What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Covid is one of the contributors to the delay.
RM. SS and even Cup teams do not know who is going to play with them until almost the last 24 hours at best.
I know of at least one RM team that had 6 players in the 17 that had not trained with the team

TigerDen

Juniors
I suggest everyone read the article appearing on the NSWRL App "Silktails ambitions for NSW Cup ". While the intention to elevate the game in Fiji is admirable, it gives an insight into where Massey and Shield are headed. The Silktails are being provided all the resources they need - by the Australian government, NRL and NSWRL to succeed. While the competition they are playing in continues to be pushed to the back blocks of footy. Once the Silktails achieve their goal, they will need more investment to continue. When they go, what will be left, with no publicity, no pathways and no investment to grow the game at this level, the future looks very dim.

rightleftin

Juniors
I suggest everyone read the article appearing on the NSWRL App "Silktails ambitions for NSW Cup ". While the intention to elevate the game in Fiji is admirable, it gives an insight into where Massey and Shield are headed. The Silktails are being provided all the resources they need - by the Australian government, NRL and NSWRL to succeed. While the competition they are playing in continues to be pushed to the back blocks of footy. Once the Silktails achieve their goal, they will need more investment to continue. When they go, what will be left, with no publicity, no pathways and no investment to grow the game at this level, the future looks very dim.
Being smashed by Blacktown in the first half is not a good sign. Clearly, being full time, they will be fitter than all the other RMC teams, and it showed in the 2nd half, as Blacktown had played no trials. If they struggle this year, the RMC might last a few more years so the Silktails have somewhere to play.

The best player for the Silktails last year has moved to Mounties and he played RMC not NSW Cup on Saturday. Another player has moved to France and their fine full back got homesick and returned to Fiji last month.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
If the Silktails get to NSW cup the sensible option would be for them to also remain in RMC.
Oh wait I said sensible, so that al but rules it out :)

rightleftin

Juniors
I see the Newcastle RL has avoided the problems of the NSWRL website by continuing to produce its weekly programs.

The Maitland starting line up looks close to its winning Presidents Cup team of 2020:

1 Daniel Langbridge 2 James Bradley 3 Matt Soper Lawler 4 Garry Anderson 5 Perry LeBrocq 6 Chad O'Donnell 7 Brock Lamb 8 Jayden Butterfield 9 Alex Langbridge 10 James Taylor 11 Faitotoa Faitatoa 12 Pat Matautai 13 Sam Anderson.

I reckon they might beat a few NSW Cup teams.

The O'Meley Bros have moved to Lakes Utd, Luke Walsh is playing for Central, Kerrod Holland is with Macquarie Scorpions and the Nelson Bros and Shaun Corrigan are still playing for The Entrance.

There are only 2 TBA's among the 10 teams.

rightleftin

Juniors
Hills dominated St Marys for most of the game, leading 20-0 at half time. They continued to control the game in the 2nd half until St Marys scored in the 66th minute. St Marys had several back to back sets in the remainder of the game but could not crack the Hills-North Sydney combination.

RMC
Hills 20 St Marys 4
Glebe 16 Silktails 6

SS
St Marys 22 Hills 6
Moorebank 32 Wenty 0

Butts74

Juniors
Yeah hills were stacked with so many north Sydney bears boys in both squads , it was crazy. They will be relying a lot on those boys by the looks of it.

rightleftin

Juniors
RMC
Blacktown 30 Ryde Eastwood 16
Wenty vs Mounties - to be replayed - game suspended after 10 minutes and then abandoned as freak storm turned ground into a lake.

SS
Ryde Eastwood 24 Brothers 16

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/03/04/de-la-salle-celebrate-60th-year-with-first-grade-promotion/

So De La Salle are the 8th team into the Illawarra Cup. It's pretty good for the Illawarra to have the comp up to 8 teams now. Hopefully someone has news as to a draw or start date for it as I can't find anything and LU unfortunately doesn't cover it. Be a great opportunity to head back to Collies to watch some grade footy on the weekends.
Comp kicks off 23rd April

Draw to be released this week

rightleftin

Juniors
I saw the Illawarra draw 4 weeks ago when I posted that DLS Caringbah were the 8th team.

Round 1
Collegians vs Corrimal
Dapto vs Helensbugh
Thirroul vs Wests
Cronulla Caringbah vs DLS Caringbah

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Wests reported their Lidcombe NSWC & RMC matches on Sunday were off due to weather, but have since deleted the tweet.

Last edited:
Ron Massey Cup

Hills v Wenty moved to Kellyville Park - Sunday 1.30pm
Wests v Fiji - Postponed

Sydney Shield

Moorebank v Ryde - Postponed
Hills v Wenty - Postponed

Tigers1986

Juniors
Frustrating after the COVID interruptions that weather is wreaking havoc now.

Even moreso when it wasn't raining at the venues today.

Ah well, what are we going to do about it. Fixtures will be fulfilled and the game will move on.