What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023/24 Off Season

Chimp

Bench
How would you guys feel about a Braden Hamlin-Uele/AFB trade with the Sharks? Obviously a downgrade for you, but I reckon one of the better options out there, and would give you probably $500k back in salary cap.

JJ

Immortal
How would you guys feel about a Braden Hamlin-Uele/AFB trade with the Sharks? Obviously a downgrade for you, but I reckon one of the better options out there, and would give you probably $500k back in salary cap.
I’d hope they’d look at options like this, but not interested in a one year rental, if a downgrade then hopefully a longer cheaper contract, and the hope of improvements.

the contract situation and the apparent meaninglessness of them in the NRL is a strange contrast with how things work in the big sports internationally

Chimp

Bench
I’d hope they’d look at options like this, but not interested in a one year rental, if a downgrade then hopefully a longer cheaper contract, and the hope of improvements.

the contract situation and the apparent meaninglessness of them in the NRL is a strange contrast with how things work in the big sports internationally
It wouldn’t be a 1 year rental, BHU is only contracted for 24’, so it could be Sharks agree to give you BHU (who you sign on a multi-year deal) in return for you releasing AFB for Sharks to sign him on a multi-year deal - but Sharks would want it to happen for 2024 season.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It wouldn’t be a 1 year rental, BHU is only contracted for 24’, so it could be Sharks agree to give you BHU (who you sign on a multi-year deal) in return for you releasing AFB for Sharks to sign him on a multi-year deal - but Sharks would want it to happen for 2024 season.
Can't really see what's in it for us TBH- we'd be better off just signing BHU for 2025. UNless the SHarks are going to pay half his 2024 salary and all of AFB's.

Chimp

Bench
Can't really see what's in it for us TBH- we'd be better off just signing BHU for 2025. UNless the SHarks are going to pay half his 2024 salary and all of AFB's.
I guess you get rid of a ‘wantaway’ player, get a decent prop with plenty of upside at probably half the price, giving you around $500k in salary cap space - so essentially you get BHU plus another $500k player for AFB.

I guess you get rid of a ‘wantaway’ player, get a decent prop with plenty of upside at probably half the price, giving you around $500k in salary cap space - so essentially you get BHU plus another $500k player for AFB.
IMO, only if there's another player available for '24 at a similar price and with similar upside to BUH. Otherwise I think keep AFB for '24 and continuing to work on '25 in the meantime.

Izz

Bench
Connor Tracey released to the dogs
Gould's definitely doing all he can to buy the Bulldogs some success. Dunno, though. One, I don't know that I rate Ciraldo as a coach, though I'd definitely be interested to hear others opinions on that. And two, it doesn't really feel to me like Gould is putting a team together, just a bunch of individuals

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Gould's definitely doing all he can to buy the Bulldogs some success. Dunno, though. One, I don't know that I rate Ciraldo as a coach, though I'd definitely be interested to hear others opinions on that. And two, it doesn't really feel to me like Gould is putting a team together, just a bunch of individuals
A lot of utilities in Tracey, Mann, Hutchinson, Salmon, Taafe

Their worst signing is probably Kikau, thought that from the second they signed him, flat track bully that you won’t see when the going gets tough

Reactions: Izz

JJ

Immortal
A lot of utilities in Tracey, Mann, Hutchinson, Salmon, Taafe

Their worst signing is probably Kikau, thought that from the second they signed him, flat track bully that you won’t see when the going gets tough
Kikau is the one who should really have stayed at Penrith (but faced with the $$ I guess you can't expect any of them to stay) - huge weapon there, and in that context he was more than a flat track bully imo, but without the greatness around him, he's yet to show anything...

Salary cap remains a real issue - should be something done to allow home grown teams to stay together, Kikau, Capewell, and Api not in that category, but most the others they've lost/will lose should have been keepable (Burton, Crichton, Staines, Luai if he goes etc)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Not sure how many SENZ listeners there are on here, but Tony Kemp made a very quick and sudden exit from the breakfast show today

didn’t agree with many of his opinions (his final one this morning a great example lol, Wally Lewis shouldn’t be an immortal because Olsen used to carve him up), but he did provide a lot of league content and push the sport on the show.

JJ

Immortal
Not sure how many SENZ listeners there are on here, but Tony Kemp made a very quick and sudden exit from the breakfast show today

didn’t agree with many of his opinions (his final one this morning a great example lol, Wally Lewis shouldn’t be an immortal because Olsen used to carve him up), but he did provide a lot of league content and push the sport on the show.
Olsen had his moments, but yeah, nah…

Brett Kenny might be the better argument (tbh I think the immortal concept is a bit dumb but the fact that Meninga is there and Sterlo and Kenny aren’t is weird imo)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Kemp had Mark Graham as the next immortal lol

Wayne Bennett has sent Valynce Te Whare away because of the condition he has turned up in, off to a personal boot camp. Speaking of pre season training, bizarre that Herbie Farnworth turned up to run around with Brisbane last week

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
8 million - I'll go out on a limb and suggest that contract won't age well
Probably depends on the structure of the deal, if it is a flat money contract, with a salary cap going north every year it may look a bargain in 2029, if it is a percentage of the cap deal it looks a bit different

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Probably depends on the structure of the deal, if it is a flat money contract, with a salary cap going north every year it may look a bargain in 2029, if it is a percentage of the cap deal it looks a bit different
Yep, but forwards like this can decline quickly

fortune telling is difficult, right now he’s a good buy