What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RL & RLW World Cup

Chipmunk

Coach
Waqa Blake missed out on Fiji squad.

Is he Injured or has a Fiji reliased what a liability he can be and left him out.
If he's not injured, and can't make a team ahead of Isaac Lumelume then there is something wrong. I suspect he withdrew.

the phantom menace

First Grade
COOK ISLANDS

Tevin Arona (Auckland)
Tinirau Arona (Wakefield Trinity)
Geoffrey Daniela (St Marys Saints)
Johnathon Ford (Featherstone Rovers)
Anthony Gelling (Auckland)
Kayal Iro (Cronulla Sharks)
Makahesi Makatoa (Parramatta Eels)
Steven Marsters (Thirroul Butchers)
Esan Marsters-Siavale (Huddersfield Giants)
Davvy Moale (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Tepai Moeroa (Melbourne Storm)
Dylan Napa (Catalan Dragons)
Ruatapu Ngatikaura (Wests Tigers)
Moses Noovao-McGreal (Norths Devils)
Pride Pettersen-Robati (NZ Warriors)
Dominique Peyroux (Toulouse Olympique)
Brendan Piakura (Brisbane Broncos)
Reuben Porter (Tweed Heads Seagulls)
Vincent Rennie (Newtown Jets)
Reubenn Rennie (Newtown Jets)
Brad Takairangi (Hull Kingston Rovers)
Aaron Teroi (CQ Capras)
Zane Tetevano (Leeds Rhinos)
Paul Ulberg (London Broncos)

Stand-by players: Adam Tangata (Halifax), Malachi Morgan (Southport Tigers).

Chipmunk

Coach
Seriously? This is ridiculous.

https://www.zerotackle.com/munster-set-to-don-the-no-7-for-australia-123884/

Munster set to don the No. 7 for Australia
It appears neither Daly Cherry-Evans or Nathan Cleary will wear their club number at the tournament.

JACK BLYTH
WRITER | OCTOBER 6, 2022 -
He won't be starting at halfback, but Cameron Munster will wear the No. 7 jersey through the Kangaroos' World Cup campaign due to a new rule for the tournament.

Similarly to the Super League, players at the World Cup will be given squad numbers to wear each match instead of numbering based on position, so don't be surprised when Josh Addo-Carr runs out with a '9' across his back.
While the initial idea was to hand out numbers based on the strongest 17, Kangaroos assistant Michael Hagan devised a different way to divvy out squad numbers.

The jerseys will be numbered in chronological order of when the respective player made their international debut for Australia, while the 13 rookies in the squad will receive 14-24 based on the alphabetical order.

The only exception is James Tedesco, who will still wear the No. 1 due to being named captain for the six-week tournament.
While they'll be wearing odd numbers, don't expect to see Latrell Mitchell running around in the front-row, or Reagan Campbell-Gillard throwing cut-out passes purely because he's got the No. 6 pinned to his back.

Daly Cherry-Evans is the longest-running Kangaroo, having debuted for the nation in 2011, and will therefore wear the No. 2, while Cameron Murray will don the No. 11 as the most recent capped-debutant
t'll be odd to see the No. 2 and No. 14 compete to play halfback, however that's the shootout on the cards as Cherry-Evans hopes not playing finals footy won't affect his bid to partner Munster in the halves.
“It was a really long four weeks watching the NRL finals unfold, and until your name is called out, you just never know,” Cherry-Evans told The Sydney Morning Herald.
“The Cup was something I had earmarked for such a long time.
“I honestly don't know [who will start at halfback in the first game]. Mal has been really open about how close this battle will be.
“We're going over with no preconceived idea around the halfback situation, and we'll have to earn our spot in that side.”
The two are expected to alternate throughout the tournament before Mal Meninga makes a final call heading into the tournament's finals.

KANGAROOS SQUAD NUMBERS
  1. James Tedesco
  2. Daly Cherry-Evans
  3. Ben Hunt
  4. Valentine Holmes
  5. Jake Trbojevic
  6. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
  7. Cameron Munster
  8. Latrell Mitchell
  9. Josh Addo-Carr
  10. Jack Wighton
  11. Cameron Murray
  12. Matt Burton
  13. Patrick Carrigan
  14. Nathan Cleary
  15. Lindsay Collins
  16. Reuben Cotter
  17. Angus Crichton
  18. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
  19. Campbell Graham
  20. Harry Grant
  21. Liam Martin
  22. Jeremiah Nanai
  23. Murray Taulagi
  24. Isaah Yeo

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
Seriously? This is ridiculous.

https://www.zerotackle.com/munster-set-to-don-the-no-7-for-australia-123884/

Munster set to don the No. 7 for Australia
It appears neither Daly Cherry-Evans or Nathan Cleary will wear their club number at the tournament.

JACK BLYTH
WRITER | OCTOBER 6, 2022 -
He won't be starting at halfback, but Cameron Munster will wear the No. 7 jersey through the Kangaroos' World Cup campaign due to a new rule for the tournament.

Similarly to the Super League, players at the World Cup will be given squad numbers to wear each match instead of numbering based on position, so don't be surprised when Josh Addo-Carr runs out with a '9' across his back.
While the initial idea was to hand out numbers based on the strongest 17, Kangaroos assistant Michael Hagan devised a different way to divvy out squad numbers.

The jerseys will be numbered in chronological order of when the respective player made their international debut for Australia, while the 13 rookies in the squad will receive 14-24 based on the alphabetical order.

The only exception is James Tedesco, who will still wear the No. 1 due to being named captain for the six-week tournament.
While they'll be wearing odd numbers, don't expect to see Latrell Mitchell running around in the front-row, or Reagan Campbell-Gillard throwing cut-out passes purely because he's got the No. 6 pinned to his back.

Daly Cherry-Evans is the longest-running Kangaroo, having debuted for the nation in 2011, and will therefore wear the No. 2, while Cameron Murray will don the No. 11 as the most recent capped-debutant
t'll be odd to see the No. 2 and No. 14 compete to play halfback, however that's the shootout on the cards as Cherry-Evans hopes not playing finals footy won't affect his bid to partner Munster in the halves.
“It was a really long four weeks watching the NRL finals unfold, and until your name is called out, you just never know,” Cherry-Evans told The Sydney Morning Herald.
“The Cup was something I had earmarked for such a long time.
“I honestly don't know [who will start at halfback in the first game]. Mal has been really open about how close this battle will be.
“We're going over with no preconceived idea around the halfback situation, and we'll have to earn our spot in that side.”
The two are expected to alternate throughout the tournament before Mal Meninga makes a final call heading into the tournament's finals.

KANGAROOS SQUAD NUMBERS
  1. James Tedesco
  2. Daly Cherry-Evans
  3. Ben Hunt
  4. Valentine Holmes
  5. Jake Trbojevic
  6. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
  7. Cameron Munster
  8. Latrell Mitchell
  9. Josh Addo-Carr
  10. Jack Wighton
  11. Cameron Murray
  12. Matt Burton
  13. Patrick Carrigan
  14. Nathan Cleary
  15. Lindsay Collins
  16. Reuben Cotter
  17. Angus Crichton
  18. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
  19. Campbell Graham
  20. Harry Grant
  21. Liam Martin
  22. Jeremiah Nanai
  23. Murray Taulagi
  24. Isaah Yeo
I thought so too at first but then realised that only rugby league (in Australia) and rugby union use numbers to indicate positions. Every other sport seems to let random numbers prevail. It doesn't really bother me.

Chipmunk

Coach
I thought so too at first but then realised that only rugby league (in Australia) and rugby union use numbers to indicate positions. Every other sport seems to let random numbers prevail. It doesn't really bother me.
I don't have a general issue with the sport using player numbers, rather than position numbers, in fact I think we should do that in Australia. But, the World Cup is still being played under the International Rules of Rugby League, which still uses numbers associated with positions. If they want to change the rules then go for it.

Even in the Super League, the squad numbers are still related to the first choice 13 for positions.

The NFL organises their playing numbers with a range for different positions, and in fact, certain numbers can't touch the football.

Soccer still uses numbers roughly related to positions, although this isn't set.

I think we at least should've had some kind of correlation to positions with a starting 13 or 17.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think player numbers could definitely work in rugby league, particularly these days with players sometimes playing multiple positions during a match.

The squad numbers are still organised, they're just organised in a stupid way.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think player numbers could definitely work in rugby league, particularly these days with players sometimes playing multiple positions during a match.

I think players would prefer it.

They can brand themselves better with a number as well.

Look at all the other sports.

How many athletes have there number attached to there name on social media accounts.

Some do clothing brands.

Have the names and number on the back like NFL and the players would benefit massively I reckon.

Gronk

Staff member

I might be dreaming, but I'm pretty sure that John Ribot de Bresac did the same in Super League.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think players would prefer it.

They can brand themselves better with a number as well.

Look at all the other sports.

How many athletes have there number attached to there name on social media accounts.

Some do clothing brands.

Have the names and number on the back like NFL and the players would benefit massively I reckon.
I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. I think the UK Super League they reset the numbers at the start of each season. You could either do this, or the players can choose between number 1 and 99, and that is their number whilst they're always at that club.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. I think the UK Super League they reset the numbers at the start of each season. You could either do this, or the players can choose between number 1 and 99, and that is their number whilst they're always at that club.
Tradition I reckon.

Btw does anyone know why Marcus Bai wore 55 for Melbourne the night he and Kearney tipped Jarrod McCracken on his head in 2000.

I believe they both got sued for that tackle and Bai had 55 on his back.

Chipmunk

Coach
Tradition I reckon.

Btw does anyone know why Marcus Bai wore 55 for Melbourne the night he and Kearney tipped Jarrod McCracken on his head in 2000.

I believe they both got sued for that tackle and Bai had 55 on his back.
I think the Storm actually had some sort of player numbering system going on when they first started, and they were also allowed to have the players names on the back of the jumper.

the phantom menace

First Grade

FFS Michael Hagan... what a dumb clusterf**k of a numbering system.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't have a general issue with the sport using player numbers, rather than position numbers, in fact I think we should do that in Australia. But, the World Cup is still being played under the International Rules of Rugby League, which still uses numbers associated with positions. If they want to change the rules then go for it.

Even in the Super League, the squad numbers are still related to the first choice 13 for positions.

The NFL organises their playing numbers with a range for different positions, and in fact, certain numbers can't touch the football.

Soccer still uses numbers roughly related to positions, although this isn't set.

I think we at least should've had some kind of correlation to positions with a starting 13 or 17.

I'm not sure it's different to a player wearing 11, but playing in the front row, or a player wearing 6, but playing in the centres - not situations that we see in the NRL all the time.

Latest posts