals Storm are a very different outfit to March Storm. Panthers gonna need to find the gears to match them or otherwise eat shit at the final hurdle again like last year.

I agree they are a different proposition in the final. This is why, despite the disruption it brings, I am delighted to have 6/7 players playing/involved in Origin. The Storm have been winning for years and their players know what it’s like to play in the big games. Origin will be big for our boys involved, while for the fringe players getting a run in first grade, last night was big as well. At this stage of the season, it is all about positioning yourself for the finals, be that in terms of competition points, cohesion or experience.

So congratulations to the Tigers. They played really well and dare I say poisoning themselves well for a run at the finals. But to look at the Panthers holistically and say that we are in a bad state or overplaying the role of a single individual after what happened last night is missing the bigger picture.

t-ba

Post Whore
I agree they are a different proposition in the final. This is why, despite the disruption it brings, I am delighted to have 6/7 players playing/involved in Origin. The Storm have been winning for years and their players know what it’s like to play in the big games. Origin will be big for our boys involved, while for the fringe players getting a run in first grade, last night was big as well. At this stage of the season, it is all about positioning yourself for the finals, be that in terms of competition points, cohesion or experience.

So congratulations to the Tigers. They played really well and dare I say poisoning themselves well for a run at the finals. But to look at the Panthers holistically and say that we are in a bad state or overplaying the role of a single individual after what happened last night is missing the bigger picture.

These are all good points.

This season's either gonna be remembered as a Manly 1996 or a Parra 2002 for your lot.

Talent wise the fate of the Panthers is well and truly in their hands.

Should have said positioning. Freudian slip...

These are all good points.

This season's either gonna be remembered as a Manly 1996 or a Parra 2002 for your lot.

Talent wise the fate of the Panthers is well and truly in their hands.

Agree. Although are the two choices really only to be compared to Manly or Parra? Neither seem particularly palatable...

Pantherjim.

Referee
No way. Laurie stands out in a tigers team with little in attack. Generally just submits in tackles or gets driven back. Not a great start to sets.

Edwards breaks tackles and makes some great runs to get us out of trouble out of dummy half. Also generally backs up really well and scores, have not seen Laurie do this much. Safe as houses under the high ball too.

In time, maybe but he needs a lot more size so sets can start on the front foot.

I thought Dylan was pretty quiet last night. I don’t think that he’s fully recovered from his hamstring injury

t-ba

Post Whore
Agree. Although are the two choices really only to be compared to Manly or Parra? Neither seem particularly palatable...

I think they're the two most obvious modern parallels. Runaway hot sides breaking all kinds of records who just absolutely ate shit in a grand final.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the Tigers, and they're probably up there as one of my more favoured NSW teams along with Penrith. But FMD, the way some (not all) of their fans carried on after that win..jesus christ. But I guess since there's just so much bad blood between Cleary and the club, that I really shouldn't be surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the Tigers, and they're probably up there as one of my more favoured NSW teams along with Penrith. But FMD, the way some (not all) of their fans carried on after that win..jesus christ. But I guess since there's just so much bad blood between Cleary and the club, that I really shouldn't be surprised.

I am not sure there is much bad blood on the Cleary side towards the Tigers. When you hear him talk about him leaving he appears genuinely remorseful about how the whole thing went down. But given his ambitions to coach his son it was an opportunity too good to give up.

But I can see that the Tigers fans have a different view and last night was the first time they got a chance to vent at home since Ivan left. So I will give them a pass for last night. Hopefully it is a bit more family friendly from here on though...

mxlegend99

Referee

Last night he was. But Dylan Edwards has been terrific this year for the most part. I honestly dunno why we brought him back. Last night was always an unlikely win and we should have saved him for next week when we might get a few origin guys back. Although i would rest one of our halves and probably Yeo. Give all our Origin players a break after an Origin match but cycle them. Cant burn them out now.