What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

possm

Coach
Why would he be
it was like SBW
take away the shoulder charge and they become just average in defence
at least SBW In his ripe old age of mid-30s still had some ball skills and leg speed
Napa got none of the above
Ok then, we sitll need one more first grade prop. Who would you suggest?

BLM01

First Grade
Ok then, we sitll need one more first grade prop. Who would you suggest?

My opinion would be Leota from the Panthers. sneaks under the radar and not a current starting prop
Look not sure if he has just recently rresigned another deal but that is the sort of player I am after
Bellamy has given us all the blue print.
And I was recruitment manager at another club I would look at Blake lawrie..he is soon reaching the age for him to get the full understanding how to play prop and is not afraid to hit the line in attack. he needs work on subtleties in his game in lines he runs and work in 2nd efforts in defence but blame our prior master coach for that neglection.

Start looking at people like that still on a contract (with a year or 2 left) who may not be paid much or not getting a lot of game time and dont get the media frenzy. That is where you start especially for a prop
I can assure you managers ride on the coat tails of the media favs and instant frenzy on some players after 1 good game.
Napa is a waste now..especially Dogs already paid him big coin.,..based on his smashing style of defence at the Roosters. Now he is almost a liability

Last edited:

SaintPeter

Juniors
Its early days but ... what the heck .... the Bulldogs recruitment of Steve Hanson looks to be a very very positive move for that club. PS, I hate em, but have a likeing for Trent Barrett.
Expect they will be a club on the up.
Expect we will be too!!

RedVDave

First Grade
New coach Anthony Griffin believes the recruitment of two experienced forwards would complete a roster capable of ensuring the Dragons celebrate their 100th season in 2021 with a return to the finals.

Griffin, who will oversee the club’s return to training on November 17, aims to focus on developing the young talent within St George Illawarra’s catchment area but he is looking to replace Test forwards Tyson Frizell and James Graham next season.

Josh McGuire, Joe Ofahengaue and Jack Bird are among the players linked with the Dragons and Griffin said negotiations were happening behind the scenes with rival clubs that he hoped would result in some new recruits arriving in Wollongong before the end of the year.

"It is great to see Josh Kerr get a start in the Origin, that will be good for his confidence, but we also want to bring a couple of experienced people into the club to replace what has gone,"Griffin said.

"Then, it is all about backing our youth and building from within.

"We have got some great outside backs - young guys like Cody Ramsey and obviously Zac Lomax, who is in the Origin side at the moment - so there will be a bit of a focus on building from within but in the short term we would like to get a couple more experienced forwards into the pack."

The Dragons will next season celebrate the 100th anniversary of St George’s admission to the premiership in 1921 and Griffin said he wanted to make the finals to commemorate the centenary year.

"I think we have got a list that is capable of doing that so we are not here to rebuild or ask for time," Griffin said at the launch of the centenary plans at St George Leagues Club.

"We need to perform from day one and that will be my responsibility and the players from the time we get together."

Ben Hunt is going to be charged with directing the team around, and Griffin said he was now one of the most experienced playmakers in the NRL following the departures of Cooper Cronk, Johnathan Thurston and James Maloney in recent seasons.

Lomax, Ramsey, fullback Matt Dufty, outside backs Max and Mat Feagai, lock Jackson Ford and prop Blake Lawrie are all young talent with potential for improvement, he added.

"Something that I am really passionate about here is just to build something that lasts, something that is resilient and something that is home-grown as much as we can do," Griffin said.

"There is always going to have to be some strategic recruitment but for this club and this brand I think it is important that we try to build as much as we can from within.

"I think we are starting to see that already with Ramsey, the Feagai twins and Ford, and guys like Dufty and Lomax, who are already established, and Lawrie.

"At the top end, I think Ben Hunt is a genuine playmaker in the game who can get the team to the highest levels.

"Cronk’s gone, Thurston’s gone, Maloney’s gone … there is a lot of good playmakers gone out of the game so it is time for guys like Ben and Cherry-Evans to be the leading playmakers in the competition. I think Ben has got the potential to do that."

Meanwhile, Griffin said listening to former Prime Minister John Howard talk about his lifelong support of the Dragons made him realise the significance of the club's history and the responsibility he has taken on as coach.

The centenary launch was attended by a host of former players, including John Riley, Craig Young, Steve Edge, Ricky Walford, Brad Mackay, Mark Gasnier, Ben Creagh, Ben Hornby, Dean Young and Jason Nightingale.

Key features of the centenary throughout 2021 will include:

• A centenary book written by respected author and Dragons historian Geoff Armstrong;
  • Four new additions to be inducted into the "Legend’s Walk" at Kogarah;
  • A museum to be opened within St George Leagues Club;
  • The naming of the Dragons Team of the Century.
From the NRL app.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
New coach Anthony Griffin believes the recruitment of two experienced forwards would complete a roster capable of ensuring the Dragons celebrate their 100th season in 2021 with a return to the finals.

Griffin, who will oversee the club’s return to training on November 17, aims to focus on developing the young talent within St George Illawarra’s catchment area but he is looking to replace Test forwards Tyson Frizell and James Graham next season.

Josh McGuire, Joe Ofahengaue and Jack Bird are among the players linked with the Dragons and Griffin said negotiations were happening behind the scenes with rival clubs that he hoped would result in some new recruits arriving in Wollongong before the end of the year.

"It is great to see Josh Kerr get a start in the Origin, that will be good for his confidence, but we also want to bring a couple of experienced people into the club to replace what has gone,"Griffin said.

"Then, it is all about backing our youth and building from within.

"We have got some great outside backs - young guys like Cody Ramsey and obviously Zac Lomax, who is in the Origin side at the moment - so there will be a bit of a focus on building from within but in the short term we would like to get a couple more experienced forwards into the pack."

The Dragons will next season celebrate the 100th anniversary of St George’s admission to the premiership in 1921 and Griffin said he wanted to make the finals to commemorate the centenary year.

"I think we have got a list that is capable of doing that so we are not here to rebuild or ask for time," Griffin said at the launch of the centenary plans at St George Leagues Club.

"We need to perform from day one and that will be my responsibility and the players from the time we get together."

Ben Hunt is going to be charged with directing the team around, and Griffin said he was now one of the most experienced playmakers in the NRL following the departures of Cooper Cronk, Johnathan Thurston and James Maloney in recent seasons.

Lomax, Ramsey, fullback Matt Dufty, outside backs Max and Mat Feagai, lock Jackson Ford and prop Blake Lawrie are all young talent with potential for improvement, he added.

"Something that I am really passionate about here is just to build something that lasts, something that is resilient and something that is home-grown as much as we can do," Griffin said.

"There is always going to have to be some strategic recruitment but for this club and this brand I think it is important that we try to build as much as we can from within.

"I think we are starting to see that already with Ramsey, the Feagai twins and Ford, and guys like Dufty and Lomax, who are already established, and Lawrie.

"At the top end, I think Ben Hunt is a genuine playmaker in the game who can get the team to the highest levels.

"Cronk’s gone, Thurston’s gone, Maloney’s gone … there is a lot of good playmakers gone out of the game so it is time for guys like Ben and Cherry-Evans to be the leading playmakers in the competition. I think Ben has got the potential to do that."

Meanwhile, Griffin said listening to former Prime Minister John Howard talk about his lifelong support of the Dragons made him realise the significance of the club's history and the responsibility he has taken on as coach.

The centenary launch was attended by a host of former players, including John Riley, Craig Young, Steve Edge, Ricky Walford, Brad Mackay, Mark Gasnier, Ben Creagh, Ben Hornby, Dean Young and Jason Nightingale.

Key features of the centenary throughout 2021 will include:

• A centenary book written by respected author and Dragons historian Geoff Armstrong;
  • Four new additions to be inducted into the "Legend’s Walk" at Kogarah;
  • A museum to be opened within St George Leagues Club;
  • The naming of the Dragons Team of the Century.
From the NRL app.
That language doesn’t sound too much like Hunt and Dufty are getting offloaded..

Gareth67

First Grade
Faamuasilli is one forward , so there is another yet to be signed . Hopefully we will be hearing something on this front very soon .

getsmarty

Immortal
Griffin 'not asking for time' as he rejects need to rebuild Dragons
Adam Pengilly
October 29, 2020 — 8.47pm
Leave a comment

New St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin wants to sign two experienced forwards before Christmas but has boldly claimed that the Dragons don't need a rebuild and will climb the NRL ladder on the back of home-grown talent.

Griffin, who will take charge of Dragons pre-season training next month, has urged Ben Hunt to be one of the "leading playmakers in the competition" when he returns from his State of Origin stint with Queensland.

NSW Blues coach has spoken on the NRL's decision to scrap, then reinstate the national anthem for the State of Origin series.

Speaking at the launch of the St George District Rugby League Football Club's centenary celebrations on Thursday, Griffin flagged the prospect of more signings during the NRL's silly season.

The Dragons have been linked with Brisbane pair Jack Bird and Joe Ofahengaue but have failed to reach an agreement yet with the Broncos over a release for the former Origin players.

Griffin landed his first major signing when Roosters forward Poasa Faamausili signed a two-year deal earlier this month, partially replacing the void left by Newcastle-bound Tyson Frizell and James Graham.

"It's that trading time of the year at the moment," Griffin said. "A lot of clubs are in that mode. We've got a little bit of cap space at the moment and we'll be looking to add a couple more before Christmas.

5be293735e271cf8c10bd6b593df0adb682e9c5a

Former Prime Minister John Howard at the St George District Rugby League Football Club's centenary launch.Credit:John Veage

"There will be a big focus on building from within, but in the short term it would be great to get a couple of experienced forwards into the pack."

Griffin was even more bullish about his intention for the Dragons to be a finals challenger in 2021 after bombing out of the play-offs well before the end of the regular season in the last two years.

A large part of that will be determined by unlocking the key to Hunt, who he previously coached at the Broncos, after the 30-year-old spent time at hooker during the 2020 campaign.

"[Cooper] Cronk's gone, [Jonathan] Thurston's gone, [James] Maloney's gone ... there's a lot of good playmakers gone out of the game," Griffin said. "It's time for guys like Ben and [Daly] Cherry-Evans to be the leading playmakers in the competition. I think Ben's got the potential to do that as well.

'We're not here to rebuild, or to ask for time, we're here to perform from day one.'

Anthony Griffin
"The identity of this club can be built from within. There's enough there to be able to produce our own team in years to come.

"But we want to make play-offs, we want to play finals football, and every club looks to do that at the start of the year and I think we've got a list capable of doing that.

"We're not here to rebuild, or to ask for time, we're here to perform from day one. That will be my responsibility and the players from the time we get together."

Griffin joined luminaries such as former Prime Minister John Howard, NSW One Nation leader Mark Latham, St George District Rugby League Football Club chairman Craig Young and a host of former players including John Riley, Steve Edge, Ricky Walford, Brad Mackay, Mark Gasnier, Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh, Dean Young and Jason Nightingale at the launch.

c9a2b7a35e77f4dae603cd56ea316bdbee3a8d00

Ricky Walford, Craig Young, Matt Dufty and Mark Gasnier at the St George District Rugby League Football Club's centenary launch.Credit:John Veage

The club will announce a series of events to commemorate next year's centenary in coming months, which will include the selection of a Team of the Century. It's anticipated the celebrations will be scheduled around the NRL draw.

"This club has a very rich history and a very strong local level of support," Howard said. "It's emphatically embraced by the local community.

"It has to be a mixture of nostalgia and looking to the future. You're entitled, when you've been such an extraordinary successful club as St George, to think of the past glories, but the people who run the club now know you can't live on past glories. I'm looking forward to the next season."

Said former Dragons forward Mackay: "I couldn't have wanted to play for any other team. It's mind boggling to think the club is 100 years old, and the game is in really good hands."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/gr...-need-to-rebuild-dragons-20201029-p569um.html

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Interesting that he mentions Dufty as one with potential for improvement along with our other young players which is good to hear. No mention of Clune though, which probably means Ben Hunt will be his first choice halfback.
No mention of Sullivan.. Does that make Norman 5/8

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Good news to me..he is going to back Hunt at 7 initially and get him back to where he should be including right head space.
I dont blame Ben I would not have listened to and wanted to follow McInnovations's game plans either
Oh, I didn’t realise he had one!

Reactions: jak

possm

Coach
Good point..but I will forgive Hook for this article as he talked about Sullo the other day on the radio but no Corey.
What did Griffin say about Sullivan on the radio?

I hope the two players they are chasing are Crichton and Bird. No talk about De Belin but he did mention Ford as a lock.

If Griffin believes he can scatter Hunt's demons and develop our young backline to first grade level within a short period of time, then I am happy to go with that. Right now I have great trust in Griffin's ability and judgement.

BLM01

First Grade

I hope the two players they are chasing are Crichton and Bird. No talk about De Belin but he did mention Ford as a lock.

If Griffin believes he can scatter Hunt's demons and develop our young backline to first grade level within a short period of time, then I am happy to go with that. Right now I have great trust in Griffin's ability and judgement.
He indicated that he has been reading every day this forum and certainly takes particular notice to @possm comments
He acknowledged your persistence with pushing Hunt & Norman to reggies and Sullo /Dufty as replacements and then there was some interference and I think he said...”you are onto something there” or could be “you are on something” could not quite hear.
Then the cloud cleared and
He then mentioned Jayden Sullivan with others as young men with a bright future at our club.
Now only one of the above statements is true I’ll let you work out which one :thinking::wink:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I would love Griffin to take this current squad with a couple of forward changes to the finals. That will then clearly show how bad a coach Mary was and that under proper guidance they should have been in the finals the last few years.

Looks like Griffin has trust in the pathways system unlike Mary who just wants to put his faith in has-beens.

I will be happy with Chrichton and JDB as the 2 forwards Griffin is seeking. Joe O as the next one of the rank if JDB is not included as part of Griffin's 2 forwards he seeks. As for Bird. His price tag is way to high for an injury prone player. Saints have wasted big coin on JDB the past couple of years, it would be good not to have a huge chunk of the cap wasted for once on a player injured or out due to a court case. Finally Saints can be on a level playing field with the others next season.

nrlnrl

First Grade

No-one, including Anthony Griffin knows about JDB's playing future. The court case is due to begin Monday - could take a few weeks.