What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Dark Corner

Juniors
Many foreigners are confused that footy in Vic is completely different to footy in NSW

The confuse the city of Sydney with Melbourne culture
I bet they got more confused in the old days when Rugby League and Rugby Union was played on Cricket Ovals like the SCG and then you had Aussie Rules Football as well.

EuroNymous

Juniors
RD 15

Gold Coast v Wests 12k
Canberra v New Zealand 22k
Manly v The 13k
St George v South Sydney 11k
Brisbane v Newcastle 32k
Sydney v Penrith 18k
Melbourne v Cronulla 17k
Canterbury v Parramatta 34k

159k with 19.75k average

No1_Eel

Juniors
I saw on this thread someone predicted 22k for Dogs/Parra. I’m pretty even when one of us has been coming last we have gotten a crowd similar or over that so good to see tickets are tracking well.

Games like these are the ONLY NRL games that should be at Homebush. Two big Sydney supported clubs.

Thats because anyone in north of england knows theres only one rugby worth talking about, rugby league.
Union is toff ball and football is, well football lol.
Why Australians need to call every code football remains a mystery to me.

It seems to be an American import…

NFL gave “football” a level of prestige

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
When you use the word football for rugby league do you cringe a bit ?

When Aussies use the word Rugby for Rugby Union do you cringe a bit?

Why Australians need to call every code football remains a mystery to me.

Where I grew up to say footy meant league, where are you from?
Facts of the matter are saying "Rugby League", "rugby union" and "australian rules " is a mouthful in general conversation, so this is why everyone just says "football". Except rugby union of course who now have a mortgage on rugby and therefore can use that.
It comes down to the number of syllables, three is too many, two you can get away with, unless of course you are at a Donald Trump rally where three syllables works perfectly fine, especially when yelling out things like "lock her up", " drain the swamp" or even " build that wall".

Wb1234

Referee
Facts of the matter are saying "Rugby League", "rugby union" and "australian rules " is a mouthful in general conversation, so this is why everyone just says "football". Except rugby union of course who now have a mortgage on rugby and therefore can use that.
It comes down to the number of syllables, three is too many, two you can get away with, unless of course you are at a Donald Trump rally where three syllables works perfectly fine, especially when yelling out things like "lock her up", " drain the swamp" or even " build that wall".
Poms actually call it rugby

and it’s union for our rival code just bc they tried to claim to be the only rugby code they aren’t

The Great Dane

First Grade
The other thing is that all the sports that have been talked about here have as much right to refer to themselves as football as any other.

All of them are forms of football, none of them has a right to monopolise the term football, and anybody suggesting otherwise is historically illiterate.

Wb1234

Referee
The other thing is that all the sports that have been talked about here have as much right to refer to themselves as football as any other.

All of them are forms of football, none of them has a right to monopolise the term football, and anybody suggesting otherwise is historically illiterate.
Footballroos

I dont often agree with you, but youre on it here…

Any Australian code that thinks it can call itself “Football” and be immediately recognised is delusional.

“Football” is the catch-all and each has its own distinguishing nickname

Poms actually call it rugby

and it’s union for our rival code just bc they tried to claim to be the only rugby code they aren’t

The thing that REALLY shits me about RL branding is that we could actually reclaim “Rugby” if we just played it in the write way…

“Rugby Competition” is clearly going to be a confusing brand and it will NEVER work outside of NSW/QLD/NZ/GB

Instead, if we had a brand “xxxx Rugby” (in the same way sport brand as “xxxx Football”), I think the logic would be straightforward even for first time fans

Even League Rugby makes more sense than what we have now