What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Only in fumbleball.

Melbourne senior coach Simon Goodwin expects the AFL to investigate the incident between Harrison Petty and Lions captain Dayne Zorko that left the Demons defender in tears.

As I`ve heard them say in the commentary " it`s a hard, hard game ".

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only in fumbleball.

Melbourne senior coach Simon Goodwin expects the AFL to investigate the incident between Harrison Petty and Lions captain Dayne Zorko that left the Demons defender in tears.

As I`ve heard them say in the commentary " it`s a hard, hard game ".
What’s that got to do with media deals? Besides In a month where we lost greenie to suicide I’m not sure mocking someone’s mental health is a particularly cool thing to do.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I remember the Sunday afternoon delayed game. It was 1 hour delay. That time slot has now been live since 2015.

Certainly would be a major surprise if the AFL accepted delay matches in their tv deal.
There's an awful lot of pushback from Perth and Adelaide about losing their FTA games. Might be one way of appeasing that a bit. AFL fans are used to delayed games on FTA.

They face some difficult decisions, the success of their clubs business models has been on fan popularity and fan based revenue, putting more games behind paywalls reduces overall exposure which can lead to drop off in public interest.
That could be disastrous for clubs.
NRL decided, well was decided for, back in the mid 90's they would compromise active fan growth for tv revenue, if AFL and its clubs are willing to do that to get more centralized revenue at the expense of club generated revenue will be interesting to see. They've managed that balance well until now but this deal could significantly start to push it the other way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As AFL teams prepared for the final round of the regular season last week, media executives were huddled around computer screens, tweaking contracts for lawyers to pore through.
One participant of the talks described recent movements as the high drama-phase of what may be the biggest broadcast rights deal in Australian sports history.
With the top eight now decided, outgoing CEO Gillon McLachlan could deliver news of an agreement as early as this week.

For some time, AFL has held a claim to be the true national sporting competition. If the game’s executives can finalise a multi-year deal worth more than $500 million a year, the AFL will again show its status as the top dog in Australian sport.
Current rugby league, cricket, tennis and soccer deals will likely pale in comparison to the deal being negotiated to air the AFL beyond the 2024 season.
One source close to the negotiations predicted a strong result for the AFL, with observers predicting the game will secure something moderately above its previous deal.

Leaks and concessions​

Leaks to the media from the supposedly secret negotiations have complicated the process.

The AFL’s investment committee – made up of CEO McLachlan, chairman Richard Goyder, and commissioners Paul Bassat and Robin Bishop – has been apparently left frustrated as patchy details about the negotiations have trickled into public view. Some have been dismissed as broadcasters trying to “talk their book” in the press.

Seven West Media, owner of Channel 7, along with pay-TV provider Foxtel have been privately confident of again being the game’s broadcast partners, as this masthead reported last week.

A report from The Sydney Morning Herald claimed a significant hurdle had been cleared for the 7/Foxtel bid, which would see Channel 7 stream games on its 7Plus service.

But a source close to the negotiations said things are far from certain. Bids from Channel 10, with its streaming platform Paramount+, and Nine, owner of streamer Stan (and The Australian Financial Review), are still being considered.

If the AFL were to take the rights away from Seven – it’s free-to-air partner for all but a few years of the competition’s history – it would send shockwaves through the local broadcasting industry.

Tech on the sidelines​

Despite their best efforts, Australian sporting codes have been unable to drum up support for global tech and media giants to enter the fray.

A feature of recent global rights deals has been the presence of Amazon, Disney and Apple. Viewers “cord cutting” – that is, turning away from traditional cable bundles – has opened the door for these companies to offer low-fee monthly access to streaming platforms.

With these cashed-up companies around the negotiating table, competitions like the NFL, Indian Premier League cricket and English Premier League soccer have been able to secure mammoth deals. In June, the IPL signed a mammoth rights extension with Disney and a local broadcaster worth more than $8.5 billion for five years after Amazon sought out the rights.

Whoever succeeds McLachlan at the AFL will hope the tech and media giants come to the table next time around, ensuring the rights to Australia’s premiere football competition keep going up.

Wb1234

Referee
Lowest afl crowd average in 25 yrs and lowest aggregate in a long time too (ignoring covid affected years)

they really need paramount to sign that 600 million pa deal asap

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lowest afl crowd average in 25 yrs and lowest aggregate in a long time too (ignoring covid affected years)

they really need paramount to sign that 600 million pa deal asap
If only we could avg 31k fans to games!
Essendon, Eagles and Adelaide at bottom is largely cause of the 33k decade avg dropping to 31k.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
If only we could avg 31k fans to games!
Essendon, Eagles and Adelaide at bottom is largely cause of the 33k decade avg dropping to 31k.
I fear you show your fumbleball sympathetic leanings in posts like this. Any objective view of the facts would suggest that those three clubs being on the bottom of the table ( or whereever they are ) means that other clubs have climbed the ladder and that success and presumed increase in their crowds should compensate for any numbers lost by the aforementioned teams.
To suggest crowd numbers are down because x, y or z aren`t doing as well deliberately ignores this obvious fact.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I fear you show your fumbleball sympathetic leanings in posts like this. Any objective view of the facts would suggest that those three clubs being on the bottom of the table ( or whereever they are ) means that other clubs have climbed the ladder and that success and presumed increase in their crowds should compensate for any numbers lost by the aforementioned teams.
To suggest crowd numbers are down because x, y or z aren`t doing as well deliberately ignores this obvious fact.
not all things are equal, as we see in NRL, when some teams are going well their crowd swell is much greater than some others. You cant tell me if top 4 was Broncos, Dogs Eels and Souths the crowd avg wouldn't be bigger than it if the top 4 was Sharks, Roosters, Canberra and Manly.
Not that any of it is has to do with media deals, just Wb derailing again with his obsessions.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
not all things are equal, as we see in NRL, when some teams are going well their crowd swell is much greater than some others. You cant tell me if top 4 was Broncos, Dogs Eels and Souths the crowd avg wouldn't be bigger than it if the top 4 was Sharks, Roosters, Canberra and Manly.
Not that any of it is has to do with media deals, just Wb derailing again with his obsessions.
I can remember very clearly the Roosters getting regular crowds of 18000 - 20 000 in seasons when they are near the top of the table, Raiders and Manly close if not slightly less.
In fact explaining a drop of 2000 per game or 36 000 per round on whether some clubs crowds may have dropped somewhat and that drop hasn`t been made up by the success of other clubs doesn`t add up, certainly not a short fall of 36 000 per round or 800 000 + over the season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can remember very clearly the Roosters getting regular crowds of 18000 - 20 000 in seasons when they are near the top of the table, Raiders and Manly close if not slightly less.
In fact explaining a drop of 2000 per game or 36 000 per round on whether some clubs crowds may have dropped somewhat and that drop hasn`t been made up by the success of other clubs doesn`t add up, certainly not a short fall of 36 000 per round or 800 000 + over the season.
Its 18,000 a round. Eagles are down 17k a game, Essendon 10k a game, Adelaide 10k a game. When your big draw cards miss the 8 it impacts crowds. Certainly not in its entirety but it would be silly to think it doesn't. In contrast Freos , Melbournes and Geelongs crowds are same as recent years despite finishing top 5. There is a drop and AFL have noticed it and brought in some initiatives towards end of year to improve it.

But I again we digress, nothing to do with media deals beyond AFL being motivated to not see a further drop in crowds by whatever the TV deal creates.

Not sure after the flop of the A League that they will race to sports right again.

Maybe cricket to flog to the Indians
With so many major soccer leagues played around the world, it makes more sense for streaming companies to buy the Australian broadcast rights to these competitions.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
What’s that got to do with media deals? Besides In a month where we lost greenie to suicide I’m not sure mocking someone’s mental health is a particularly cool thing to do.
This bloke in tears is just another thing in a long list of childish remonstrating to the ref, pinching, dick grabbing in the change rooms, hair pulling, petty pushing and shoving all through the games that turns my stomach when I watch fumbleball. Give me the man on man contest that is League every day of the week.
The whole is encapsulated in League where teams cop a bad decision and there`s no crowding round the ref waving their arms, the players just get on with it. Fumbleball becomes more and more like soccer every year.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Its 18,000 a round. Eagles are down 17k a game, Essendon 10k a game, Adelaide 10k a game. When your big draw cards miss the 8 it impacts crowds. Certainly not in its entirety but it would be silly to think it doesn't. In contrast Freos , Melbournes and Geelongs crowds are same as recent years despite finishing top 5. There is a drop and AFL have noticed it and brought in some initiatives towards end of year to improve it.

But I again we digress, nothing to do with media deals beyond AFL being motivated to not see a further drop in crowds by whatever the TV deal creates.
Digressing or not I think your endless everything is rosy in fumbleball land has to be rebutted.
3 teams make the top 5 and their crowd figures hardly budge, ( I`d be far more concerned with that ) 3 other teams don`t make the eight and their crowds collapse, who`s to say and you assume that those teams figures will rebound if they make the eight again.
Maybe just like fumbleball crowd figures overall in the last 25 years, they are in slow decline.