What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

possm

Coach
Sullivan signs for 3 years so now, sign Taylor to give us depth in the halves.

Hunt hooker in rotation with McCullough.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Nice to get Bud's deal finally settled. This now leaves us 1 spot left on our top 30 roster (Sloan isn't listed as yet, but will be in the next week or 2).

It's becoming very clear, the direction we are going in now sets us up for a long term success, with a good mix of youth and experience. The players signed and retained are done so to suit the current changes to the game itself. It's faster and players need to be able to adapt and grow at the same time. There is also the evidence of definite transition of players and pathways for those following

Interesting breakdown of our squad:

Senior Squad: 28 (their age during next season)

Players aged under 21 = (2)
Amone (20), Sullivan (20)

Players aged 21 - 25 = (10)
Burns (23), Feagai Matt (21), Feagai Max (21), Ford (24), Lawrie (25), Lomax (22), Ramsey (22),
Ravalawa (24), Sua (24), Suli (24)

Players aged 26 - 30 = (10)
Alvaro (29), Bird (27), Burgess (30), Faamausili (26), Fuimaono (26), Gosiewski (28), Kerr (26), Mbye (29), Moga (27), Molo (27)

Players aged over 30 = (6)
De Belin (31), Hunt (32), Maguire (32), McCullough (32), Sims (32), Woods (31)

Transition to top 30 = 1
Sloan (20)

Development Squad: = (2)
Hunt J (24), O'Ofou (?)

Train and Trial Player = (5)
Molo M (25) , Coric (19/20), Shereb (19), Antrobus (21), Muhleisen (20)

Isn't it good to finally see a plan in place and being executed. Far cry than in previous years of ad-hoc recruitment and retention, and the lack of junior development and pathway.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Our squad for 2022 is settled and we have depth, youth and experience. I think our attack will be much better. I just hope that if Gentle is still our defensive coach, he can get the guys to do much better with their defence. It is very important that this is achieved if we are to be successful.
I'm concerned about the speed we may have plodders in the backs compared to say The Dogs.

I'm concerned about the speed we may have plodders in the backs compared to say The Dogs.
Sloan/Amone/Sullivan/Ramsey have plenty of speed.

Lomax will use his step and offload to create space for his support players.

Suli/Rava will run over the opposition.

The Fegai boys need a big pre-season to compete for a spot in the backline.

I think Mat has both the height and size needed to play wing. Max is a Smokey for a first grade spot.

If the forwards get a roll on our halves and backline will surprise the bookies.

ALSGI

Bench
Sloan/Amone/Sullivan/Ramsey have plenty of speed.

Lomax will use his step and offload to create space for his support players.

Suli/Rava will run over the opposition.

The Fegai boys need a big pre-season to compete for a spot in the backline.

I think Mat has both the height and size needed to play wing. Max is a Smokey for a first grade spot.

If the forwards get a roll on our halves and backline will surprise the bookies.
Would be interesting to see someone like Dufty try and stop Rava, Suli or Lomax.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Really glad we signed bud as I really want to see that combo of the 3 amigos in the top grade. It will be up and down at times but we now have direction and plan. You think Mcmoron would have had a plan at all. When we lost a few young ones recently the sensational headlines I couldn’t understand. We sign bud and other than Lara Pitt god bless her no other headlines

Dragon David

First Grade
We'll do pretty good in that department with the guys we have. We will mark Dufty and JAC just like we will against guys in other teams including Saab.

If we can just jag a win in the Charity Shield up at Mudgee next year, that would increase our confidence for the year greatly. If we lose again, hopefully it would be on the basis that our guys can score some good tries and not give in too easily and not get thrashed.

We have to get the players' combinations worked out. I'm glad we now have the centre positions sorted and with Hunt returning from injury, there will be a much improved and controlled service to the backline. With Norman gone, our attack should be way improved.

Our forwards lacked punch and power in 2021 from the halfway point. De Belin returned to the fold almost midway through the comp and he lacked a lot of match fitness and we did not have the middle forwards as Griffin said. Next year will be a far different story and competition for first grade spots will be strong.

All in all our squad is more balanced and with better attitudes and I'm looking forward to the next chapter of the Dragons in 2022.

It all comes down to forwards getting over that advantage line and dominating for large parts of games.
If we can do that I’m very confident with Hunt, the young guns and the speed / size we have in the backs to score some great exciting tries.
If our forwards aren’t doing there job then our backs will struggle, simple as.
Lomax and Suli could finish the season as one of the most destructive centre combos in the comp if the forwards are going forward.
Don’t under estimate an extra few offloads from Woodsy and co this year too. Forwards going forward that can create second phase gets you into points scoring positions from anywhere.
Bring on 2022.

kit66

Bench
With Bud's signature it's all falling into place. We've got the makings of a team that will challenge for the 8 in 2022 and could do even better in 2023 ( although we need to get Amone and Sloane sorted before the Dolphins start circling ).
What I'm happiest about is we'll have some size in the forwards with the addition of Molo, Woods and Burgess up front, each coming in at between 5 and 15 kilos heavier than Lawrie, McGuire and JDB. Add other big guys elsewhere on the park like Kerr, Su'a, Suli, Rav and Moga, if he gets a run and we've got a lot more momentum and go forward than we've had in years. Add a mountain of off-load ability in this team now with Kerr, Woods, Burgess, Bird and Molo ( as well as Ford and Alvaro ) all good at getting a ball away and we'll trouble oppositions all day. Go forward and plenty of second phase with Hunt, Amone, Sloane and possibly Bud at 9 all capable of making the most of that giving us a lot to look forward to next year.
Our pack in 2021 lost us 9 of our last 10 games, in most of which we showed little fight and lost convincingly (the single win was by 2 points) and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them find themselves either lucky to be on the bench or more likely playing NSW Cup. If you were handing out jerseys based on 2021 contributions JDB, Sims, Burns, Lawrie, McGuire and McCullough could all face disappointment.
They're tipping us for the spoon again. I couldn't understand them tipping us this year and I find it harder to fathom for next year. Even with Covid, BBQ-Gate, suspensions galore, a lack of home games and a real rag-tag bunch of misfits this year we were still only a couple of wins out of the 8. I'd say we're a lot better off going into 2022, you'd be mad to think otherwise.