What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Eels vs Roosters crowd at Commbank Stadium = 20,076:

Parramatta ends the season with a crowd average of 18,314 from 12 home games (down 8% from 20,015 in 2022).

If you remove the one home game they took to Darwin, Parramatta has averaged 18,901 at Commbank (down 10% from 20,924 in 2022). 5 of their 10 home games at Commbank drew over 20,000 this year (down from 6 in 2022).

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Warriors averaging:
22,028 at Mt Smart.
20,850 all home games in NZ.
21,238 all games in NZ. (With Waikato away game).

One regular season game to go.
Next week you’d think would be a guaranteed sellout, exact number is only on the weather. Overall NZ average should crack 21K.

Culturally diehard fans in Victoria sit behind the goals. AFL "cheer squad" influence.

Plus it's so cheap to do so in Melbourne
The best seats in the house may only be the best seats in the house for occasional attendees who watch most games from their sofas. Regular fans are more likely to prioritize proximity and atmosphere over panoramic views.

Would be a revealing experiment if some clubs took cost out of the equation and priced all seats the same for a whole season.

APPSY

Juniors
So what's the general consensus regarding calculating home game averages? I personally believe that we should include magic round as we inclue games at neutral venues (Darwin, etc.) as home games for teams. At the same time though, a counter argument could be to include that game into the average for all teams that played.

yakstorm

First Grade
If you remove the one home game they took to Darwin, Parramatta has averaged 18,901 at Commbank (down 10% from 20,924 in 2022). 5 of their 10 home games at Commbank drew over 20,000 this year (down from 6 in 2022).
Eels were unlucky early in the season. Season opener against Melbourne, Grand Final rematch against Penrith both being Thursday matches saw two matches which would have pushed for 25K capped at 17K.

jim_57

Staff member
So what's the general consensus regarding calculating home game averages? I personally believe that we should include magic round as we inclue games at neutral venues (Darwin, etc.) as home games for teams. At the same time though, a counter argument could be to include that game into the average for all teams that played.

I have no issue with it being counted at the full announced crowd for each game, not divided up over 2/3 games that day like some do. We don’t divide an NRL crowd by 2 because there is an NRLW game played before it. Magic round and double headers are designed to have all clubs involved playing in front of big crowds, that should be embraced.

It does make the averages a bit misleading but at the end of the day it’s easy enough to break it down in to all home games and home games at major venue.

I know it doesn't mean a lot in the context of potential crowd size yet, but the release of tickets for the R27 game between the Rabbitohs and the Roosters at Accor Stadium is a bit perplexing.

Tickets for all allocated seating sections are now down to single seats only. There's a swathe of general admission tickets still available at the northern and southern ends of the stadium, as well as the Burrow...but it begs the question - if the fans prefer allocated seating, why does Accor wait so long to release tickets on level 4?

1692421378946.png

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I have no issue with it being counted at the full announced crowd for each game, not divided up over 2/3 games that day like some do. We don’t divide an NRL crowd by 2 because there is an NRLW game played before it. Magic round and double headers are designed to have all clubs involved playing in front of big crowds, that should be embraced.
I like this thinking and it should be embraced. :p

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I know it doesn't mean a lot in the context of potential crowd size yet, but the release of tickets for the R27 game between the Rabbitohs and the Roosters at Accor Stadium is a bit perplexing.

Tickets for all allocated seating sections are now down to single seats only. There's a swathe of general admission tickets still available at the northern and southern ends of the stadium, as well as the Burrow...but it begs the question - if the fans prefer allocated seating, why does Accor wait so long to release tickets on level 4?

View attachment 78254
Stadium tenants like to walk the tightrope of hire fees vs ticket revenue.

Forcing everyone to sit in the lower bowl saves them from the increased fee that Accor will charge for the opening of level 4. I'm sure they'll open it soon though.

yakstorm

First Grade
Stadium tenants like to walk the tightrope of hire fees vs ticket revenue.

Forcing everyone to sit in the lower bowl saves them from the increased fee that Accor will charge for the opening of level 4. I'm sure they'll open it soon though.
Yeap, Accor is also interested in keeping their own costs down when it comes to staffing.

Opening level 4 means more staff need to be put on from a security, catering and service perspective and they can't really move those people upstairs just because GA is half sold by the nature of it being GA and people can sit anywhere.

APPSY

Juniors
It’s a hard ground to call tbh
Yeah mate, especially since 8 sections of the stadium is dedicated to GA.. Plus we're at 11,000 members (Last updated in a members mail in April), yet half don't even show up. Guaranteeing you that probably less than half are full season members too. But, if we can pull crowds like this when we're 14th, I will take it.

Latest posts