What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Injuries And Suspensions

Rabbits20

Immortal
Actually, mainly to stop the media (including the NRL's own site) sideshow that accompanies these hearings, and the potential this has to influence the judiciary, who are just ex-players. It is significant that the outcomes of all three hearings was correctly predicted on NRL360 before they started.
If you’re a Rorter you always get off I’m sick of it! They’re not accountable,

Actually, mainly to stop the media (including the NRL's own site) sideshow that accompanies these hearings, and the potential this has to influence the judiciary, who are just ex-players. It is significant that the outcomes of all three hearings was correctly predicted on NRL360 before they started.

I’m not sure there is as strong a connection which you allude to, but I concur with the general thesis of eliminating the opportunity for an excess of discretion. A court of league with a “proper judge” may alleviate these concerns of influence and apprehension of or actual bias.

callmack1

Staff member
Hooper - Proof Latrell Mitchell’s FOUR match ban is over the top: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/8dcf92ba79c3d6509347025ad419ac75

‘I must be from another planet’ - Gus blasts judiciary inconsistency in Latrell and Radley rulings: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/5bcaec3d0ad4f44735d3487d811260f5

‘Call it the National Roosters League’ - Fans erupt as Latrell banned, Radley free to play: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/662f01e208dae47523e180b85b974f39

RABBITS STEW - Souths release dossier to prove Latrell was robbed: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/973a4454fb8a4772888bd750304d025f

NRL looks like 'a fool' over Latrell Mitchell ban, according to Phil Gould: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/latrel...udiciary/63f4c19e-1d59-43da-b48c-c1eb45236879

Man, these articles are all great reads!! They speak the truth big time!!! It's really good to see the media are actually on our side for once and I couldn't agree more with what's been said by some experts.

Have had a day to dwell on it and I don't know about you guys but I'm sill f**king fuming!!

callmack1

Staff member

Rabbits20

Immortal
Also look at Felise on Matto 5 weeks ago it was ugly and Matto still out and Felise only got 2 weeks. If Trell did what Felise did he gets 6 weeks.

Latrell has bad discipline he doesn’t help himself but they’re watching basically every second of what he does out there it’s not right to target one player. That’s why Souths are sending all images of similar things where nothing has been done.

Gould and Bennett are dinosaurs cant be saying oh no one was hurt and there was no on field penalty- that's not the point as suspensions are not based on an injury suffered and would you want on field incidents not penalised not subject to suspensions.

Imagine if players were suspended for how long the other player was out for and how much this would be milked/gamed by teams. Especially if the best or main players from a contender was involved in the incident. Or a player clobbers another player and puts that player out of the game and maybe weeks out of the game but it's missed and not penalised so they get away with it .

Trouble with Mitchell is he is like a school yard bully picking on the little blokes - he wouldn't dare do what he does in games to the bigger players i.e forwards- be put on his back side quick smart one would say.

Same with the Riff players and their carry on after scoring tries - no fear of retribution as a result of this - down the track players will take action on this and whack a few of the perpetrators despite the sin bin.

4 Weeks was a fair call and no use Souffs coming out with all these video's of other incidents claiming bias or whatever they are hoping to gain by it - mmm why didn't his defence use these when challenging the grading though - Baldy Hooper claims the defence was outstanding - I would question that.

Players such as Mitchell have to learn they have a duty of care on the field same as clubs and the NRL- The playing field and training facility is the workplace covered by legislation in terms of occupational health and safety the same as your workplace/site is.

The Radley tackle was a mere tap and nothing in it and the Storm gamed it in being able to use 2 free fresh interchanges - said they were surprised he was even sin binned as basically Munster and the Storm milked it.

Which is another issue they made a mockery of the Concussion issue with their HIA shenanigans - NRL aren't taking it seriously so most clubs aren't either with the main exception being the Roosters. NRL investigating they say - nothing will happen - be swept under the carpet as they are one of Ruppies teams- don't want to upset FOX do they.

Last edited:
Hooper - Proof Latrell Mitchell’s FOUR match ban is over the top: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/8dcf92ba79c3d6509347025ad419ac75

‘I must be from another planet’ - Gus blasts judiciary inconsistency in Latrell and Radley rulings: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/5bcaec3d0ad4f44735d3487d811260f5

‘Call it the National Roosters League’ - Fans erupt as Latrell banned, Radley free to play: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/662f01e208dae47523e180b85b974f39

RABBITS STEW - Souths release dossier to prove Latrell was robbed: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/973a4454fb8a4772888bd750304d025f

NRL looks like 'a fool' over Latrell Mitchell ban, according to Phil Gould: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/latrel...udiciary/63f4c19e-1d59-43da-b48c-c1eb45236879

Man, these articles are all great reads!! They speak the truth big time!!! It's really good to see the media are actually on our side for once and I couldn't agree more with what's been said by some experts.

Have had a day to dwell on it and I don't know about you guys but I'm sill f**king fuming!!

I agree with Gould on the following

Gould finished by noting that Radley shouldn't have even been charged for his high shot on Melbourne's Cameron Munster.

"It was only worth a penalty at the time and a warning from the ref," he wrote.

"It wasn't worth a sin bin. Let alone a charge and wasted time at the judiciary."

Also look at Felise on Matto 5 weeks ago it was ugly and Matto still out and Felise only got 2 weeks. If Trell did what Felise did he gets 6 weeks.

Latrell has bad discipline he doesn’t help himself but they’re watching basically every second of what he does out there it’s not right to target one player. That’s why Souths are sending all images of similar things where nothing has been done.

Not being targeted at all - if you don't commit these offenses you wont be penalised or charged by the judiciary simple as that

If you’re a Rorter you always get off I’m sick of it! They’re not accountable,

I agree with Gould on the following

Gould finished by noting that Radley shouldn't have even been charged for his high shot on Melbourne's Cameron Munster.

"It was only worth a penalty at the time and a warning from the ref," he wrote.

"It wasn't worth a sin bin. Let alone a charge and wasted time at the judiciary."

Radley had a better lawyer and case to be down graded simple as that- No use blaming the NRL - Why be sending out these video's of other incidents post the judicary hearing though - mmm one would have thought they would have been used as part of the case in challenging the grading at the judiciary in the first place.

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Judiciary Update - Mitchell to miss next four games: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/20/judiciary-update-mitchell-to-miss-next-four-games/

As it happened - NRL Judiciary - Mitchell, Radley, Momirovski plead cases: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/20/live-nrl-judiciary---mitchell-radley-momirovski-plead-cases/

Mitchell’s Dally M hopes up in smoke as star cops FOUR game ban in massive backfire: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/62e1c75650e7f71bb9af16a8142e7af8

What an absolute f**king joke!! An absolute f**king joke! How the hell does Trell get four weeks for that? Seriously? He absolutely whacked by the Judiciary and gets gets four weeks for a soft little 'karate chop' yet other players like Kaufusi, JWH, Sean Keppie have done far worse this Season and yet they've copped f**k all!! How the f**k does Victor Radley get off his charge yet Latrell doesn't? How the f**k is Radley's hit not as bad as Latrell's?

I'll tell you why, it's because there is a clear bias against us and Latrell especially at the Judiciary. Don't f**king tell me I'm looking at it through Red and Green eyes when it's clear as daylight. Look at all the cases over the years where the NRL has whacked us hard yet other players get f**king nothing for similar things. It's BS. An absolute disgrace and I am f**king fuming!! Feel like punching a hole in a wall.

We are now without our best player for our toughest period of the competition and we could be in some trouble. Not only that, but Trell now has no chance of winning the Dally M.

This all just defies belief, it really does. I just can't understand how a Roosters player who's contact was far more dangerous and forceful than our Souths players gets off yet ours goes for four weeks. F**k me. I am fuming.

I don't believe we follow a corrupt sport but times like this make you wonder. The NRL will do anything they can to stop us winning the comp. F**k me!!

hahaha turn it up. Your thug player has history and your club gambled on a downgrade hence the 4 weeks. I get you have red and green goggles on but if it was one of our players doing the same to yours you’d be saying it was the correct call, almost guaranteed

honestly I think you’re upset over the fact Radley got off which is fair. But surely you can’t be comparing the same incidents

callmack1

Staff member
From News Corp, god this article is a great read!! I take my hat off to Wayne, very well said and I couldn't have put it better myself!

NRL judiciary: Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett slams review panel over Latrell Mitchell suspension. Wayne Bennett has let fly with a stunning takedown of the NRL’s entire judiciary process.

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has launched a verbal assault on the NRL’s judiciary process, calling Latrell Mitchell’s four-week ban “ridiculous”.

The South Sydney coach claims Latrell Mitchell did not get fair justice because of the influence of media commentary over his tackle on David Nofoaluma, which he believes had a significant impact on the result.

That’s why Bennett has also called for the NRL to open up future judiciary hearings to the public so every fan can judge panel members as they judge players.

“Make us all accountable,” Bennett said.

He also went into bat for his under siege star, saying Mitchell was not a dirty player and in this instance the game has let him down terribly, declaring it “borders on the ridiculous”.

He was also furious at the fact NRL judiciary member Bob Lindner was allowed to be part of the decision-making process on Tuesday night via a Zoom video hook-up, which he found completely “disrespectful”.

44191ace6464651ffb6544fedc906b12
Wayne Bennett has launched an empassioned defence of his star player, Latrell Mitchell, after the NRL review committee banned him for four matches. Picture: Mark Evans/Getty Images

Latrell ‘done over’

Bennett reckons in his 35 years as a head coach he has never seen a player treated more unfairly.

“That is why I am sticking up for him,” Bennett said.

“I have stuck up for other players, too.

“But this borders on the ridiculous and the unfair.

“I have never seen a player done over like he got done over.

“I just feel there has been an injustice done and it has been created by inconsistency.

“Of all the things that go into making a game of rugby league, this is the one area that has the most opportunity to get it right.

“Because they have the benefit of hindsight and numerous opportunities for replays and (viewing) all types of angles.

“But they are making more poor judgments than the players and referees who are under more pressure than anybody.

“Have I seen it in other seasons? Yes I have.

1d350e1b26930cc18c7ab143f70a09fb

Mitchell’s suspension has caused significant controversy and could damage South Sydney’s premiership hopes.

Mitchell’s suspension has caused significant controversy and could damage South Sydney’s premiership hopes.

“But I am probably at a stage now where I am just more unforgiving than ever because it continually happens to the detriment of teams and clubs and players and fans.

“And nobody ever seems to be accountable for the fairness of charges.

“Everything that I say and do and my players say and do, we are all accountable for.

“And the referees are in the same boat.

“But there just seems to be a different set of rules when it comes to the review committee and the hearings themselves.

“And the panel members don’t have to give any reasons for their decisions.”

Which is why Bennett wants judiciary meetings open to the public, either televised or streamed over the internet, which the NRL has previously discussed as an option.

“Make us all accountable,” he continued.

“You can judge Latrell for what he has done. We should know why they determine what they determine.

“Yet they walk out and say ‘guilty’ or ‘downgraded’ and that is it, end of conversation.”

Where’s the transperancy?

Bennett said it makes absolutely no sense what he considered a grade one charge for Mitchell’s tackle on Nofoaluma ends in a four-week ban, especially when other more dangerous tackles this year have resulted in less or no punishment at all.

Bennett backed up his claims with a series of recent incidents that resulted in no charges.

These included a tackle by Manly’s Sean Keppie that concussed Adam Reynolds and didn’t so much as draw a penalty, Penrith’s Viliame Kikau’s crunching shot that left Canberra fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad with a budging disc in his neck, and a tackle from Newcastle’s Tyson Frizell that heavily concussed Gold Coast Phillip Sami.

“But a glancing blow to a player’s face that in my opinion wouldn’t be a strong grade one goes to a grade two that leads you down the path to a four-match suspension,” he said.

“What I know is that they (the match review) are reactive to the press and the media coverage.

064f1b3e4961b10ed1dd14cbed0a23cb
Bennett labelled the entire judiciary process as “reactive” and “unfair”. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images

“And you don’t see a better example than on the weekend in the game against Wests Tigers.

“Every incident that the media decided Latrell did not play in the spirit of the game was put under the microscope and driven by the journalists and commentators.

“We have to remember here Latrell was only put on report for one incident.

“But there were other incidents over the weekend where you saw a similar type of behaviour, particular when tries were scored (for which Mitchell copped a grade one for knees into Tigers forward Luke Garner) which have been well documented and there has been no action because there was no commentary on them.

“So does the panel have the excuse that if no one sees it, do we let that go?”

Bennett also exposed another situation of double standards to specifically detail how ridiculous the process can be.

Souths’ Keaon Koloamatangi was charged for a crusher tackle in a game against Canterbury but the Bulldogs’ Jack Hetherington escaped sanction because his crusher on Cam Murray occurred in the act of Murray scoring a try.

“It is unbelievable that anyone can tell you that in the act of scoring a try you can do anything you like to your opponent,” Bennett said of the justification passed back to him directly from the NRL.

NRL: Paul Crawley believes Latrell Mitchell is too emotional on the field and it could cost South Sydney dearly in the long run

“You either did a crusher tackle or you didn’t.

“Now, I am talking about Souths here but I see it happening across other clubs as well, it is just not us.

“But here again Latrell has four weeks of suspensions, $3000 in fines, and there wasn’t a penalty, there wasn’t a stoppage in the game, there wasn’t an injury, there was no medical attention other than a splash of water, and the worst thing you can say about his contact on Nofoaluma was that it was a glancing blow brought about by the circumstances of the situation.

“I am not suggesting he should not have got charged for that. What I am saying is that it has to be in perspective of what actually happened.”

Not a dirty player

Asked if Mitchell was a dirty player who needed to pull his head in, Bennett fired back: “No, I don’t think he brings it on himself but he plays the game in a manner that is different to how Tedesco plays it.

“But he hasn’t got a history of bad behavior.

“He has three charges sitting on him here and two of them at least should have been concerning acts and the other in my opinion was a grade one, which is a fine, not a grade two and certainly not a four-match suspension.

“Does that make him bad?

“You look across the game and there were a number of those acts on the weekend but does anyone else have their character questioned like Latrell?

“We are not talking about an out of control player here.

“I am telling you that is not the case.”

caadc469a134913e1e35a733774e90c3

Mitchell unsuccessfully defended his charges. Picture: Toby Zerna

‘Disrespectful’ zoom

Bennett only found out on Wednesday that judiciary panel member Lindner was not at the hearing.

To say he was flabbergasted was an understatement.

“I find it totally unacceptable,” Bennett said.

“There is no way I would want someone deciding my career or anything that was a serious event in my life with somebody in charge of making that decision on Zoom.

“There was a time in the game when Zoom meetings were required.

“That is not the case anymore.

“You need to be in that room.

“You need to have that conversation with your other members and you need to be able to look each other in the eye and feel what is going on in that room when you are deciding someone’s future.

“Imagine if that happened in a court of law and he was part of the jury?

“I can’t believe the NRL allowed it to happen.”

callmack1

Staff member
CRAWLEY: DISLIKE FOR LATRELL TAINTS FLAWED JUDICIARY CALL
– Paul Crawley (Comment)

It was interesting reading some of the online comments that immediately followed Latrell Mitchell copping four weeks at the judiciary on Tuesday night.

What it told me was that a lot of people were mistaking their obvious and often immense dislike for Latrell with the fact the NRL judiciary process got this horribly wrong.

There is just no way in the world anyone with an ounce of football intelligence can swallow the fact that the tackle that gave Wests Tigers winger David Nofoaluma a bit of a bloodied mouth (yet did not cause any serious injury) was deserving of a four-match suspension.

Now, in no way am I excusing the fact that I think Latrell needs to grow up and play with more discipline — because at the moment his occasional brain snaps are really letting him and his team down.

And I wrote a column about that last Sunday in the wake of Saturday night’s clash when the charges first came out, saying that if Latrell and also Cody Walker don’t get the rubbish out of their game then they could well end up costing the Rabbitohs a premiership this year.

I stand by that.

But just because Latrell has a propensity to get himself in a bit of trouble here and there doesn’t give the NRL the right to take after him with a baseball bat to try and teach him a lesson.

And that is exactly what they have done here because as Phil Gould tweeted on Tuesday night: “If Latrell Mitchell deserves 4 weeks on the sideline for that incident, I am an astronaut”.

No Gus, you’re not an astronaut.

Yet still so many fans on social media and comments posted below our online stories wanted to convince themselves that Latrell was deserving of an extended stint on the sideline.

As Carol said: “Mitchell is nothing but a big head. And he will never be regarded as a great. Good to see him pulled back into line”.

And Ken posted: “Back to Taree and play with your toys. Should have got 10 weeks.”

Les wrote: “That will teach him for leaving the Roosters.”

And on and on it went.

Sure, there were also plenty supporting Latrell and the fact the punishment far outweighed the crime.

b4a52501b142a701e1f6cd0909f39223

Latrell Mitchell at the NRL judiciary Picture: Toby Zerna

But it is also the reality that Latrell is without question the most polarising player in the game right now and I can’t help but wonder if that played any part in his ultimate punishment.

While I am in no way suggesting that the judiciary or match review panel are corrupt or acted with any bias and that is what has clouded the judgment here, what I just cannot fathom is the diabolic inconsistencies this has exposed.

Especially when you take the time to compare this to other far more damaging incidents this season that have not received the same severity and in several cases no punishment whatsoever.

Now some will throw back at me the fact Latrell had three charges that occurred during the match against the Tigers and that played into the ultimate severity of the penalty.

But I will say it again, if that is the system then the system needs to be blown up and started with some commonsense factored into it.

Because there is just no way Latrell’s lazy (and, yes, careless/reckless) arm raise at Nofoaluma was worthy of a four match ban any way you want to look at it.

64b40229aae473aef924c477b428bd4c

Latrell Mitchell's shot on David Nofoaluma.

As for the two separate charges of Latrell kicking out at Tigers forward Luke Garner, and also dropping his leg into Garner after a try, it is absolutely ridiculous he was charged for these incidents in the first place.

Yes, they were deserving of a concerning act letter from the game telling him to pull his head in or else.

But as Souths pointed out there were two almost identical incidents on the weekend involving Newcastle’s Mitch Barnett and Gold Coast’s Jonas Pearson that did not result in charges.

So again, where is the consistency in this?

And on the Nofoaluma incident, there have been other far more damaging tackles this year that have escaped punishment.

Like when Penrith giant Viliame Kikau clobbered Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and left the Canberra fullback nursing a bulging disc in his neck that will require surgery and is expected to sideline him for three months.

No charge.

Or Tyson Frizell’s high shot that concussed Gold Coast’s Phillip Sami a couple of weeks back, forcing Sami to miss last weekend round.

7345f38754c03d1e23d686aae67d2adc

Mitchell has been banned for four matches. Picture: Toby Zerna

And then you have the grade two benchmark as I call it, that sickening Felise Kaufusi elbow that knocked out Ryan Matterson back in round two and Matterson still hasn’t returned to the field a month later.

Yet Kaufusi took the early guilty plea and spent two weeks on the sideline.

And Latrell’s tackle was not nearly as nasty and he will miss four weeks.

How does the NRL explain that if they are not saying Latrell was punished for who he is, not what he did?

Is Carol right, is this the NRL’s way of pulling a “big head” back into line?

Or is it just the system that stinks?

Because no one at Souths is asking for preferential treatment, but it would be wonderful if it could at least appear fair.

truthslayer

Juniors
hahaha turn it up. Your thug player has history and your club gambled on a downgrade hence the 4 weeks. I get you have red and green goggles on but if it was one of our players doing the same to yours you’d be saying it was the correct call, almost guaranteed

honestly I think you’re upset over the fact Radley got off which is fair. But surely you can’t be comparing the same incidents
So which hole did you crawl out of? So Ok for your player to hold and impede a player, reflex action by Latrell trying to get back to play, while a dirty Tiger player cheats. And as for the Hollywood player that received a light tap from again a reflex action, well done your up for an Oscar! Latrell is not a thug so keep your grimy comments out of the channel,

truthslayer

Juniors
Gould and Bennett are dinosaurs cant be saying oh no one was hurt and there was no on field penalty- that's not the point as suspensions are not based on an injury suffered and would you want on field incidents not penalised not subject to suspensions.

Imagine if players were suspended for how long the other player was out for and how much this would be milked/gamed by teams. Especially if the best or main players from a contender was involved in the incident. Or a player clobbers another player and puts that player out of the game and maybe weeks out of the game but it's missed and not penalised so they get away with it .

Trouble with Mitchell is he is like a school yard bully picking on the little blokes - he wouldn't dare do what he does in games to the bigger players i.e forwards- be put on his back side quick smart one would say.

Same with the Riff players and their carry on after scoring tries - no fear of retribution as a result of this - down the track players will take action on this and whack a few of the perpetrators despite the sin bin.

4 Weeks was a fair call and no use Souffs coming out with all these video's of other incidents claiming bias or whatever they are hoping to gain by it - mmm why didn't his defence use these when challenging the grading though - Baldy Hooper claims the defence was outstanding - I would question that.

Players such as Mitchell have to learn they have a duty of care on the field same as clubs and the NRL- The playing field and training facility is the workplace covered by legislation in terms of occupational health and safety the same as your workplace/site is.

The Radley tackle was a mere tap and nothing in it and the Storm gamed it in being able to use 2 free fresh interchanges - said they were surprised he was even sin binned as basically Munster and the Storm milked it.

Which is another issue they made a mockery of the Concussion issue with their HIA shenanigans - NRL aren't taking it seriously so most clubs aren't either with the main exception being the Roosters. NRL investigating they say - nothing will happen - be swept under the carpet as they are one of Ruppies teams- don't want to upset FOX do they.
Really? schoolyard bully? get back to the cellar, your opinions are warped with your dislike for Mitchell
Radley a tap? go away .

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
So which hole did you crawl out of? So Ok for your player to hold and impede a player, reflex action by Latrell trying to get back to play, while a dirty Tiger player cheats. And as for the Hollywood player that received a light tap from again a reflex action, well done your up for an Oscar! Latrell is not a thug so keep your grimy comments out of the channel,

let me give you a stray elbow to the face while you’re not looking then.

Your player is a thug