What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Knights Rep Players

Jono078

Referee
KP’s head knocks are becoming a proper concern now. Cleary could be suspended according to some reports.
I didn’t think there was much in it. But these days if the head makes any contact with the shoulder it’s at least a penalty.

Regardless of Cleary’s penalty, the concern is this is happening a bit too frequently to Ponga and there’s concern over his ability to make it through a game now. First things first he has to get his health right and give his body and head a rest - that much is clear.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I didn’t think there was much in it. But these days if the head makes any contact with the shoulder it’s at least a penalty.

Regardless of Cleary’s penalty, the concern is this is happening a bit too frequently to Ponga and there’s concern over his ability to make it through a game now. First things first he has to get his health right and give his body and head a rest - that much is clear.
I would not be surprised in the least if KP goes to Rugby Union afterall, in order to preserve his career. He is so heavily targeted.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I would not be surprised in the least if KP goes to Rugby Union afterall, in order to preserve his career. He is so heavily targeted.

Part of me wants this to happen. I’m generally disgusted by the anti-Ponga agenda that is run around this forum and elsewhere, including from so-called Knights supporters.

I’ve read sh*t along the lines of “gee Ponga’s soft” and “he deserves it the cat” after he’s copped grub shots to the head.

No matter what he does he’s on a hiding to nothing.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Part of me wants this to happen. I’m generally disgusted by the anti-Ponga agenda that is run around this forum and elsewhere, including from so-called Knights supporters.

I’ve read sh*t along the lines of “gee Ponga’s soft” and “he deserves it the cat” after he’s copped grub shots to the head.

Ponga is the best player to be at the Knights in a very very long time, no way known we make the 8 the last 2 years without him.

The kid has the talent to be anything he wants.

Having said the above Ponga's 1 on 1 attempts at tackle ( if you can call them that ) are an embrassment and indefensible.

Frederick

Staff member

Ah the good ol' "so-called knights supporters" line. Love when those with red and blue goggles spit that one out when it becomes apparent that people have differing opinions to theirs about the team.

He's our highest paid player. He is therefore expected to play like our highest paid player should. Instead he catches bombs on his arse, spends half the game standing in front of the ruck, can't position himself correctly in defense, and has such a poor defensive technique that he knocks himself out more often than not and is at risk of being medically retired early in his career.

When he's on his game, he's as good as anyone in the comp. But those games are too few and far between for a marquee player

Jono078

Referee

He’s locked in here long term now so I want to see the best, healthiest version of him. I’d also say we’ve seen him try pretty hard since re-signing.

But like any player, and perhaps especially him considering his pay packet, you have to have certain expectations.

If you think he should be immune to that or he does everything perfect then… well I don’t know what to tell you.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
If you think he should be immune to that or he does everything perfect then… well I don’t know what to tell you.
when a player is getting paid around 100K a month, every month of the year just to play a game, then they can expect criticism - the end.

Ponga should be spending every waking moment living and breathing footy with Joey and Slater on speed dial, and calling The Chief for guidance on how to lead a Knights footy team. My guess is he does none of those.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Is he targeted anymore than the better fullbacks playing the game? He’s easily the
Most heavily targeted fullback in the game. Cos our shithouse attack makes him a prime target. Take Him out and you beat us.
However having said that you basically have to turn up and you beat us. But I have grave fears for the kid’s longevity. If I am
Wrong then great. Cos i sure as hell wish to be on this one.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Most heavily targeted fullback in the game. Cos our shithouse attack makes him a prime target. Take Him out and you beat us.
However having said that you basically have to turn up and you beat us. But I have grave fears for the kid’s longevity. If I am
Wrong then great. Cos i sure as hell wish to be on this one.

Yeah, I think a few of his concussions have occurred when defending. Quite a few. He puts himself in awful positions and often tackles with poor technique.

He’s not heavily targeted when returning the ball as he rarely returns it compared to the better fullbacks. He often catches the ball falling backwards onto the ground - again not as big a target as the better fullbacks in that part of the game either.

Apey

Staff member
I would agree with him being close to if not the most targeted fullback. Largely because have no other real threats in the spine but also because teams do know what he's capable of.

Spot On

Coach
Same thing last year when at Souths. Missed something like 25 tackles in the Origin series. Many said it was due to marking Latrell.

What’s the excuse so far this year? Simple Jack and then Burton tearing him apart as well.

They are alarming deficiencies for a player at Origin level that have been ignored and glossed over for years. Absolutely bizarre the way he is protected.

Hopefully Latrell gets a jersey in Game 3. Will be wonderfull to watch seeing as the Great Gags is a lock due QLD’s loyalty policy.

Jono078

Referee
Same thing last year when at Souths. Missed something like 25 tackles in the Origin series. Many said it was due to marking Latrell.

What’s the excuse so far this year? Simple Jack and then Burton tearing him apart as well.

They are alarming deficiencies for a player at Origin level that have been ignored and glossed over for years. Absolutely bizarre the way he is protected.

Hopefully Latrell gets a jersey in Game 3. Will be wonderfull to watch seeing as the Great Gags is a lock due QLD’s loyalty policy.
I want to say Gagai has been superman as a winger in origin. His defence as a centre at that level just isn't up to scratch, or NRL level really...

Latest posts