What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023/24 Off Season

Matua

Bench
Yep I get what you’re saying but again, other than Mounga and Frizel, I’m struggling to think of any overseas based players who are any better than those based at home?

The down side to opening up eligibility is it’ll completely gut SR which is already on its knees. If we’re going to pay that price it should only be because the alternative is worse but IMO we’re still coping pretty well for now.
Yeah NZ rugby is done for if overseas eligibility is opened up.

And the reality is we're losing the lower players rather than the big ones, and TBF the advent of USA rugby has meant we're retaining more of them for NPC as they can supplement the income each way.

We don't want to to get to a stage like the Kiwis in the 90s where we don't have some of our best players for test because they're playing in the wrong hemisphere or they rush back for 48 hour round trips.

Razor was stupid to bring it up twice, especially for Mo'unga (and the flake Frizell).

I mean not selecting them - I think there should be preference for players here, but why would you not pick the best players - especially those playing in UK and France where the standard is very high... Japan you'd have to evaluate more closely
Can you name a player from the NH who would have been an automatic selection for the RWC last year? I regularly see people mentioned Luatua, and can only assume nobody watched Samoa play at all.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah NZ rugby is done for if overseas eligibility is opened up.

And the reality is we're losing the lower players rather than the big ones, and TBF the advent of USA rugby has meant we're retaining more of them for NPC as they can supplement the income each way.

We don't want to to get to a stage like the Kiwis in the 90s where we don't have some of our best players for test because they're playing in the wrong hemisphere or they rush back for 48 hour round trips.

Razor was stupid to bring it up twice, especially for Mo'unga (and the flake Frizell).

Can you name a player from the NH who would have been an automatic selection for the RWC last year? I regularly see people mentioned Luatua, and can only assume nobody watched Samoa play at all.
I was thinking more of the future - the sabbatical options are step 1, I think the money here is good, but there could be more people going overseas earlier...

Yea agree... hugely selfish too IMO.

He knows the potential impact on SR, just as his predecessor did, and only a few months ago, he would've been one of the people trying to deal with that mess. But now he's in a position to benefit from it, he's happy to advocate for it. Not cool.

But back to league stuff... for his faults, Razor is a smart guy and has strong connections with French rugby so I'd imagine he'll be watching Manu's development closely and getting plenty of inside feedback. Especially if he ends up at La Rochelle with O'Gara.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Last edited:

Matua

Bench
I was thinking more of the future - the sabbatical options are step 1, I think the money here is good, but there could be more people going overseas earlier...
But we've been hearing the same thing for 20 odd years now, it's always going to happen in the future but hasn't yet.

I agree we're probably at a crossroads due to the Saffas ditching Super rugby but it's by no means the foregone conclusion people make out. The top players tend to stay due to the AB carrot.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
JWH confirms this is his last season in the NRL

Sipley has copped a 3 week ban for a crusher on Young, Young out of round 1 in Vegas. Tough one as Young turns around in contact and has his back to Sipley, not sure if this is correct or not but if it is, it is ridiculous, Sipley named to play this week as pre season games don’t count in suspensions. If pre season games can cause you to miss NRL footy, then they should also count in a ban

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
JWH confirms this is his last season in the NRL

Sipley has copped a 3 week ban for a crusher on Young, Young out of round 1 in Vegas. Tough one as Young turns around in contact and has his back to Sipley, not sure if this is correct or not but if it is, it is ridiculous, Sipley named to play this week as pre season games don’t count in suspensions. If pre season games can cause you to miss NRL footy, then they should also count in a ban
This is outrageous. You can get banned in a pre-season game but a pre-season game doesn't count as serving a ban? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Rich102

Staff member
The Sharks have announced experienced prop Braden Hamlin-Uele has signed a contract extension that will keep him in the Shire until the end of 2026.

His two-year deal was announced on Wednesday, with Sharks officials fending off a reported offer from the Warriors to recruit the 29-year-old.

Hamlin-Uele arrived at the club in 2018, having played a single game for the Cowboys before his 98 for the Sharks.

Speaking in a club statement, the veteran prop explained an emotional realisation led to him re-signing and committing his future to the Cronulla club.

“I had this sort of realisation moment of having to look at the boys and tell them - if I was to leave - that I was leaving,” he said.

“I just broke down and cried and I knew just then that I’m meant to be a Cronulla Shark for as long as I can and I’m meant to be in the Shire.

“This club means everything to me, the boys mean everything to me.

“I love them like a second family and I’m just so grateful and thankful that I can be here for another two years with them.”

General manager of football Darren Mooney spoke glowingly of Hamlin-Uele and labelled him an “outstanding person”.

“Fitzy and I are extremely happy that Braden has made the decision to remain a Shark. He’s a top-quality middle forward who always offers our team fantastic impact,” Mooney said.

“More than that, he’s an outstanding person who has developed himself on and off the field during his time at the club. He possesses terrific leadership qualities and helps set the standard for our younger players.

“We look forward to seeing him injury free and playing at his explosive best this season and into the future.”

Bugger that's unfortunate...

Anyone know Terrell May's latest status? last I read he was reportedly staying but has it been confirmed yet?

Given his stated preference to play with his brother(s), I wouldn't be upset if we pitched a package deal for him and Taylan. I know we're pretty well served in the outside backs but Taylan was a beast in '22. Both young and plenty of good years ahead too.

Otherwise Frank Molo might be a useful option unless he's already been re-signed.

Izz

Bench
We do have some good kids coming through, so that might the direction the club decides to go.

I'm kinda happy we didn't get Hamlin-Uele tbh. Don't think he's worth the money, especially if we've got prospects already in the system.

Maiu'u looks the goods (despite his over-enthusiastic tackle). I reckon we'll see him in FG sometime this season. And while Stowers-Smith only got about 10 minutes he looked very promising, too. And his build reminds me of Iafeta Paleaaesina.

If Niukore moves to the middle (I guess we'll see if that's the plan this weekend), this season might be AFB, Barnett, Niukore, with a mix of Afoa, Ale (who looked good later in the game on the weekend, but got pretty dominated early when Wests had their full-strength pack on), and possibly Maiu'u, with the plan for 2025 being Niukore, Barnett, Maiu'u, with a bit of Afoa, Ale, and hopefully some Stowers-Smith.

On a side note, pretty excited to see Laban and Leiataua continue to develop this season. They're going to be damaging, both individually and as a duo!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Remember when we surrendered AFB to the Sharks and got nothing in return?
Rings a bell...

Happens way too often now, far from us being the first ones.

But yeah, we have some good young talent coming through by the looks - first time in a long time.

And I love that Hamlin-Uele was thinking of going but knew he couldn't face leaving his mates. No problem with a bit of loyalty still existing in the game - I am sure he could have got more $ here.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Mai’u successful with the downgrade on his charge- downgrades to careless, will miss two games so available from round 3 (apparently trials don’t count).

Latest posts