What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 T20 WORLD CUP in UAE and Oman, Oct-Nov

JJ

Immortal
Not so much this match

Ian Bishop when analysing the deck at start of play said this deck had only been used 3 times. Batting side won twice.
For those of us that watched the whole game , there was zero movement from ball 1. Was a batting better, kiwis were just to slow in the first 10 overs , see Guptill and no Conway.
dunno, good toss to win I think - but regardless you thoroughly outplayed us - not much more to it than that.

Some fine T20 batting though - Williamson, Davey, Marsh - and from the quicks Hazelwood and Boult were excellent... I see Starc set some records despite Guppy's plod. Sodhi found out, he flatters to deceive

Last edited by a moderator:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Before the tournament you wouldn't dream that guys like Stoinis, Marsh and Wade would have contributed to sudden death wins. This format is really made for them.
May they deliver again next year and beyond 🦬🦨:ship:

Davey was badly out of form too

simmo1

First Grade
Finch should be man of the series for winning the toss 6 times out of 7, including the semi and final.

Yeehah!! Woke to the news that we have finally cracked a T20 World Cup on the back of the oft maligned Mitch Marsh's pulversizing 77*. The big West Aussie has always been a good white ball cricketer and has proven it now on the biggest stage. Lever's ally, Davey Warner has again showed he is not a white ball spent force. Earlier Josh Hazlewood had strangled the Kiwi batting despite an exceptional 85 by their always in form skipper Williamson. How is it possible to only concede four runs an over in T20. Conversely Starc gave the Kiwis 15 an over. Surely this has been's white ball career is done and dusted. Same as his red ball needs to be.

Last edited:
Ok who do we jettison from our white ball squad to prepare for next years back to back T20 WC and the next ODI WC. Surely Maxwell is first cab off the rank. Again the 'big show' failed to turn up to a major tournament. Barely got out of a canter. Starc follows him as does Wade. Inglis is a better keeper and bat. Finch is not the player he was while I'd like to see Steve Smith concentrate the remainder of his career on what he does best, Tests. Give Marnus his white ball role. Cummins was below his best too.

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
I'd cut Finch and Starc loose from our white ball squad for a start.

Maxwell padded his stats, but coming in when the back was pretty much broken didn't really aid in keeping has spot.

Cummins had a slow start, but stepped up when it came crunch time.

Other than a handful of standout performances Australia did not set the world on fire. Some guys simply did not turn up. Surely CA must see now that there is a need for a white ball changing of the guard with an eye to the future. There is a back to back T20 at home next year where we will defend our title. Do we want to go into that carrying passengers and guys that are passed it. So who stays, who goes and who comes in.

I'd cut Finch and Starc loose from our white ball squad for a start.

Maxwell padded his stats, but coming in when the back was pretty much broken didn't really aid in keeping has spot.

Cummins had a slow start, but stepped up when it came crunch time.
Where did the Maxwell reputation as a matchwinner spring from. Is there a more over rated cricketer. Failed in past world cups.. failed here. Did not make the WC Top 50 batting list, neither did Stoinis or Wade. Am giving Stoin a pass mark as I dont see a better finisher putting up his hand.. tho I reckon Marsh could do that but CA wants him at #3 . I believe Finch is not quite done and have we ever had a better white ball skipper. So I say keep him at least till next years home WC .

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Other than a handful of standout performances Australia did not set the world on fire. Some guys simply did not turn up. Surely CA must see now that there is a need for a white ball changing of the guard with an eye to the future. There is a back to back T20 at home next year where we will defend our title. Do we want to go into that carrying passengers and guys that are passed it. So who stays, who goes and who comes in.
I'm staying, happy for you to go.

Bazal

Post Whore
Nice to have the win for the trophy cabinet and to shut up the trolls in India who seem to think this is the pinnacle of the game but really, it's only T20

I actually think the slower decks helped us. We're still not the kind of side to regularly crack 200+ or even 220+ like England/India can when they fire up. The decks brought them back to the field a bit IMO

blaza88z

Coach
I'm not buying this "they only won because they won the toss" crap, sure the stats say the team batting 2nd has a statistical advantage but it wasn't like we scraped in, 200 was on the cards there. Smithy, Stoinis and Wade didn't even get a hit.

Also Williamson was dropped early on by Hazlewood, he takes that catch in hindsight things look far more grim from a NZ perspective. Williamson's innings though was unbelievable, that was proper batting, not smash it hard as he could and watch it fly, he was manipulating the field superbly. At innings break I felt like chasing 170 in a T20 final, put it this way.. we weren't going to do it by chance, we rightfully won the title.

Not because we won the toss, because we were the better team.