What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023/24 Off Season

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Not sure how many SENZ listeners there are on here, but Tony Kemp made a very quick and sudden exit from the breakfast show today

didn’t agree with many of his opinions (his final one this morning a great example lol, Wally Lewis shouldn’t be an immortal because Olsen used to carve him up), but he did provide a lot of league content and push the sport on the show.
This sounds like a win for SENZ.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I guess you get rid of a ‘wantaway’ player, get a decent prop with plenty of upside at probably half the price, giving you around $500k in salary cap space - so essentially you get BHU plus another $500k player for AFB.
We can't afford to lose AFB and all momentum we built from last year. You can't do that deal for anyone who isn't a top tier NRL prop, and none of them are coming right now. I know there are those of us who think AFB will be a lost cause next year - and they may well be right - but I'm happy to see how it plays out, knowing our recruitment is good these days and they're working on 2025 now.

JJ

Immortal
Luai has reportedly signed a 5 year deal with the Tigers
Shame Penrith have to lose so many of the players they’ve developed, shame Luai can’t see he’s on good money anyway and they could continue to do amazing things at Penrith

but I understand his decision, that said the Tigers are a clusterf**k top to bottom

Last edited:

Izz

Bench
Will be interesting to see how he goes outside Penrith. My feeling is that the Panthers will do just fine without him but he might not do so well without them...

JJ

Immortal
Will be interesting to see how he goes outside Penrith. My feeling is that the Panthers will do just fine without him but he might not do so well without them...
Think they’ll miss him, but he’s not irreplaceable and much easier playing with Nathan I’d expect, still think Burton was the better one to keep but somehow not right that they lose both

Reactions: Izz

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Feels like an awful fit for the Tigers. A guy who has almost enough premiership rings to fill a fist, on huge money, in a team of spuds. He can't turn that side around on his own, he's not that sort of player nor is he (to me) that elite level $1m player like a Cleary, Haas etc. He fits very well in the strong Panthers system but not in a bog average Tigers spine. And when shit hits the fan, and the money keeps rolling in, how motivated will he be? To Koroisau's great credit, he went pretty well in a spoon side, but that's a different role.

Reactions: Izz
Feels like an awful fit for the Tigers. A guy who has almost enough premiership rings to fill a fist, on huge money, in a team of spuds. He can't turn that side around on his own, he's not that sort of player nor is he (to me) that elite level $1m player like a Cleary, Haas etc. He fits very well in the strong Panthers system but not in a bog average Tigers spine. And when shit hits the fan, and the money keeps rolling in, how motivated will he be? To Koroisau's great credit, he went pretty well in a spoon side, but that's a different role.
Yea that's the risk for sure. That said, he seems a pretty proud dude. Some of his social media posts, especially the one after Cleary Snr's comments, suggests he's someone who gets a kick out of trying to prove people wrong.

I agree, I dont know if he's the sort of player the Tigers need to drive the team around. But IMO, he wont lack for motivation to keep trying. And who knows... with Api creating space around the ruck, they may unlock each other.

Regardless I hope they go well. After what the Tigers did for our boys this year and with Benji now coach, they're my new second team.

Meth

Staff member

He's a million dollar player, but only in this market. Probably worth 750-800, but you need to pay overs and the Tigers will.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I note Volkman only opted for a one year contract at the Dragons- leaving the door open to come back in 2025 with a season of first grade under his belt if SJ retires?

Izz

Bench
I note Volkman only opted for a one year contract at the Dragons- leaving the door open to come back in 2025 with a season of first grade under his belt if SJ retires?
Here's hoping!

Though if he goes well his price will go up

Grizzman

Juniors
Luai, one of the most unlikeable players in the comp with Benji, one of the most. It will be interesting to watch that dynamic too. Luai's leash may be a little tighter.