What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

flippikat

Bench
J

Just pick a colour that contrasts starkly with the team that your main kit is clashing with, Its hardly rocket science! If you play in blue and white, here's an idea don't have a white and blue alternate kit!
Good in theory, but the sporting culture in Australia/New Zealand leans towards away/alternate jerseys being "a riff on the teams primary colors" - whether that's simply inverting the design like the Eels, doing a different design with emphasis on the other color like the Dragons, or in an unusual case switching between light & dark trim elements like the Rabbitohs.

We just don't have the established tradition of *totally different* color sets for home & alternate like you find in the UK. The Panthers are an exception.

That's not to say it can't happen here - Penrith are proof that it can be made to work - but it's got to be an effort by the club(s) concerned to say "THIS is our alternate color set" & make it something that resonates with their supporter base.

MugaB

Coach
Good in theory, but the sporting culture in Australia/New Zealand leans towards away/alternate jerseys being "a riff on the teams primary colors" - whether that's simply inverting the design like the Eels, doing a different design with emphasis on the other color like the Dragons, or in an unusual case switching between light & dark trim elements like the Rabbitohs.

We just don't have the established tradition of *totally different* color sets for home & alternate like you find in the UK. The Panthers are an exception.

That's not to say it can't happen here - Penrith are proof that it can be made to work - but it's got to be an effort by the club(s) concerned to say "THIS is our alternate color set" & make it something that resonates with their supporter base.
Ive seen a few posts way back when about the color rush kits, Adelaide rams had the gold jersey, Cowboys should have the grey jersey, Penrith with the pink jersey, etc

Reflector

Juniors
I've never understood this gripe

Most teams wear a recognisable design most weeks. Even clubs like Manly this season who've worn a plethora of jerseys still generally retain a core identity when having these one-offs.

Maybe a decade or so ago this was a concern but most clubs have moved to a much clearer identity lately, I don't see one-off jerseys as that much of an issue now
It just reeks of "we'll happily whore out our brand to for (insert latest trendy cause) or for the sake of $$$". As if there aren't enough sponsors on every inch of the players' uniform as is?

You don't see the AFL rolling over for such stunts on such a regular basis. I have no issue with clubs playing in specially coloured socks for certain causes, or teams playing with a poppy icon above the logos on ANZAC day, there's a world of difference between that and changing the entire team uniform for a one-off.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I've never understood this gripe

Most teams wear a recognisable design most weeks. Even clubs like Manly this season who've worn a plethora of jerseys still generally retain a core identity when having these one-offs.

Maybe a decade or so ago this was a concern but most clubs have moved to a much clearer identity lately, I don't see one-off jerseys as that much of an issue now
I think the problem is that one off jerseys are getting too common. If you have half a dozen one off jerseys then it all adds up.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Good in theory, but the sporting culture in Australia/New Zealand leans towards away/alternate jerseys being "a riff on the teams primary colors"
You know how you change that cultural practice? You simply stop participating in it...

After a while the accepted cultural norms will shift, then you don't have an issue anymore. I honestly doubt it'd even take that much effort either, all it'd take would be for a club to create a popular and commercially successful design that's completely different from their normal jersey design, then hey presto, a bunch of the others clubs will jump on the trend in pursuit of their own successful "contrast" jersey.

I mean, all you are presenting is the same tired old appeal to tradition that is used as an excuse to justify all the backwards practices within the sport. As with all things, just because we've always done something one way, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best way of doing it.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
You know how you change that cultural practice? You simply stop participating in it...

After a while the accepted cultural norms will shift, then you don't have an issue anymore. I honestly doubt it'd even take that much effort either, all it'd take would be for a club to create a popular and commercially successful design that's completely different from their normal jersey design, then hey presto, a bunch of the others clubs will jump on the trend in pursuit of their own successful "contrast" jersey.

I mean, all you are presenting is the same tired old appeal to tradition that is used as an excuse to justify all the backwards practices within the sport. As with all things, just because we've always done something one way, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best way of doing it.
You have a good point there - and that's pretty much what Penrith have done with the pink alternate, and it's worked remarkably well.

Then you have the Knights, who came up with their mining-inspired jersey.. which they've tended to wear against the Tigers - the only NRL team with orange in their main jersey color-set.

IMO decisions like that undermine the efforts to create strikingly different alternates. Thankfully, the Knights seem to be wearing it against other teams recently (Raiders this year, for example) - but they're yet to take the jump to do it regularly against the likes of the Roosters & Manly where the jersey clash is more pressing.

Colk

First Grade
It was a bulldogs home game, yet the bulldogs wore their away kit, they all must have thought the contrast would be better if both teams wore their away kits, again l l these blue teams need to make a jeresy that is predominantly one of their unique colors within their set of colors... cowboys should have a gunmetal grey colored jersey, no one else in the league uses that color, just as storm uses purple, and tigers should use orange, penrith uses pink, roosters should have a red jersey, warriors in a green jersey, the more teams use a unique color within their colors the less clashes will happen as the away team will be able the switch to it when both teams are blue vs blue

Cowboys should have an away jersey like one of these
View attachment 64793View attachment 64796View attachment 64797
That’s awesome

Colk

First Grade
Ive seen a few posts way back when about the color rush kits, Adelaide rams had the gold jersey, Cowboys should have the grey jersey, Penrith with the pink jersey, etc

Interesting. Do you remember when it was?

MugaB

Coach
Interesting. Do you remember when it was?
Adelaide rams played Newcastle knights in 1998 sometime, they wore a gold jersey which is pretty plain but was really well thought out, knowing theyd need an away jersey that would be used against the knights and anyone else they'd be "clashing" with

images.jpeg-118.jpg

Colk

First Grade
Adelaide rams played Newcastle knights in 1998 sometime, they wore a gold jersey which is pretty plain but was really well thought out, knowing theyd need an away jersey that would be used against the knights and anyone else they'd be "clashing" with

View attachment 64888

I remember that now. Well thought out. If the Rams were to ever come back that would/should be their alternate jersey

macavity

Referee
I remember Joey having a field day that game.

Good times.

I remember it was back before the redevelopment, and I had about 5 schooners in the excalibur club with my old man before the game (I'm a cheap drunk). Actual game a bit fuzzy.

Latest posts