What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Draginzaaar

Bench
1. Tyrell Sloan
2. Matt Feagai
3. Moses Suli
4. Zac Lomax
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Junior Amone
7. Jayden Sullivan
8. Francis Molo
9. Ben Hunt
10. Jack De Belin
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Tariq Sims
13. Jack Bird

14. Moses Mbye
15. George Burgess
16. Josh McGuire
17. Billy Burns/Aaron Woods/Blake Lawrie/Tyrell Fuimaono

Apparently that side is the favourite for the spoon. Give me a f**king break.
It's not favourite for the spoon, rather the least likely to win the comp.

thebigredv

First Grade
There is a lot of optimism in the forum which I like. However, I will say that besides maybe the cowboys, every clubs fans would be optimistic with their signings and club going into 2022.
Dogs have signed plenty plus Gus, Broncos will no doubt be a better team, Tigers have brought Tim Sheens back who may have an impact, Warriors have SJ back, Titans will be looking to build.

Anything could happen next year, more so than recent years.
Im predicting a tight competition with less blow outs and less gap between top and bottom.

We've assembled a better squad for which Griffin can pick an improved team from. Our biggest signings look to have great assets in Su'a, Molo and Suli. Mind you, as one who exists in the rational world, I'm wary they've all spent time in reserves recently at their previous clubs. The juniors are a more enticing prospect and where my excitement comes from. We need two or three of them to have break out years and some continued recruitment so that we can be talking premierships by 2023/24. Positives and dreams aside, that's just how it is.

denis preston

First Grade
It's not favourite for the spoon, rather the least likely to win the co
We've assembled a better squad for which Griffin can pick an improved team from. Our biggest signings look to have great assets in Su'a, Molo and Suli. Mind you, as one who exists in the rational world, I'm wary they've all spent time in reserves recently at their previous clubs. The juniors are a more enticing prospect and where my excitement comes from. We need two or three of them to have break out years and some continued recruitment so that we can be talking premierships by 2023/24. Positives and dreams aside, that's just how it is.
The way i look at it ;
* We have got rid of Norman, Dufty's defence, and plodders that Hook cant pick anymore ( apart from Alvaro )
*Molo & Sua are a big improvement in the forwards, we know there is consistency in their play that we can count on.
* Woods ,Mcguire ,Burgess bring experience & at worst great depth that we haven't had for years. Cant see all 3 having a bad year surely and if 2 have good years we are ahead. Add Molo's brother & the 2 x development forwards then Hook will really have options on selection day.
* Mbye brings something to the side from the bench or as a replacement. He was sensational when at Bulldogs and even if he plays to half that form will contribute.
*Debellin full off season, Hunt fully fit, the 5 kids bulk up a bit more and develop, Suli kicks on then we have some capabilities out wide.

The only negatives for me is Simms, Bird & McCulloch. I just cant see them have great years but then again they may benefit from the team playing better, it sure helped Simms in SOO!

thebigredv

First Grade
* We have got rid of Norman, Dufty's defence, and plodders that Hook cant pick anymore ( apart from Alvaro )
*Molo & Sua are a big improvement in the forwards, we know there is consistency in their play that we can count on.
* Woods ,Mcguire ,Burgess bring experience & at worst great depth that we haven't had for years. Cant see all 3 having a bad year surely and if 2 have good years we are ahead. Add Molo's brother & the 2 x development forwards then Hook will really have options on selection day.
* Mbye brings something to the side from the bench or as a replacement. He was sensational when at Bulldogs and even if he plays to half that form will contribute.
*Debellin full off season, Hunt fully fit, the 5 kids bulk up a bit more and develop, Suli kicks on then we have some capabilities out wide.

The only negatives for me is Simms, Bird & McCulloch. I just cant see them have great years but then again they may benefit from the team playing better, it sure helped Simms in SOO!

Agreed on all accounts. The thing to watch will be the mindset of this bunch. If we can win four straight at the beginning of the year and lose the last 8 then that's a mental thing as much as it is anything else. Falling out of form is one thing but completely dropping the bundle like we did last year and previously under the last coach is something I never want to see again.

We definitely are not a team of stars but if they can all pitch in and play to their potential whilst heeding their coach they might be featuring in the finals series this lot. They've a lot of convincing to do but I'm sure we are all ready to support the new and old faces as much as ever.

Ps McCulloch has done nothing wrong since joining us but his best isn't really good enough and I can't realistically see him as anything but back up.

Dragon David

First Grade
There is a lot of optimism in the forum which I like. However, I will say that besides maybe the cowboys, every clubs fans would be optimistic with their signings and club going into 2022.
Dogs have signed plenty plus Gus, Broncos will no doubt be a better team, Tigers have brought Tim Sheens back who may have an impact, Warriors have SJ back, Titans will be looking to build.

Im predicting a tight competition with less blow outs and less gap between top and bottom.
I agree Crush.

The way most clubs have sorted out their rosters for 2022, as we have, the competition will be closer with fewer blow outs as you say and the gap between the top and bottom teams should be less.

On any given weekend, a couple of fancied and favoured teams could be beaten by the lesser teams . Injuries, suspensions and representative duties will have a big bearing.

Our club has to get the players as healthy and as fit as a fiddle every week and be repetitively told to play 100% to their ability and dare I say it, better discipline, fewer mistakes and limited 6 agains.

Mojo

Bench
Agreed on all accounts. The thing to watch will be the mindset of this bunch. If we can win four straight at the beginning of the year and lose the last 8 then that's a mental thing as much as it is anything else. Falling out of form is one thing but completely dropping the bundle like we did last year and previously under the last coach is something I never want to see again.

We definitely are not a team of stars but if they can all pitch in and play to their potential whilst heeding their coach they might be featuring in the finals series this lot. They've a lot of convincing to do but I'm sure we are all ready to support the new and old faces as much as ever.

Ps McCulloch has done nothing wrong since joining us but his best isn't really good enough and I can't realistically see him as anything but back up.
McCulloch is a defender first and foremost and not bad at reading the play. He's not the zippy attacking type of hooker that pushes the game along. He's got some serious attacking and tactical players right next to him now though. I think both Sims and Bird have a ton of ability and I expect them to lift their games when playing in a winning side. The most talented players would have found the last few years very dispiriting (listen to what Friz said when departing the Club). Like most supporters I thought Hook's decisions last year were baffling, especially playing Norman every week, and I struggled with the merits of flicking Vaughan and letting Dufty go.

Now I'm coming around to thinking that Hook is a very methodical, medium-term strategist. We were never going to win the comp last year, let alone challenge for it. He knew that. Playing Norman each week at least meant the young halves could stay in the slow cooker for a while longer. 'Releasing' Vaughan and Dufty now looks to me like he astutely isolated the discipline problem and also cleared the decks for (hopefully) clever recruitment. If this is a correct review of Hooks tenure to-date I would anticipate that he has visions of advancing a young hooker from our juniors into first grade when the time is right.

The team now looks like a really good mix of experience and young talent. I'm expecting some of our experienced players to find a new inspiration as leaders of a team that can really aspire to achieving big things. I doubt that they've even been allowed to have that motivation for a long time past.

Last edited:

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
McCulloch is a defender first and foremost and not bad at reading the play. He's not the zippy attacking type of hooker that pushes the game along. He's got some serious attacking and tactical players right next to him now though. I think both Sims and Bird have a ton of ability and I expect them to lift their games when playing in a winning side. The most talented players would have found the last few years very dispiriting (listen to what Friz said when departing the Club). Like most supporters I thought Hook's decisions last year were baffling, especially playing Norman every week, and I struggled with the merits of flicking Vaughan and letting Dufty go.

Now I'm coming around to thinking that Hook is a very methodical, medium-term strategist. We were never going to win the comp last year, let alone challenge for it. He knew that. Playing Norman each week at least meant the young halves could stay in the slow cooker for a while longer. 'Releasing' Vaughan and Dufty now looks to me like he astutely isolated the discipline problem and also cleared the decks for (hopefully) clever recruitment. If this is a correct review of Hooks tenure to-date I would anticipate that he has visions of advancing a young hooker from our juniors into fist grade when the time is right.

The team now looks like a really good mix of experience and young talent. I'm expecting some of our experienced players to find a new inspiration as leaders of a team that can really aspire to achieving big things. I doubt that they've even been allowed to have that motivation for a long time past.
Good post @Mojo . Summed up my thoughts very nicely.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
The suspense is killing me. We have almost three and a half months before we face the Warriors next year. That's 108 days away. Holy toledo!

I'm guessing we will have a couple of trials and the obligatory Charity Shield before then but even those games are months away.

From now until then I'm hoping that our guys keep up with their training regime and keep out of trouble.

I'm still waiting for the club to officially announce the Sullivan signing. Would he be affected by a cooling off period?

Gareth67

First Grade

Absolutely agree The BRV , the mental stigma has always been the problem for too many seasons now . I most sincerely hope that Griffin’s first words to the players are “ Our goal is to get the Dragons into the semi finals . Every game we play we play to win - we play to our absolute potential “ or words to that effect .

This is his 2nd season now and the so called rebuilding phase is over , the team needs the results on the board , no more excuses .

As many have already said the Dragons now have a much stronger team with a good blend of youth and the old hands , on their day they should have a even money chance of winning .

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Now I'm coming around to thinking that Hook is a very methodical, medium-term strategist. We were never going to win the comp last year, let alone challenge for it. He knew that. Playing Norman each week at least meant the young halves could stay in the slow cooker for a while longer. 'Releasing' Vaughan and Dufty now looks to me like he astutely isolated the discipline problem and also cleared the decks for (hopefully) clever recruitment. If this is a correct review of Hooks tenure to-date I would anticipate that he has visions of advancing a young hooker from our juniors into fist grade when the time is right.

Couldn’t agree more with your second paragraph Mojo!

I hope for rugby league’s sake that last sentence happens because 2021 was a dogshit year.

Latest posts