What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
In
And apparently Lachlan can`t stand fumbleball, mad League fan.
I would argue since covid rugby league is the leader and afl the follower

first they copied vlandys re covid now they are copying him with expansion

it’s why gill was pushed they need a stronger leader who can challenge vlandys

right now he is running rings around them and they aren’t used to it and don’t know how to respond

and they are paying full over 2 million whilst abdo is on like 500k and I don’t think vlandys even gets a wage lmao

The_Wookie

Bench
In

I would argue since covid rugby league is the leader and afl the follower

first they copied vlandys re covid now they are copying him with expansion

right now he is running rings around them and they aren’t used to it and don’t know how to respond

and they are paying full over 2 million whilst abdo is on like 500k and I don’t think vlandys even gets a wage lmao

I doubt he was pushed at all - and while Vlandys is doing well, i think running rings around them is a bit of a stretch. 8 years in the job is enough for any sports CEO.

AFL CEO​
Duration​
Period​
G.Maclachan​
8 years​
2014-2022​
A.Demetriou​
11 years​
2003-2014​
W.Jackson​
7 years​
1996-2003​
R.Oakley​
7 years​
1986-1993​

NSWRL General Manager/NRL CEO​
A.Abdo​
2 years​
2020-2022​
T.Greenberg​
4 years​
2016-2020​
D.Smith​
3 years​
2012-2015​
D.Gallop​
10 years​
2002-2012​
D.Moffett​
3 years​
1999-2001​
N.Whittaker​
2 years​
1997-1999​
J.Quayle​
13 years​
1983-1996​

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Nothing the afl would love more than V`landy`s moving on, they fear him, he`s combative and seems to thrive on a rivalry, especially if he`s up against something he thinks is up themselves.
I saw him quoted the other day saying he sometimes lays in bed at night and he can`t sleep because his mind is racing, when you think of all the things happening in League at the moment; stadiums; US gambling; 17th then inevitably 18th team; rep. football. It`s an exciting time.

Wb1234

Referee
Nothing the afl would love more than V`landy`s moving on, they fear him, he`s combative and seems to thrive on a rivalry, especially if he`s up against something he thinks is up themselves.
I saw him quoted the other day saying he sometimes lays in bed at night and he can`t sleep because his mind is racing, when you think of all the things happening in League at the moment; stadiums; US gambling; 17th then inevitably 18th team; rep. football. It`s an exciting time.
I’ve been hearing from differently nrl bosses how they want to expand and how we need upgraded grounds

gallop added the titans because he wasn’t allowed to add Brisbane 2.

then vlandys comes in and adds Brisbane 2 whilst the game is still dealing with the impact of covid and immediately talks about team 18

greenberg wanted 800 million going to accor which was a massive waste. Vlandys quickly canned that and got the money redirected into suburban grounds. Getting Brookie done is a massive win for that club as is for Penrith

vlandys legacy will be not only surpassing afl but leaving a massive gap between league and afl

The_Wookie

Bench
I’ve been hearing from differently nrl bosses how they want to expand and how we need upgraded grounds

gallop added the titans because he wasn’t allowed to add Brisbane 2.

then vlandys comes in and adds Brisbane 2 whilst the game is still dealing with the impact of covid and immediately talks about team 18

greenberg wanted 800 million going to accor which was a massive waste. Vlandys quickly canned that and got the money redirected into suburban grounds. Getting Brookie done is a massive win for that club as is for Penrith

vlandys legacy will be not only surpassing afl but leaving a massive gap between league and afl

ob but how exactly is thjat going to happen. theres still a massive revenue gap - and with crowd restrictions off that revenue gap will grow again - and suburban stadium improvements will have a marginal effect at best...on the NRL and almost no impact on the AFL.

Now i can buy the massive improvement in approach by the NRL and that they weathered COVID better financially...but the tv deal almost certainly jumped the shark. Time will tell i guess.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
and suburban stadium improvements will have a marginal effect at best...
This is where you`re wrong, the stadium redevelopment policy has the potential to have a massive effect.
Steep, rectangular modern stadiums have the ability to transform the game day experience for Rugby League fans and the inquisitive into a great day out for fans and families alike.
Once you start to get the families and kids in you will have fans for life, greater revenue through ticket sales, memberships, merchandise sales, participation etc. etc. etc.
Once we start to realise our potential in this area, a wealthier more confident Rugby League will then start to eye more areas for expansion.
I`ve no doubt that V`landy`s knows the potential flow-on effects of having a 21st century sport playing out of 21st century infrastructure, because as he always like to say, we are in the entertainment business, people these days expect the best, we have to give it to them.

The_Wookie

Bench
This is where you`re wrong, the stadium redevelopment policy has the potential to have a massive effect.
Steep, rectangular modern stadiums have the ability to transform the game day experience for Rugby League fans and the inquisitive into a great day out for fans and families alike.
Once you start to get the families and kids in you will have fans for life, greater revenue through ticket sales, memberships, merchandise sales, participation etc. etc. etc.
Once we start to realise our potential in this area, a wealthier more confident Rugby League will then start to eye more areas for expansion.
I`ve no doubt that V`landy`s knows the potential flow-on effects of having a 21st century sport playing out of 21st century infrastructure, because as he always like to say, we are in the entertainment business, people these days expect the best, we have to give it to them.

Having been in Adelaide and Perth - the basic examples everyone assumes will happen everywhere else - i agree that the potential is there, but whether the supporting infrastucture and support is there for every one of these suburban builds is another question entirely. Its not just a matter of building a stadium - as Port Adelaide have discovered lately.

Ive no doubt that Vlandys leaves a positive legacy. I have some doubts about the extent of that. A strong NRL is good for sport in this country. I hope it moves the AFL to innovate and create more.

Menaiduck

Juniors
Having been in Adelaide and Perth - the basic examples everyone assumes will happen everywhere else - i agree that the potential is there, but whether the supporting infrastucture and support is there for every one of these suburban builds is another question entirely. Its not just a matter of building a stadium - as Port Adelaide have discovered lately.

Ive no doubt that Vlandys leaves a positive legacy. I have some doubts about the extent of that. A strong NRL is good for sport in this country. I hope it moves the AFL to innovate and create more.
Competitive tension is good for both

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

With all due respect mate you don`t know a lot about the historical rivalries in Rugby League. You don`t think next weeks sell-out between Parra/Penrith won`t fill their 30 000 stadium in two years time. You don`t think the NRL aren`t already benefitting from Comm Bank stadium and once we go to two conferences in a few years we will get the opportunity - as Wayne Bennett noted last year - to maximise the benefits of the historical rivalries that riven Rugby League.
BTW I have no idea what goes on in Adelaide or Perth and I doubt that V`landy`s is planning the future of League based on what afl does there either.
I do agree that afl does one advantage over League, and that it is viewed as being safer for children, all though I do wonder that it must be a terrible sport for kids to actually play, but once League gets the balance sorted out between Tackle, Touch and Tag for younger age groups I think we will surge ahead in that area as well.

The_Wookie

Bench
With all due respect mate you don`t know a lot about the historical rivalries in Rugby League. You don`t think next weeks sell-out between Parra/Penrith won`t fill their 30 000 stadium in two years time. You don`t think the NRL aren`t already benefitting from Comm Bank stadium and once we go to two conferences in a few years we will get the opportunity - as Wayne Bennett noted last year - to maximise the benefits of the historical rivalries that riven Rugby League.
BTW I have no idea what goes on in Adelaide or Perth and I doubt that V`landy`s is planning the future of League based on what afl does there either.
I do agree that afl does one advantage over League, and that it is viewed as being safer for children, all though I do wonder that it must be a terrible sport for kids to actually play, but once League gets the balance sorted out between Tackle, Touch and Tag for younger age groups I think we will surge ahead in that area as well.

You've no idea what i know about anything. And with all due respect, you cant see the future any more than I can. I didnt say it wont work, I said it had potential - providing the underlying infrastructure and support are there.

I never said that Vlandys plans around the AFL - but he certainly talks about it enough. The NSW Government certainly does care what other states have done with stadium builds in Adelaide and Perth. It was the prime driver for the rash of stadium upgrade/rebuilds in Sydney.

The AFL has a number of advantages - not least being that NRL crowds are where AFL crowds were in 1945 or that NRL memberships are where the the AFL was in 2003, and the AFL makes a lot more revenue with that gap probably growing again this year now that crowds are unrestricted.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lots of upsets this round which can only help audiences. More people tune in if the game is unpredictable results.

as for taking over afl, been hearing it for a long time yet in 2023 and 2024 their tv revenue will dwarf ours yet again. God forbid this paramount story has any legs or this 5 year tv deal period could end up very costly for us And will make vlandys zero $ cash increase deal with ch9 and fox look shonky as anything,

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
You've no idea what i know about anything. And with all due respect, you cant see the future any more than I can. I didnt say it wont work, I said it had potential - providing the underlying infrastructure and support are there.

I never said that Vlandys plans around the AFL - but he certainly talks about it enough. The NSW Government certainly does care what other states have done with stadium builds in Adelaide and Perth. It was the prime driver for the rash of stadium upgrade/rebuilds in Sydney.

The AFL has a number of advantages - not least being that NRL crowds are where AFL crowds were in 1945 or that NRL memberships are where the the AFL was in 2003, and the AFL makes a lot more revenue with that gap probably growing again this year now that crowds are unrestricted.
Crowds and members are great and we`ll narrow the gap in them with our new stadiums. Any way mate if you want to spruik the f-ball you`re on the wrong thread. I`m going over to the English Rugby League forum now, they`re discussing the Rugby League World Cup, it`s going to be huge and apparently the following one in France received a big boost today.
I think I can hear your cat calling, you better go give him a feed. ;);) He sounds lonely.

Starkers

Bench
Just on stadia ... one of the benefits the NRL clubs are well behind on is corporate support. Huge catch up there. AFL has dominated that with the G and others having outstanding corporate suits.

Wb1234

Referee
Just on stadia ... one of the benefits the NRL clubs are well behind on is corporate support. Huge catch up there. AFL has dominated that with the G and others having outstanding corporate suits.
With the new stadia league will make major gains

parra are absolutely killing it at comm bank with all their corporate facilities

I can only imagine what the new sfs will have in terms of corporate facilities

that will be a gift to south’s and the chooks

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Lots of upsets this round which can only help audiences. More people tune in if the game is unpredictable results.

as for taking over afl, been hearing it for a long time yet in 2023 and 2024 their tv revenue will dwarf ours yet again. God forbid this paramount story has any legs or this 5 year tv deal period could end up very costly for us And will make vlandys zero $ cash increase deal with ch9 and fox look shonky as anything,
Well right now the nrl has a higher tv deal. And I’m sure once they add the 18th team as nz2 they will go ahead once again

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
God forbid this paramount story has any legs or this 5 year tv deal period could end up very costly for us
Five years, schmive years, our ratings are powering at the moment with a million viewer game, or even two, every week. This is a medium to long term game, Tv deals will sort themselves out.
And as someone said above the corporate dollar from the new stadia has the potential to be massive and introduce a whole new raft of business people and sponsors to the game.

Menaiduck

Juniors

over 1,000,000 viewers for 3 games pre kayo. Just proves the resilience of the game despite all of the so called advantages our main opponent has over so many years.
The afl has spent literally tens of millions attempting to run our game over in its heartlands yet we are still the game of choice for viewers.
They have literally run out of new markets to permeate and we have hardly begun.
This war has a long long way to go.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

over 1,000,000 viewers for 3 games pre kayo. Just proves the resilience of the game despite all of the so called advantages our main opponent has over so many years.
The afl has spent literally tens of millions attempting to run our game over in its heartlands yet we are still the game of choice for viewers.
They have literally run out of new markets to permeate and we have hardly begun.
This war has a long long way to go.
Duck I don`t quite know the meaning of your post, " over 1 000 000 viewers for 3 games pre Kayo ".

Menaiduck

Juniors
Duck I don`t quite know the meaning of your post, " over 1 000 000 viewers for 3 games pre Kayo ".
Because I buggered up my math. It was over 700000. That’s one of the biggest figures I’ve seen for 3 nrl matches on a Saturday. If you add in kayo the figure would be over 1.2 million. Mea culpa.