What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Every day presents a different challenge. Abdo woke up on Saturday to news that Nine Entertainment, publishers of this masthead, was prepared to make a play for the cricket TV rights should Seven relinquish them. The development could impact how much money Nine has to offer the NRL when their current deal expires, but Abdo can see the upside of the situation.

“Channel Nine has previously had cricket and rugby league, and there are great synergies," he said.

“I see it as a positive sign. It’s consistent with what [Nine CEO] Hugh Marks has said to his shareholders: they will look for premium content and sport is a big part of that.

“That’s a call for them, but I don’t see it as detracting [from rugby league], I see it as enhancing.

“We are hopeful of extending our partnership with Channel Nine. We would like to do that, I have no information otherwise from them around their [partnership] with us long term.

“I don’t see what happens with cricket as a huge factor in that.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...p-out-of-v-landys-shadow-20200905-p55sop.html

taipan

Referee
And ch7 who are not keen on what the cricket is offering ,are also looking at a shot at the NRL.

Notice the comment about ch9 wanting the cricket and inferring, it's going to hit the NRL, came from you guessed it ,the SMH( part ownership of ch9.)

You can look at it from both sides, but the SMH all the time will look at it only from a ch9 perspective.Wow am I surprised,who woulda thought.No agendas here, next !!!

The following article, which is very germane to this topic, was published today by Crikey (source: https://www.crikey.com.au/2020/09/09/netflix-sport-streaming/) -

Netflix to players: we are not interested in competing for sports rights
GLENN DYER

Netflix co-founder Reed Hastings (Images: Wikicommons; AAP/Dave Hunt)

Bad news for all those sports around the world looking for new suckers — sorry, outlets — to play against their established broadcast partners: don’t count on Netflix to be interested.

Netflix has no interest in live sport or news, according to the streaming giant’s co-CEO Reed Hastings in an interview with the Financial Times.

As far as live sport is concerned, Hastings told the FT “there is no long-term profitability, nothing defensible”. The interview came ahead of the release of No Rules Rules, a new book co-written by Hastings.

Hasting’s view has to be acknowledged. Netflix dominates streaming video globally and the basis of its offer to viewers is timelessness, not timeliness. No one but a small rump of any audience really wants to watch sport where the result is already known.

That’s what a lot of sports and their advisers seem to not understand as they try to talk up broadcast rights involving streaming companies. Once the result is known, there is little interest in viewing the streamed game after the event, just as old news becomes old news. (And at least the Australian legacy TV networks understand the need for currency and speed in news.)

That is very different to the Netflix business model which is to spend heavily on a wide range of TV genres to draw in subscribers, who in turn like Netflix’s no-ads model and are willing to spend (at least in Australia) less than $20 a month in subscriptions.

Hastings made it clear to FT that Netflix is really an old-fashioned business: “It’s not TikTok. We are not creating a whole new form of entertainment … We are still making The Crown … It’s very traditional in many ways.”

But Netflix is very different from the companies it has disrupted — Disney, ViacomCBS, BBC, ABC, Seven, Nine, Ten, Fox, Foxtel and more.

Hastings and others have made the point of how lazy, old-line media companies allowed Netflix to emerge and flourish by selling Netflix rights to video products cheaply. Netflix also has no ads and low subscription costs, especially compared with Foxtel, which pulls in an average revenue per-month per-user of A$78 (which includes the low-cost offerings in Foxtel Now, Binge and Kayo).

Sports like soccer, NFL, NBA, AFL and NRL have often mentioned Netflix in the same breath as Amazon, Facebook and Google as potential broadcast partners as a way to pressure established broadcasters like Nine, Foxtel and Seven. But Hastings’ stance leaves no wriggle room: sport is not on the agenda.

So what does this mean in Australia? Our big sports will not be able to get an auction going for the next round of rights from 2022 onwards. Amazon might be interested — it does stream some US football and English soccer, and has broadcast some tennis matches. But it and other streaming players will have noted Hastings’ comments.

Streaming’s natural area of competence is in providing as much entertainment choice as possible for as many viewers as possible around the world.

According to Nine Entertainment there are more than 9 million streaming video subscribers in Australia, and its Stan platform has 2.2 million of those. There are dual subscription holders in that number, so the actual range could be closer to 7 million. That is getting close to saturation — eventually there will be a winnowing.

Its streaming, not Google or Facebook, that holds the great potential to damage TV in this country, and indirectly radio and print. (FM music radio networks face their own streaming threats from the likes of Spotify and Pandora, while talk and news radio have so far been relatively protected.)

Streaming’s real threat comes from the diversion of eyeballs away from free-to-air and cable on the same TV set. The streaming companies are taking more than $1.5 billion a year in fees. With no (or few) ads, streaming TV is like pay TV was in its early days — offering the idea of uninterrupted, ad-free choice.

Expensive offerings like Foxtel are the natural victims, followed by the free to air networks.

FTA will get more desperate for premium sport over the next decade. Local drama costs too much to produce ($760,000 an hour) and foreign shows no longer rate as well.

News draws high ratings and reality TV is relatively cheap to make, but shit to watch.

Live sport is the one thing the networks can offer to keep people tuning in, especially if it leads into or runs straight after their news bulletins.

The NRL should look introducing a couple more Brisbane clubs so they can air a Sydney derby into NSW on Ch9 at 7.30pm Friday, and a Queensland derby into Queensland at the same time. Foxtel can air both on their channels, which would be of benefit to them.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/11/how-much-do-networks-pay-for-local-drama.html

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
FTA will get more desperate for premium sport over the next decade. Local drama costs too much to produce ($760,000 an hour) and foreign shows no longer rate as well.

News draws high ratings and reality TV is relatively cheap to make, but shit to watch.

Live sport is the one thing the networks can offer to keep people tuning in, especially if it leads into or runs straight after their news bulletins.

The NRL should look introducing a couple more Brisbane clubs so they can air a Sydney derby into NSW on Ch9 at 7.30pm Friday, and a Queensland derby into Queensland at the same time. Foxtel can air both on their channels, which would be of benefit to them.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/11/how-much-do-networks-pay-for-local-drama.html

Live sport is pretty much the only thing that can attract a wide demographic these days. Only oldies watch news and current affairs on Commercial TV and mostly only young people watch reality TV garbage.

Live sport is pretty much the only thing that can attract a wide demographic these days. Only oldies watch news and current affairs on Commercial TV and mostly only young people watch reality TV garbage.
It's a pity our game hasn't been promoted to the Japanese, Chinese and Indians. Their timezones aren't too dissimilar to ours. Getting the game on TV there could pay dividends for the NRL in the future.

A couple of Perth teams would work great if there was a large interest in Japan and China.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Netflix doesn’t need sport, it’s a long long way ahead of the rest. However if the rest want to catch Netflix then there is nothing that generates weekly new content other than sport, and as people get through the back catalogue of old content they are going to switch streaming off unless there is something new to keep them. Of course the low cost is an impact or in terms of ROI but sport still offers something to streaming that no other content can. Whilst sport can seem expensive, to give it some context last year Netflix was estimated to have spent $15-17 billion US generating new content!

Smell My Finger

Juniors
For the first time in the history of the internet i think Taipan may be right, these hubs are costing the AFL a packet and then some, but it sure beats having no season at all.

AFL is what it is, all being even they rake in the doe.

colly

Juniors
For the first time in the history of the internet i think Taipan may be right, these hubs are costing the AFL a packet and then some, but it sure beats having no season at all.

I don't think you could even be classed as a fair weather friend- as in you joined yesterday. I suppose you could have been lurking. Taipan has been correct as the NRL as a business (it's a sport AND a business) were light years ahead of the rest of sport administrators. Yesterday Seven ( debts of 500 ml) with a share price of cents in the dollar, Put the legal, 21 day notice, to break the Cricket Australia TV ($425 m) contract. See Perth Red you have to work with your media partners ( see ya Greenberg) otherwise you loose it all. No competition, no money, on your arse.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Will be interesting to see the outcome. CA are the first sports org not to cave in to demands for a cheaper deal. I hope it goes to court and they win. tv has used Covid to stiff afl and nrl on their contracts, when tv ratings ended up being on par as previous years. If CA win this fight it will leave the two codes with egg on their faces, if they lose it will be some vindication for afl and nrl giving up hundreds of millions of contracted $’s.

ch7 are arguing the cricket product will be lessor, CA are arguing the contracts is still valid as they will deliver the amount of content promised.

Last edited:
I don't think you could even be classed as a fair weather friend- as in you joined yesterday. I suppose you could have been lurking. Taipan has been correct as the NRL as a business (it's a sport AND a business) were light years ahead of the rest of sport administrators. Yesterday Seven ( debts of 500 ml) with a share price of cents in the dollar, Put the legal, 21 day notice, to break the Cricket Australia TV ($425 m) contract. See Perth Red you have to work with your media partners ( see ya Greenberg) otherwise you loose it all. No competition, no money, on your arse.
PVL is a wise man.

We all need to accept that as long as the game's primary source of revenue comes from broadcast rights then any decision about its future will need their tick of approval.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Because it's popular and very well run.

How many years did they sign up with Fox again?

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Without sport TV is on it's arse.

Too much money is wasted on sport in this country. If the broadcasters aren't profiting from it, or at least breaking even, then they're paying too much. NRL and AwFuL would be buggered if Foxtel went broke.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Without sport TV is on it's arse.

fox would be, fta it’s hard to say, sport doesnt draw massive audiences for the amount it costs them. I guess it must be paying its way for now but as audiences switch to other options like streaming and advertisers have more diversified options it’s hard t see sports rights value being maintained.

as for losing fox killing the game, not really. If we lost fox tomorrow it would only mean overall revenue dropping to the same level we were at 5 years ago. Might also mean the nrl got its sht together with its own streaming production and increasing other revenue. Fta would be worth more as we could sell stairway night game.
Might also mean clubs could increase revenue from attendance if 5 of the weekends games were on a Sunday afternoon!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nine Entertainment Co boss Hugh Marks has pledged to drive a hard bargain in talks with the NRL over the extension of a key rights deal as he looks to trim more costs from the company's core television business.

The broadcasting and publishing company, which owns The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, swung to a $575 million loss for the 2020 financial year with revenue sliding 7 per cent

arlier this year, Nine moved swiftly to cut costs to mitigate the impact of COVID-19, including by renegotiating its current NRL deal and suspending bonuses for top executives. "The reason we did [not extend with the NRL] is because we wanted to see what happened over the next couple of years," Mr Marks said.

"Everything needs to pay its way," Mr Marks said. "What we’d hope is that maybe we can lift NRL performance and maybe that will justify the price. But if it doesn’t perform for us, then everything has to pay its way. That’ll be part of the negotiations when they happen."

Subscription streaming service Stan, which this week announced plans for a large increase in investment in original projects and a multi-million dollar content deal with NBC Universal, reported revenue growth of 54 per cent to $242 million. Stan now has about 2.2 million subscribers.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...ving-despite-deep-losses-20200827-p55pq7.html

Nine Entertainment Co boss Hugh Marks has pledged to drive a hard bargain in talks with the NRL over the extension of a key rights deal as he looks to trim more costs from the company's core television business.

The broadcasting and publishing company, which owns The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, swung to a $575 million loss for the 2020 financial year with revenue sliding 7 per cent

arlier this year, Nine moved swiftly to cut costs to mitigate the impact of COVID-19, including by renegotiating its current NRL deal and suspending bonuses for top executives. "The reason we did [not extend with the NRL] is because we wanted to see what happened over the next couple of years," Mr Marks said.

"Everything needs to pay its way," Mr Marks said. "What we’d hope is that maybe we can lift NRL performance and maybe that will justify the price. But if it doesn’t perform for us, then everything has to pay its way. That’ll be part of the negotiations when they happen."

Subscription streaming service Stan, which this week announced plans for a large increase in investment in original projects and a multi-million dollar content deal with NBC Universal, reported revenue growth of 54 per cent to $242 million. Stan now has about 2.2 million subscribers.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...ving-despite-deep-losses-20200827-p55pq7.html
Lol I bet you opened the bottle of baby oil & reached for the tissues after reading that .
Watch Fairfax churn out the anti RL/PVL articles continiously .
& you will lap up every word as gospel ...

taipan

Referee
Lol I bet you opened the bottle of baby oil & reached for the tissues after reading that .
Watch Fairfax churn out the anti RL/PVL articles continiously .
& you will lap up every word as gospel ...

Part owner of ch9 (The SMH) pushing a future negotiation barrow for 9s head Marks.Colour me surprised, thrown me a red bandana ,who woulda thought.Someone plugging(uncorroborated of course) their business, and how they are stretched.
Ch 7 is wants to get out of cricket if need be ,dare I suggest maybe an interest in the NRL or SOO>

The same SMH fluff, that went out prior to the renegotiation of the current contract.
The very reason the NRL kept digital up their sleeve and kept Telstra on the sideline.

Marks admits he needs a couple of years to see how the economy is going.Good I hope 7 gazumps him.

News and SMH are in business, their business comes first, the NRL comes a distant second.We are just a means to an end. But, but SMH are always spot on.Fact is both their businesses are facing financial mountains to climb and are desperate to get deals el cheapo.
Wasn't it SMH who said Greenberg couldn't run a business ,yet PR likes to quote them on other issues and feel sorry for Greenberg now.

Latest posts