What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

roofromoz

First Grade
Hmm, bit disappointing that the Dolphins first jersey will probably feature some weird piping or panels that Classic always seems incorporate into their jerseys

I reckon O'Neills would have done a good job. Can't speak for Newcastle fans but the PENRITH gear has been pretty good, loved the throwback this year with the warm up shirt.

GAZF

First Grade
View attachment 55290
I sent them this last year, maybe got them thinking of changing it... not sure it was for the better, there are certain clubs that can get away with the minimalistic logo, like Rabbitohs white rabbit or roosters red chook, but most are pretty shithouse if they go simple... (looking at you bronx)

The better logos are the ones that show some history. st george comes to mind
This isn't the answer either. The hodgepodge of GCRL identities existed for less time than the Titans did. Its just not worth dragging up as part of their core brand.

I don't mind that they've focused on the helmet. They've just gone about it the wrong way. The detailing is too thin and will get lost in smaller applications. The shapes are too geometric and "safe" for the style they're trying to achieve. The wordmark is unbalanced and cuts off the natural V that the shoulders could have formed. There's bugger all gold in a logo for a team named the "Gold Coast" - where their general branding says "sun, sand and surf" their logo says "dull Greek underworld" - this only widens the disconnect between the team's location and their choice of mascot.

@greenBV4 has shown that the logo stands out better in gold, and going with double-blue requires it to be used on a gold background in the future (which they might be ok with). The original logo (the helmet part) managed to pull this off with a thick outline, I think they probably should have stuck with this approach.

DIEHARDTITAN

Juniors
There's bugger all gold in a logo for a team named the "Gold Coast" - where their general branding says "sun, sand and surf" their logo says "dull Greek underworld" - this only widens the disconnect between the team's location and their choice of mascot.

@greenBV4 has shown that the logo stands out better in gold, and going with double-blue requires it to be used on a gold background in the future (which they might be ok with). The original logo (the helmet part) managed to pull this off with a thick outline, I think they probably should have stuck with this approach.
Exactly. I can't believe it's primarily blue when I think most fans are used to and expect gold. It's in the name. It's in the branding that they say but don't act on it.

The blue logo may be on the chest on a gold strip. But will that be the case every year? How will it look on other blue backgrounds like a blue polo? It really looks weird on their facebook page with a blue background.

Swapping the blue for gold makes a good improvement. They should just release another version and save some face. Pretend it was all part of the plan.

Remember when the Broncos made that puzzling attempt at adding blue to their colours? Their chess piece horse was originally navy blue but they eventually changed it to maroon.

Dawesy76

Juniors
Nrl jerseys on Instagram posted this. It looks I dunno. I wanna say busy, but you couldn’t say that, but it just looks like it’s got a lot going on while also looking ehhhh.

Last edited by a moderator:

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Nrl jerseys on Instagram posted this. It looks I dunno. I wanna say busy, but you couldn’t say that, but it just looks like it’s got a lot going on while also looking ehhhh.
Yeah, kinda busy but boring at the same time. I don’t hate it, but it’s pretty underwhelming

jershschnerf

Juniors
I see how it pays homage to the "Beetson" jersey while adding some newer elements. It works. I like it fine without being overly inspired by it. Hopefully the alt does something more daring than a simple colour swap.

Craegus

Juniors

So they are not the Redcliffe Dolphins, but their first jersey is going to be based on an iconic Redcliffe Dolphins design.

Yep, just give up on the whole The (insert generic name here) Dolphins and call yourself the Redcliffe Dolphins already.

Craegus

Juniors
No geographical identifier, and red jersey/white sleeves.

Must be Arsenal fans.

Arsenal is actually a locational name. Granted it isn't a geographical name and they no longer play anywhere near the location in London, it still refers to an actual location.

yakstorm

First Grade
If it is legit, I wonder if it's their main kit or just a heritage kit.

As @jjershschnerf points out, it's very Beetson era.

images

It would be a nice nid to their heritage.

Nuke

Staff member
I'd have had a gold / yellow keyline around the logo (presently it is white), as for a club that gold features rather prominently, it barely makes it into the logo. A keyline surrounding the logo wouldn't affect it on that jersey, as it sits on the gold section, but on other backgrounds, gold would barely be seen.

I do, however, like club logos that only feature the club's colours. I've been an advocate for a long time for this. Gold Coast ditching black, grey, and (I suppose) that deep yellow and only utilising their colours is fantastic. Canberra last year ditching the black likewise. I said at the time that I'd wished when Newcastle updated their logo that the black would have been replaced by a dark blue. It seems like such a wasted opportunity to me. I've mocked it up at the time and it looks great.

Adding to my previous comment, this is my mockup of what I'd have done to include more gold / yellow ... particularly for the benefit sitting on a dark background: a gold border (instead of the current white border).

Also, I've done a quick golden helmet version as an alternative for the official blue helmet, so again, the logo can stand out better on either a dark or light background / jersey.

Gold Coast Titans 2022 MOCKUP.jpgGold Coast Titans 2022 MOCKUP v2.jpg

Loose Cannon

Bench
If it is legit, I wonder if it's their main kit or just a heritage kit.

As @jjershschnerf points out, it's very Beetson era.

images

It would be a nice nid to their heritage.
Holy Shyte.

Artie Beetson in high shorts. Before my time, but those were the days.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Arsenal is actually a locational name. Granted it isn't a geographical name and they no longer play anywhere near the location in London, it still refers to an actual location.
You're really stretching the definition of location.

Arsenal were a works team, or company team, and get their name from the fact that they were founded by workers whom worked for the Royal Arsenal.

Calling that a 'locational name' is a massive stretch, sure the Royal Arsenal has a location, but they aren't named for the geography or it's location, and their initial players and supporters didn't support the club because of it's location. They are named for the fact that they worked in that industry and they wanted to represent that aspect of their identity.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Adding to my previous comment, this is my mockup of what I'd have done to include more gold / yellow ... particularly for the benefit sitting on a dark background: a gold border (instead of the current white border).

Also, I've done a quick golden helmet version as an alternative for the official blue helmet, so again, the logo can stand out better on either a dark or light background / jersey.

View attachment 55315View attachment 55314
The gold helmet is 11/10!!! What a difference!!!

Craegus

Juniors
You're really stretching the definition of location.

Arsenal were a works team, or company team, and get their name from the fact that they were founded by workers whom worked for the Royal Arsenal.

Calling that a 'locational name' is a massive stretch, sure the Royal Arsenal has a location, but they aren't named for the geography or it's location, and their initial players and supporters didn't support the club because of it's location. They are named for the fact that they worked in that industry and they wanted to represent that aspect of their identity.

I never said it was a geographical location. But a business that is known for where it is located can be referred to as a location especially as there was only one of them. So if the team was named after the Royal Arsenal people knew that the team was based in the South of London. Granted they were not located there for very long, but it still refers to a physical location.

Compared to the Dolphins who could be based anywhere on Earth as Dolphins exist everywhere there can be open water.

Latest posts