What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Injuries And Suspensions

Valheru

Coach
Disappointed to hear we're not fighting this to be honest. Now, before anyone bites my head off, let me explain because it hasn't been explained on this forum yet.

This has come from a number of guys on another forum so I can't take any credit for the thinking behind this but I'll write it in my own words to describe it as best I can.

So Latrell has been charged with a RECKLESS high tackle. Not a shoulder charge, not dangerous high contact; A RECKLESS high tackle. This is considered worse than a careless high tackle so it's my belief that this is a seperate charge.

NRL rules state that for a tackle to be deemed reckless, contact with the head has to be foreseen by the defending player but they go through with it anyway, hence the term 'reckless.'

Pay close attention to the following two images. I'm hoping that those of you who think it was a dog shot, this will change your thinking because there is no way Latrell could have foreseen contact with Manu's head.

View attachment 53088
Image 1: Latrell is going into the tackle and Manu is at a similar height. Latrell has lined it up correctly and a shoulder to shoulder contact is imminent.

Image 2: Manu loses his feet because he is dragged down by Gagai in a split second, it's so quick. Latrell's arms are pretty low, his knees are bent which indicates he had already committed. Manu is collected in the face. Brutal yes, unfortunate, yes.

But reckless? Did Latrell foresee this occuring? The facts are there in plain sight, hell no he didn't. Latrell's arm in the second image, compared to the position of Manu's body in the first (and where he was clearly supposed to be a split-second later), clearly show that Latrell foresaw and lined up a textbook collision/Rugby League tackle, nothing more.

Therefore, in my opinion, he has been given the wrong charge, he's been over-charged. It should have been a careless high tackle charge, not reckless.

Based on this evidence, I think we would have had a good shot at proving this so if we fought the charge of a reckless high tackle, we could prove it wasn't reckless at all, just careless.

It's claimed that the Judiciary cannot downgrade it to a careless high tackle because that is a seperate charge and in this case, the reckless charge would have to be dropped.

I hope this makes sense to everyone.

Now, I'm not saying Latrell hasn't done anything wrong, he's clearly made a mistake. He's come in way too fast so hasn't given himself time to react, that's his error. It's not a dog shot, there's no way he did it on purpose.

I'm just stating that his actions were careless, not reckless and he has been over-charged. I think this has been a trial by media for Latrell yet again, the outcry from everyone has contributed to it no doubt. Yes, it looked bad and caused a serious injury, but when you look at the facts, it's just an unfortunate Rugby League incident.

So really disappointed we've just rolled over and accepted this. His Season is now done. I'm just shattered. It's devastating.

This is what you made me come in to this thread for?

Laughable

It proves beyond doubt it was reckless. You also forgot to mention the part where he ran 20m at full speed to put that "accidental" hit on

Valheru

Coach
What a disgrace. The Roosters have handled this really badly.

Latrell knows he did the wrong thing and we wants to go aplogise to his mate. No need for these self-entitled Roosters wankers to carry on like that.

Sure, be angry but at least let him go apologise to his make and don't carry on like a dickhead.

Wait what? The wrong thing?

This was an accident wasn't it and Latrell is a victim of circumstance?

Valheru

Coach
‘Cannot afford for him to let his side down’: Ennis calls on Latrell to curb fiery streak: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/b0087c45c31af0c3e37f98e67af68467

Latrell, JWH face-off in fiery post-game tunnel argument over brutal Manu shot: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/3861f6ab64abdaa558ce0c6e1617bf90

Yes, really.

I feel for Manu, I really do. It sucks what happened to him.

But the fact is that this was an accident, Latrell didn't do it intentionally. He's made a big mistake and it was bad but that's all it was, a brain snap mistake. We all make mistakes. He's showed remorse and wants to check on Manu, he has a right to go and apologise. However, the Roosters carrying on like that is disgraceful.
The problem you have is you think accidentally and intentional are the only 2 options. There is an in between called reckless which is what he was charged with.

Maybe because you are across the ditch you can open it but you can't open it from an Australian site, that's handy though because you can always copy/paste the article. ;)
I get that, but he got abused by the Roosters bench coming off the field when sent for 10. Reports are they got off the bench, JWH, Crichton, Radley, and that Robinson had to step in and back them off. Not to mention the abuse Sua allegedly copped from one of the Roosters "officials" who had no place to be doing that.

It could have been a Manly v Melbourne like brawl and got real ugly.

George Burgess copped a 2 week ban for throwing a plastic water bottle from the bench, and landed no where near the opposing Roosters bench players. What's gonna happen to these wankers?
Water and Poms don't mix- you know the joke safest place to hide money in England - Under a Bar/Cake of soap

Good to see Robinson being held accountable. Now they need to do the same to JWH and the other Rorter fake tough guys not to mention the unnamed Rorter official who abused Sua.
Pocket money to Uncle Nick - JWH no case to answer showing concern for a fellow Kiwi taken out of the game by an illegal tackle that match officials tried in vain to overlook - we're playing on says the REF nothing to see - the circus music and streamers distracting the Bunker again or Bunker officials colour blind - can't see any illegal play committed against players wearing red , white and blue only when the times they do

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
Pocket money to Uncle Nick - JWH no case to answer showing concern for a fellow Kiwi taken out of the game by an illegal tackle that match officials tried in vain to overlook - we're playing on says the REF nothing to see - the circus music and streamers distracting the Bunker again or Bunker officials colour blind - can't see any illegal play committed against players wearing red , white and blue only when the times they do
How does assaulting a cameraman equate to showing concern for a fellow player? I see Glavitt are still controlling the media for you Joe.

callmack1

Staff member
Yes, he did run in at full speed and that was dumb, no denying that. But it was to put a big hit on legally, that was his intention. Not to hit him high on purpose. I don't understand how you can't see that, the facts are all there.

Wait what? The wrong thing?

This was an accident wasn't it and Latrell is a victim of circumstance?
You don't understand what I'm saying clearly.

No one can deny he hit Manu in the head so therefore, yea he's done the wrong thing. However, he didn't do the wrong thing on purpose, there's a difference. I'm sure everyone has unintentionally done the wrong thing many times in their life, you'd be lying if you said you hadn't.

You're trying to say he did it on purpose which is rubbish.

Look, we're obviously never going to agree on this so I think it's time we all moved on. What's done is done.

handyman2190

Bench
I think you need glasses or take those red and green one's off - need to read up on the injury Manu sustained - you don't have as many plates and screws holding the fractures together as Manu required for a minor injury to that part of the face though. Goolagong-Mitchell was lucky it wasn't referred directly to the judiciary. As for Gould and co you don't have to have played the game to know what a high tackle is - Gould played during the Jim Comans Judiciary era where that type of tackle would get a lot longer than 6 weeks - 16 or so

so your saying Manu should have kept playing

Manu’s season is over, after needing three metal plates inserted in his face.

The operation took several hours in a Brisbane private hospital on Saturday afternoon and the star centre will be kept under care for at least 48 hours.

“The surgeon mentioned it would have taken significant force to cause this amount of damage,” said Roosters medico Dr Tom Longworth.

“It’s more something you’d see in a car accident than a football tackle.”

Fortunately Manu has been cleared of any damage to his right eye.

“The good thing is that his eye is ok,” Dr Longworth said

“You can damage the eye in a collision like this one from fractures to the orbital rim bone around his eye. If you get a bad enough fracture it can pierce the eye.

“Sometime the muscle that moves the eye can be trapped and that can cause double vision.
Your a demented fool,there is no difference to the burgess and manu injuries, and it would of been better to have gone straight to the judiciary, it would have been downgraded to careless, all the publicity especially the roosters garbage helped condemn latrell which is a farce, the fact that you cant contest a ruling under the threat of copping more weeks is also illegal and a farce, so your guilty and you cant try and prove innocence or downgradeing, its actually laughable,lol

handyman2190

Bench
Gallon's been in too many scrums - to think that every high tackle is an accident without intent and or malice is like believing in fairies at the end of the garden.

Funny how he said that he went out there to hurt opposition players but not seriously - mmm not sure how you can limit the hurt you inflict on another player though - tackle them lightly/softy or something like in oztag or touch footy.

Obviously not every player likes each other even the players in the same club- so when you tackle those opposition players you might put a bit more into than usual not that i am saying this is the case with Manu and Goolagong-Mitchell
You are a racist pigdog,go home

southsport

First Grade
It proves beyond doubt it was reckless. You also forgot to mention the part where he ran 20m at full speed to put that "accidental" hit on
Not necessarily, Trell had to run in at full tilt to shut down the play and the collision was unavoidable, no doubt that contact was made with Joey's head but whether that was deliberate or not we will never know for certain.

handyman2190

Bench
how do you draw that conclusion by calling him Goolaging-Mitchell - Mitchell was Latrell Goolagong and still part of the Goolagong family- his Mother is Yvonne Goolagong-Cawley's sister
Thats not his name! Your highlighting it and repeating it in mirth, just go home weve put up with your communist BS enough

Your a demented fool,there is no difference to the burgess and manu injuries, and it would of been better to have gone straight to the judiciary, it would have been downgraded to careless, all the publicity especially the roosters garbage helped condemn latrell which is a farce, the fact that you cant contest a ruling under the threat of copping more weeks is also illegal and a farce, so your guilty and you cant try and prove innocence or downgradeing, its actually laughable,lol

The Burgess one was a result of a head clash with Graham for starters so not the same as Manu's one which was as a result of the reckless high tackle grade 2 by Goolagong-Mitchell.

Players can go to the judiciary and challenge the grading and charge though - nothing stopping them doing that.

The NRL judiciary is based on the current legal system. if say you were charged with a custodial offence which carried a sentence of 3 to 7 years - if you enter an early plea you may receive the minimum sentence of 3 years if you have no priors- similar and non similar offences.

If you take it to court and are found guilty the magistrate has the discretion to sentence you to the maximum 7 years as you wont receive a lessor sentence that was available if you entered an early guilty plea.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
The Burgess one was a result of a head clash with Graham for starters so not the same as Manu's one which was as a result of the reckless high tackle grade 2 by Goolagong-Mitchell.

Players can go to the judiciary and challenge the grading and charge though - nothing stopping them doing that.

The NRL judiciary is based on the current legal system. if say you were charged with a custodial offence which carried a sentence of 3 to 7 years - if you enter an early plea you may receive the minimum sentence of 3 years if you have no priors- similar and non similar offences.

If you take it to court and are found guilty the magistrate has the discretion to sentence you to the maximum 7 years as you wont receive a lessor sentence that was available if you entered an early guilty plea.
So pleading guilty to the charge is not admitting to guilt?

Is that not remorse in your eyes, or your wanker Rooster comrades?
Or Slothfield?

It's funny that Manus family have forgiven Latrell because they know it was accidental. The only ones still whinging like little bitches are these Chicken Pluckers who are pissed their team got absolutely humiliated.
With the all the players out it's been a mighty effort for the Chook to even make the finals - And like the Chook Rabbit will be watching the GF back in Sydney

Missing last game with many of them out for quite a while and Boyd not even playing - the highlighted ones are the only ones returning- add Joey Manu to the out for the season list.

How would Rabbit go with the equivalent players out i.e the * 10 of whom would be in the 17 if available

Joseph Suaalii
*Brett Morris
Dale Copley
*Josh Morris- Finals week 1
Matt Ikuvalu- Finals week 1
Adam Keighran- Round 25

*Luke Keary
*Lindsay Collins
*Jake Friend
*Nat Butcher
*Boyd Cordner
*Angus Crichton- Round 25
*Victor Radley- Finals week 1

Billy Smith
* Jared Waerea-Hargreaves- Round 25

So pleading guilty to the charge is not admitting to guilt?

Is that not remorse in your eyes, or your wanker Rooster comrades?
Or Slothfield?
If you spoke to any prisoner not many if any would admit their guilt one would say. Like that show i was watching the other day -real crimes in USA- Capital Murder case - The alleged offender adamant they are not guilty - lots of argy bargy between the prosecution and defence lawyers - come back with a plea bargain - 20 years to life- the offender accepts the plea bargain still adamant they are not guilty though.

If dealt with in court and found guilty they can't then go back and accept the plea bargain it's too late - the alternative in not accepting the plea bargain though is if found guilty -23 hours locked up in a cell on death row - 3 appeals and 1 last clemency from the state governor and if all unsuccessful off to the death house

Latest posts