What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Steel Saints

Juniors
With a lack of moderation in the NRL Media Watch, and with so much talk about AFL, i might as well articulate a weakness in their deal.

Now $4.5 billion over 7 years is massive. Very impressive indeed. It has opened up not just a big gap of broadcast/media revenue over NRL, but also all other sports in this country.

However, the one obvious weakness is the length of the deal- 7 years. And it gives the NRL an opportunity to chase it down, just like in a cricket ODI game. Granted, Fox would've said to the AFL, " if you sign a contract that is longer than 5 years, we will you give more per year."

Fox no doubt wanted to tie down the AFL for as long as possible and not allow it to go to another competitor like Nine's Stan Sport or Ten's Paramount +. It's all well and good from Fox, but it may have left the door open for a disgruntled governing body like the NRL to do something different post 2027.

Now let's have a hypothetical scenario.

In the next few years (2022-2025), the NRL make changes to the commission, such as replacing the chairman and hire people that know how to negotiate media deals and are not intimidated from outside noises, particularly from News Corp. And have also announced the 18th club.

In those years (2022-2025), the NRL is having dialogue with potential partners like Stan, Paramount, Amazon Prime and whoever else. Btw, I'll leave out the FTA component in this arguement, and just concentrate on the pay subscription side of the deal.

In 2025, the AFL begins their massive $4.5 billlion deal over 7 years. It represents a huge gap between AFL and NRL. The gap is quite big, for the next few years (2025-2027), NRL fans will 'partly fund' the AFL deal by subscribing Kayo. And with so much money invested, Fox will most certainly have a price rise in Kayo packages.

Around that same time, (2025), the NRL are going through a tender bidding process. They are like a cricket side batting second and chasing down a total. They need a Gilchrist and Hayden opening stand, Ponting, Martyn and Clarke consolidating in the middle and Bevan finishing the job. It is team effort from the commission. And then the unthinkable happens. The NRL have signed a massive deal themselves, not with Fox, but with someone else (insert providers name). It has shocked both the AFL and Fox.

From 2028 to 2031, the AFL all of a sudden are alone at Fox. NRL fans leave Kayo in droves and go to the new platform the NRL finds itself in. Now it comes down to the AFL fans subscribing Kayo only.

With NRL fans leaving and with so much loss revenue, Fox/ Kayo need to have another price rise as a way to continue to subsidise the $4.5 billion deal. However some AFL fans dont like the latest price hike, and therefore unsubscribed Kayo.

The AFL go to the marketplace for the 2032 deal and beyond. What they see is Fox severely weakened and one provider still tied up with the NRL. The AFL have a figure in mind, but this time, Fox is struggling to reach that mark.

The AFL goes to another provider, and it offers slightly more than Fox. Out of all of this long and winding post, the AFL has found it's true value.

Colk

First Grade
a young player signs a contract when hes a prospect , turns out to be a gun
wants to be rewarded in the life of the contract he signed when he was a prospect
happens all the time

what foxtel will get in return for honoring the verbal agreement to look after the NRL for taking less during covid & when they were able to ( which is now ) is getting a fair run at the 28-32 deal

if its no to looking after the NRL now
then the NRL's response to that 2nd bit will be the same ...... no

I personally hope that you are miraculously right but News Ltd own us mate and have done for nearly 30 years. They will probably throw their dog a bone, and lock us for another 10 or so years and he will be content

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Not a lot.
WA Govt bought 2 games a year for 3 years in 2020 (Roosters and Dogs games) but fell through due to covid.
NRL funds NRLWA around $750k a year.
Sends over ambassadors to regional areas as part of mental health community programs they are funded for.
Aside from that nothing else really.
Which you would think if the NRL were keen on a club they would have a strong presence and indicate they are interested in a club there however they have done the opposite and news corp have only been interested in east coast.

Wb1234

Referee
To be honest the Lions have struggled with nearly ten years of losses till just recently and are only still around because of substantial bail outs from the AFL. Their ratings after all this time in Brisbane are still pretty abysmal compared to the Broncos.
That’s the thing at least the swans don’t get any special handouts in terms of afl distribution

the lions are a basket case then what do the afl do ? Add the suns who are an even bigger basket case

it’s going to be fun seeing the phins squeezing the life out of those fumble ball clubs

Colk

First Grade
Which you would think if the NRL were keen on a club they would have a strong presence and indicate they are interested in a club there however they have done the opposite and news corp have only been interested in east coast.

I honestly think we are giving the administration way too much credit. Frankly I don’t think they know what they are going to do yet (or know what they are doing full stop)

It wouldn’t surprise if they went with another New Zealand side but then they treat the current side appallingly and have invested very little in NZ.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Did they, really? I dont think anyone thought Giants would be an instant or even medium term success. It was team nobody was asking for in an area no one wanted them. If they can eventually carve out a market share remains to be seen. And guess what, it certainly hasn't harmed their tv negotiations has it?!
Reality is they are saturated in their home markets so to increase their content for sale and expand their national footprint an perception as national sport Qlnd and Sydney were obvious choices, particularly given how well the Swans and Lions have done.
It has helped them get record sponsorship deals and record Tv deals so spending $50-60mill on them is nothing.
They will have to do the hard yards for many many years as they will never have the luxury of a super league war to push them forward as the Swans did.

Colk

First Grade
With a lack of moderation in the NRL Media Watch, and with so much talk about AFL, i might as well articulate a weakness in their deal.

Now $4.5 billion over 7 years is massive. Very impressive indeed. It has opened up not just a big gap of broadcast/media revenue over NRL, but also all other sports in this country.

However, the one obvious weakness is the length of the deal- 7 years. And it gives the NRL an opportunity to chase it down, just like in a cricket ODI game. Granted, Fox would've said to the AFL, " if you sign a contract that is longer than 5 years, we will you give more per year."

Fox no doubt wanted to tie down the AFL for as long as possible and not allow it to go to another competitor like Nine's Stan Sport or Ten's Paramount +. It's all well and good from Fox, but it may have left the door open for a disgruntled governing body like the NRL to do something different post 2027.

Now let's have a hypothetical scenario.

In the next few years (2022-2025), the NRL make changes to the commission, such as replacing the chairman and hire people that know how to negotiate media deals and are not intimidated from outside noises, particularly from News Corp. And have also announced the 18th club.

In those years (2022-2025), the NRL is having dialogue with potential partners like Stan, Paramount, Amazon Prime and whoever else. Btw, I'll leave out the FTA component in this arguement, and just concentrate on the pay subscription side of the deal.

In 2025, the AFL begins their massive $4.5 billlion deal over 7 years. It represents a huge gap between AFL and NRL. The gap is quite big, for the next few years (2025-2027), NRL fans will 'partly fund' the AFL deal by subscribing Kayo. And with so much money invested, Fox will most certainly have a price rise in Kayo packages.

Around that same time, (2025), the NRL are going through a tender bidding process. They are like a cricket side batting second and chasing down a total. They need a Gilchrist and Hayden opening stand, Ponting, Martyn and Clarke consolidating in the middle and Bevan finishing the job. It is team effort from the commission. And then the unthinkable happens. The NRL have signed a massive deal themselves, not with Fox, but with someone else (insert providers name). It has shocked both the AFL and Fox.

From 2028 to 2031, the AFL all of a sudden are alone at Fox. NRL fans leave Kayo in droves and go to the new platform the NRL finds itself in. Now it comes down to the AFL fans subscribing Kayo only.

With NRL fans leaving and with so much loss revenue, Fox/ Kayo need to have another price rise as a way to continue to subsidise the $4.5 billion deal. However some AFL fans dont like the latest price hike, and therefore unsubscribed Kayo.

The AFL go to the marketplace for the 2032 deal and beyond. What they see is Fox severely weakened and one provider still tied up with the NRL. The AFL have a figure in mind, but this time, Fox is struggling to reach that mark.

The AFL goes to another provider, and it offers slightly more than Fox. Out of all of this long and winding post, the AFL has found it's true value.

I think you need complete reform of the administrative structure for that to happen but that would be ideal. The idea of Fox being totally screwed is quite funny to imagine

Ramsay Snow

Juniors
I think you need complete reform of the administrative structure for that to happen but that would be ideal. The idea of Fox being totally screwed is quite funny to imagine
You dumb f**ks have been talking about Foxtels downfall for over 30years, it’s always ‘ok they got us this time, but next time - next time! We’re going to get the eye holes in the head bags right and we go full regalia’ rinse and repeat.

Now I’m not pointing any fingers, but, the bags could’ve been done better.

Last edited:

Ramsay Snow

Juniors
haha, are you drunk or delusional? If you think Vlandys is going to get them to stump up a $160mill gap with Fox AFTER signing on the dotted line I want a pint of whatever you are on!
You're denial in this situation is admirable, if not a little tedious. Its ok to say, sorry guys I was wrong and he fcked this up big time. We wont judge you too harshly, not everyone is good at reading people, many get sucked in by the Donald Trumps of the world. Nothing to be too ashamed of.
Denial is an important part of the grieving process, anger will follow.

Ramsay Snow

Juniors
What you guys need to know about Baseline Panther is he is an alt of Phil McGrawhan, hence why I call him Phillip, he wouldn’t care if the NRL got $10 for their rights as long as the AFL got $9, then he would be happy, he couldn’t give a flying f**k about anything else, trust me I have known him a long time.

Colk

First Grade
You dumb f**ks have been talking about Foxtels downfall for over 30years, it’s always ‘ok they got us this time, but next time - next time! We’re going to get the eye holes in the head bags right and we go full regalia’ rinse and repeat.

Now I’m not pointing any fingers, but, the bags could’ve been done better.

What the hell are you talking about? Why are you using mixed metaphors for example?

Secondly, if you are going to call anybody a dumb f**** you might want to write a sentence that actually makes sense. For example sentences with proper syntax, grammar and comprehension.

Wb1234

Referee

Now I’m not pointing any fingers, but, the bags could’ve been done bette

You like to watch this for 3 hours ?

Iamback

Coach
You are spot on about the giants

but the afl are too stupid or arrogant to realise this so will spend another billion on them for zero return

probably one of the worst expansion teams in Australian sporting history and that includes the hunter mariners

As useless as the Giants are the Campbelltown A League takes that crown

Wb1234

Referee
If they got 30 million pa like the giants do they would be massive even though it’s a league

plus the giants have had close to 100 hundred million of govt money spent on stadia for them

plus the 3 million or so the act govt pay them for games

Colk

First Grade

There has been some bad ones in the A-League. The North Queensland side, the Gold Coast side owned by Clive Palmer.

I remember reading an article in Melbourne where people hadn’t even heard of the Melbourne side who won the competition.

That competition has some problems.

Wb1234

Referee
There has been some bad ones in the A-League. The North Queensland side, the Gold Coast side owned by Clive Palmer.

I remember reading an article in Melbourne where people hadn’t even heard of the Melbourne side who won the competition.

That competition has some problems.
The a league ones were good ideas their failure is more so the game itself doesn’t have the money in this country and all the hardcore soccer fans just watch the pl

it’s a shame soccer wasn’t stronger we would have much better stadia

Indeed the rebuild of parra stadium was mainly for the wanderers not the eels