What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of things to consider here:

1: Salary Cap - I believe the salary cap was originally going to be in the vicinity of $9.5m for 2022. That was cut by COVID to now $9.11m or a 390k drop. Let's say a player was signed in 2019 on a 3yr rolling deal (eg: 300k year1, 400k year2 and 500k year3. That rolling now is now impacted by the drop. I think there are a few players on this type of schedule, most in their 2nd roll.
2: Tariq Sims (and correct me if I'm wrong) played 3 games of SOO this year and Ben Hunt played 1 which has to be added to their salary for next year (around 100k?)
3. Min salary for players 1 - 26 is $120k
4. Max salary for players 27 - 30 is $80k
5. The moneyball payments on a few players ceasing or decreasing (increasing payment on our side)

At this stage we have 25 confirmed players (that may change) so we need 5 players:
Now for some assumptions: Available $1.5m (to spend after adjustments for rolls and SOO etc)

Suli (player 26) - some will be picked up by Manly, so let's say contract value 500k, Manly pick up 100k of that we out $400k. So now it's $1.5m less 400k = $1.1m

Still 4 spots to fill, 2 of those in the 27 - 30 bracket. Now assume we sign Daffy Duck and Mickey Mouse both at 80k. Now we are at $1.1m less 160k = 940k remaining

2 spots to fill both in the 1 - 26 bracket players. Now, assume we have signed Woods for 140k.
Now we have 800k available for 1 very good player. Assume that could be Harry Grant (nothing to say it is), would he be worth 800k? and would you pay that for him (or Kikau for example)?

Again, I'm using a lot of assumptions and guesswork, but it's just to highlight the minefield of negotiating the salary cap etc (mind you it would be helpful with a few decent TPA's), not as simple as 1 player leaves his salary is all available to replace.

Another point is that the top 30 doesn't have to be finalised until June 30 next year so a couple of spots, usually in the 27 - 30 bracket are held over for this time, in case a star emerges from our junior ranks.

I think we are in swinging hard for a quality player, but negotiations take time, especially if they are already contracted and we can't officially make any offer until Nov 1, to which there will be a buying frenzy from the new franchise. Clubs know this already and will bump salaries of players to keep them.

So, in all of that getting Woods for about 150k appears to be very good value. Yes, he's in the pension class, but he will add more starch and experience and that offload and he is rarely suspended, unlike a few others in our squad.

Dragon David

First Grade
It’s embarrassing, I hate this team they’ve assembled, it’s literally a bunch of rejects.
McGuire, hasn’t he turned out to be a treat, how many games suspension so far?
Burgess will be a massive disappointment, fumble fumble.
McCulloch is old, slow, cumbersome.
Add Aaron Woods to that mess of a pack and we are in for a very frustrating year AGAIN Coffs…..
We will be known as the St George Illawarra Discount Rejects.

thebigredv

First Grade
We will be known as the St George Illawarra Discount Rejects.

Here I am like most die hards just trying to get over that season, following another finals series with our absence and then comes the news we've landed old man Woods. A reject from a coach who rejected us in an instant. All the while still awaiting the announced signing of a player who rejected us last year. Please try convince me we aren't the bottom feeders of the competition.

Honestly it just upsets me no end knowing we will go into another off-season with Buckley's chance of giving the title a crack. The top 8 looks a long way off. Our young ones are too green and these over the hill blokes are too old and too many in number to contribute greatly towards what is the ultimate goal on professional sport - win matches. A completely unbalanced squad devoid of star quality.

Cue the dreamers to butt in and remind me we have Molo and Sua, and tell me how Woods will bring leadership and Mbye will bring his articulate manner of speaking. Seen it all before. Molo and Sua will fade into oblivion when they realise they have no one to help them on a consistent basis, Mbye will tell us why our future looks good and come on and complete some useless cameos, and Woods will do nothing but serve his self interests at a club that enables it time and time again. A club that is quite frankly not in the business of competing fiercely like the St George teams of old or is simply incapable of getting the foundation set.

Woods may just appear like another depth signing to some but on the back of recently waving goodbye to Vaughan, Host, Frizell and McIness and enduring a year when there was not a decent forward in our team save the guy back from the courts, to me, it is an emblem of our recruitment inferiority and a bloody white flag waved to all other teams in the comp. What did we finish, 12th? A busted Burgess, a tiger off cut and a prehistoric shark is only going to see us slide further down.

I'm furious right now and at the end of my tether with this joke of a club. I'm tired of my team being defeated before a ball is even kicked.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Here I am like most die hards just trying to get over that season, following another finals series with our absence and then comes the news we've landed old man Woods. A reject from a coach who rejected us in an instant. All the while still awaiting the announced signing of a player who rejected us last year. Please try convince me we aren't the bottom feeders of the competition.

Honestly it just upsets me no end knowing we will go into another off-season with Buckley's chance of giving the title a crack. The top 8 looks a long way off. Our young ones are too green and these over the hill blokes are too old and too many in number to contribute greatly towards what is the ultimate goal on professional sport - win matches. A completely unbalanced squad devoid of star quality.

Cue the dreamers to butt in and remind me we have Molo and Sua, and tell me how Woods will bring leadership and Mbye will bring his articulate manner of speaking. Seen it all before. Molo and Sua will fade into oblivion when they realise they have no one to help them on a consistent basis, Mbye will tell us why our future looks good and come on and complete some useless cameos, and Woods will do nothing but serve his self interests at a club that enables it time and time again. A club that is quite frankly not in the business of competing fiercely like the St George teams of old or is simply incapable of getting the foundation set.

Woods may just appear like another depth signing to some but on the back of recently waving goodbye to Vaughan, Host, Frizell and McIness and enduring a year when there was not a decent forward in our team save the guy back from the courts, to me, it is an emblem of our recruitment inferiority and a bloody white flag waved to all other teams in the comp. What did we finish, 12th? A busted Burgess, a tiger off cut and a prehistoric shark is only going to see us slide further down.

I'm furious right now and at the end of my tether with this joke of a club. I'm tired of my team being defeated before a ball is even kicked.
I totally agree TheBigRedV & couldn’t have said it better.
I have been so looking forward to the end of Peanut McGregor & Cory Norman, with great delight and hope for the future.
All I see now, is a bunch of discarded players that I personally loath, running around in our jersey.

I’ll find it very hard to watch & follow a team containing
Grub Maguire, Grub Burgess, Sharon Woods & Slug McCulloch coached by a twice sacked boar of a coach.
The only thing saving us from the Spoon in 2022 will be the Tigers.

BBTB

Juniors
I have been so looking forward to the end of Peanut McGregor & Cory Norman, with great delight and hope for the future.
All I see now, is a bunch of discarded players that I personally loath, running around in our jersey.

Grub Maguire, Grub Burgess, Sharon Woods & Slug McCulloch coached by a twice sacked boar of a coach.
Yes,certainly not looking forward to 2022. Doesn't look good,at all.

coolumsharkie

Referee
No matter who else we’ve supposedly signed for next year, you can’t dress up sh@t as chocolate no matter how hard you try..
Woods FFS, Woods
This is farcical, desperate and pathetic.

Open your mouths, here comes that spoon...

T.

Priceless. How good is this!!!

Belta

Juniors
I will admit I’ve been as negative as any of our most dour supporters but oddly enough, atleast for today any way, I’m feeling a little spate of positivity. I think it’s just a change that’s brought about a glimmer of optimism, because I rate most of our forwards as diabolically ineffective/predictable and boring.
I don’t know if I’ve given up on waiting for some of our hopefuls to come good but recently added McCulloch Maguire (suspensions aside) Burgess, Molo, Sua and Woods (possibly another as it’s only early) and seeing JDB playing well, I like what fui and burns do, sims looks likely to stay and will play better with new faces and finally if ( a big if I know) Suli to reach his potential with some exciting backs we may go ok.

Como Connection

First Grade
I will admit I’ve been as negative as any of our most dour supporters but oddly enough, atleast for today any way, I’m feeling a little spate of positivity. I think it’s just a change that’s brought about a glimmer of optimism, because I rate most of our forwards as diabolically ineffective/predictable and boring.
I don’t know if I’ve given up on waiting for some of our hopefuls to come good but recently added McCulloch Maguire (suspensions aside) Burgess, Molo, Sua and Woods (possibly another as it’s only early) and seeing JDB playing well, I like what fui and burns do, sims looks likely to stay and will play better with new faces and finally if ( a big if I know) Suli to reach his potential with some exciting backs we may go ok.
Plus Mybe sharing the hooker role, one more good forward and they will be strong enough.
CC

Illusion

Bench

Its a young mans game it has changed .... You need fast mobile players in evey position not a pack of veteran's that are ok for 20 min a game ..... Woods out of all players Hook likes the slow and steady type ......

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee

Terrific post.

👍

Latest posts