What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
Agreed and what a weekend it`s going to be; kicking off with Women`s SOO on Friday and finishing with Men`s SOO on Sunday night.
Isn`t it great that we have a Test match of the highest calibre that doesn`t have to involve Australia any more. That Kiwi vs. Tonga match should bring the house down.
Tonga was a gift that fell into the arlc lap. If they handle it properly it can become as good as origin.

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
The nrl representative weekend will add an extra 3 million ? to our total viewers.
One of the reasons our FTA ratings have been a bit soft the last couple of years has been the Broncos` poor form, if they can keep up their current run of form you can add another couple of mill to the ratings.

I should have added between 2017 and 2019 the Broncos were by far League`s most watched team, aided by the fact that they get so many FTA games. Surprisingly the third most watched team - despite having far less FTA matches over that period - was NQ Cowboys. In fact the most watched game in the 2017 - 2019 period was the 2017 early season derby between the Broncos and the Cowboys which attracted 1.2m viewers.
You can add the Cowboys to the Broncos as underperforming teams of the last couple of years that have been a drag on our ratings figures.

The_Wookie

Bench
For anyone wondering how the Union is going on Stan/9 - from their annual report

In this our first year of our new relationship, viewership across all professional areas of the game was significantly increased year on year. This was evidenced by an increase of our television audience by an average of 244% on a YoY comparison.

Super Rugby AU’s weekly average cumulative audience was 207,302 across Stan Sport and 9 GEM, with weekly viewing peaking for the Super Rugby AU final. The Super Rugby Trans-Tasman competition had an weekly average cumulative audience of 177,432 across Stan Sport and 9 GEM.

The Super Rugby AU Final saw the television audience peak nationally at 464,000 during the dramatic final stages, with the average audience up 232% from the 2020 Final, which was also played between the two sides.

The two Bledisloe Cup matches played in New Zealand recorded higher audience numbers on 9 GEM in 2021 than in 2020 with 420,000 and 452,000 tuning in respectively for the games on free to air broadcast with an equal if not greater audience also tuning in on Stan Sport.

Over the rest of The Rugby Championship series played in Australia, the average cumulative audience per Test was 736,019 on Stan Sport and 9 GEM

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Looks like last nights Broncos vs. Sharks match will be another 1m+ viewers outcome.
I think that makes about 5x1million plus viewer games for the NRL in the first eight rounds.
In 2018 the NRL had 5 (1m+) games for whole regular season and in 2019 we had 2 for the same period.
The League is rating as strong if not stronger than ever.
I think the Broncos` improvement is coming on the back of their pack finally starting to show a bit of mongrel, combined of course with Adam Reynolds. Hopefully we are going to start to see the Broncos` return to the ratings juggernaut they were a few years ago.
Much has been made of the Dolphins recruitment but I believe they are starting to assemble a formidable pack. Bennett gets them firing, and there is some very good players in there, the rest will flow from that. Thus I am expecting another strong Queensland TV ratings team to join the competition next year.
Late edit : Expect another one next week, Broncos vs. Souths.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
All games over a million up until last friday - AFL ANzac day making it without consolidation. ANZAC Day Eve and NRL ANZAC Day will make it with consolidation.

Code
Round
Date
Day
Time
Home
Away
Cons 7 Total
AFL​
1​
16/03/22​
Wed​
1910​
Melbourne​
Western Bulldogs​
1,436,000​
AFL​
6​
25/04/22​
Mon​
1520​
Essendon​
Collingwood​
1,370,220*​
AFL​
2​
25/03/22​
Fri​
1950​
Sydney​
Geelong​
1,203,440​
NRL​
1​
10/03/22​
Thu​
2005​
Penrith​
Manly​
1,180,970​
NRL​
4​
01/04/22​
Fri​
2005​
Penrith​
South Sydney​
1,153,560​
AFL​
1​
18/03/22​
Fri​
1950​
St Kilda​
Collingwood​
1,153,460​
AFL​
4​
08/04/22​
Fri​
1950​
Geelong​
Brisbane​
1,132,280​
NRL​
1​
11/03/22​
Fri​
2005​
Brisbane​
South Sydney​
1,126,370​
AFL​
1​
17/03/22​
Thu​
1925​
Carlton​
Richmond​
1,105,560​
AFL​
5​
14/04/22​
Thu​
1940​
Brisbane​
Collingwood​
1,055,800​
NRL​
3​
25/03/22​
Fri​
2005​
South Sydney​
Sydney​
1,037,950​
AFL​
6​
22/04/22​
Fri​
1950​
GWS​
St Kilda​
1,034,120​
NRL​
5​
08/04/22​
Fri​
2005​
Brisbane​
Sydney​
1,028,730​
AFL​
5​
18/04/22​
Mon​
1520​
Hawthorn​
Geelong​
1,010,280​
NRL​
7​
22/04/22​
Fri​
1955​
Brisbane​
Canterbury​
1,006,820​

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
It appears BVOD is gradually trending upwards, Ch. 9 will be happy with that, I know my son in his dorm watched the whole St. George vs. Tigers on his laptop last weekend through BVOD.
Looks like Rabbitohs vs. Sea Eagles might just scrape over the 1m. mark as well by the look of those numbers last night.

Wb1234

Referee
Looks like last nights Broncos vs. Sharks match will be another 1m+ viewers outcome.
I think that makes about 5x1million plus viewer games for the NRL in the first eight rounds.
In 2018 the NRL had 5 (1m+) games for whole regular season and in 2019 we had 2 for the same period.
The League is rating as strong if not stronger than ever.
I think the Broncos` improvement is coming on the back of their pack finally starting to show a bit of mongrel, combined of course with Adam Reynolds. Hopefully we are going to start to see the Broncos` return to the ratings juggernaut they were a few years ago.
Much has been made of the Dolphins recruitment but I believe they are starting to assemble a formidable pack. Bennett gets them firing, and there is some very good players in there, the rest will flow from that. Thus I am expecting another strong Queensland TV ratings team to join the competition next year.
Late edit : Expect another one next week, Broncos vs. Souths.
It was an upset win for sure. They’ve been such a rabble since they sacked Bennett. At the exact same time the lions went from bleh to pretty good.

im not too fussed about the dolphins. Paying 1.2 million for ponga is dead set crazy. Maybe for cam Munster I can see it.

when Bennett set up the broncos and they basically signed all of the Queensland origin players it still took years for them to succeed. The only thing is the quicker the dolphins are successful the quicker we get team 18.

if the nrl keeps adding high rating teams while the afl doesn’t the nrl has to be in for a massive pay day one day when people realise the value in league

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
if the nrl keeps adding high rating teams while the afl doesn’t the nrl has to be in for a massive pay day one day when people realise the value in league
I couldn`t agree more, all the talk about their deal being bigger than ours, well let`s not forget we were the biggest code in Oz up to the Super League wars, and we will be again, ours is just a better game to watch.
It`s took V`landy`s 15years to knock Vic. racing off its` perch, I don`t think it will take him that long to do the same to fumbleball.

The_Wookie

Bench
I couldn`t agree more, all the talk about their deal being bigger than ours, well let`s not forget we were the biggest code in Oz up to the Super League wars, and we will be again, ours is just a better game to watch.
It`s took V`landy`s 15years to knock Vic. racing off its` perch, I don`t think it will take him that long to do the same to fumbleball.

On what basis were you the biggest code in oz prior to superleague.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
The AFL has always drawn higher crowds but there is no doubt from the late 80s til around 1995 the ARL was the dominant sporting code in virtually every other metric. Advertising and media exposure was light years ahead of the AFL at the time. It probably still would be today if we didn't implode with Super League.

Makes you wonder what could of been if it wasn't for the selfish interests of a few.

The_Wookie

Bench
The AFL has always drawn higher crowds but there is no doubt from the late 80s til around 1995 the ARL was the dominant sporting code in virtually every other metric. Advertising and media exposure was light years ahead of the AFL at the time. It probably still would be today if we didn't implode with Super League.

Makes you wonder what could of been if it wasn't for the selfish interests of a few.

I asked because its not reflected in the media rights at the time either - except from 1989-1992 - or the attendances, and Id bet not in revenue either - although I dont have the NSWRL Annual Reports of the time at hand. TV ratings were measured differently, and I dont have that data to hand either.

NSWRL​
1989​
48m for 5 years @ 9.6m per year (Tens deal collapsed after 1 year)​
1990​
19.5m for 3 years @ 6.5m per year (Nine took over from Ten, and sold them back NSWRL for 4m pa)​
1993​
70m for 7 years @ 10m per year years (Nine including paytv rights)​
V/AFL​
1987​
30m for 5 years @ 6m pa. (Seven)​
1992​
100m for 5 years @ 17m pa (Seven)​
1998​
120m for 3 years @ 40m pa (Seven)​

Wb1234

Referee
My thoughts exactly

when there was a fair competition between afl and rugby league, rugby league was number one by a long way. Then the super league war came around

afl is literally the Stephen Bradbury of Australian sport

once rugby league has the right leadership for long enough then it’s inevitable it will reclaim its mantle

literally 60 percent of australia are rugby league strongholds where afl is a minor sport.

afl can bs all it wants buts it minor in Sydney and Brisbane compared to league. Much the same as the storm as minor vs afl in Melbourne

then there also the nrl presence in New Zealand which never gets mentioned

an did course png and the pacific islands

as the nrl expands with more teams it really will put afl in the rear view mirror. Especially as they add fluff teams like Tasmania and Darwin

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

Says it all really, Rupert Murdoch one of the most successful business man in the world, saw the potential of the game, so the bastard wanted to own it, if he only could have worked with the ARL, sky could have been the limit.
It ain`t over yet, we`re just getting back on our feet.

Menaiduck

Juniors
I asked because its not reflected in the media rights at the time either - except from 1989-1992 - or the attendances, and Id bet not in revenue either - although I dont have the NSWRL Annual Reports of the time at hand. TV ratings were measured differently, and I dont have that data to hand either.

NSWRL​
1989​
48m for 5 years @ 9.6m per year (Tens deal collapsed after 1 year)​
1990​
19.5m for 3 years @ 6.5m per year (Nine took over from Ten, and sold them back NSWRL for 4m pa)​
1993​
70m for 7 years @ 10m per year years (Nine including paytv rights)​
V/AFL​
1987​
30m for 5 years @ 6m pa. (Seven)​
1992​
100m for 5 years @ 17m pa (Seven)​
1998​
120m for 3 years @ 40m pa (Seven)​
I think the tv ratings back then were pretty unreliable. I might be wrong.

Wb1234

Referee
Says it all really, Rupert Murdoch one of the most successful business man in the world, saw the potential of the game, so the bastard wanted to own it, if he only could have worked with the ARL, sky could have been the limit.
It ain`t over yet, we`re just getting back on our feet.
Exactly

a Murdoch was from Adelaide so he was born a fumbler

yet chose league over afl